FitBit

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Does anyone own a Fitbit? Do you find it a good motivator to exercise? I would love to join a gym but it's just not in my budget. Are there any sort of games or exercise programs I could move along to at home? With summer quickly approaching it's simply too hot to be walking outside. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Printer

Amber:

I was/am in a study in the CF Clinic at Boston Childrens Hospital that is funded by Fitbit. Like all CF studies there are 2 groups, one who got Fitbits on day one and those who got Fitbits after 6 months. I was/am in the latter group. First, it is a great monitor of exercise. It is set up so you can join groups for support and competition. I would suggest that you purchase one, worst case you end up with a nice watch.

Bill

MissAlexsBP

Hi!

I do not have a FitBit, but I have a Garmin Vivofit and I LOVE it! Garmin has an app that can show you your steps, sleep, miles, and tracks your progress. Through the app (it's a free app), you can also 'challenge' people to see who can get more steps. The Vivofit also has a 'lazy bar,' as I call it, and it becomes red if you are stationary for a certain amount of time. I think it has helped me a lot; instead of staying stationary, I try to get my steps in.

As far as exercise, I do not know if you have anywhere you can walk/jog (even inside since it's getting hot), but there is an app called C25K (Couch to 5K), which I have used and loved. It is intended as an 8-week program to get you from the couch to successfully completing a 5K within 30ish minutes. Each week the walk/jog ratio changes, but it has verbal commands and walks you through the process (pun intended :)). Truthfully, I have kept repeating the first week because that is still a struggle for me, so I do the first week when I go on a walk/jog.

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

Michellene

Does anyone own a Fitbit? Do you find it a good motivator to exercise? I would love to join a gym but it's just not in my budget. Are there any sort of games or exercise programs I could move along to at home? With summer quickly approaching it's simply too hot to be walking outside. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I have a FitBit and I really love it. I have the Charge2. I originally had a Charge and I was able to really apply it in my daily life and become more fit. I am a mom to a CFer and my young man with CF (12) really wants one.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Thank you for the feedback everyone. Bill, I'm also currently enrolled in a Fitbit study at my local clinic. I was given a Fitbit One. It's not a bracelet but can be attached to a clip. I wear it on my shirt. I'm enjoying it so far. It's interesting to see how much I've walked from day to day. I'm using the sleep tracker and recording my weight as well. MissAlex- I really wish mine had the alert to get up and move but I'm still happy with what I have for now. I downloaded the iPhone App and receive weekly progress e-mails. It's really neat to learn new technology!

Enjoy the weekend
Hugs,