pollen

M

monds1234

any one here allergic to pollen and what does it do it used to never bother but my lungs have been going downwards and i think this is what may be bothering me cuz for the past week ive been caughing alot more and it seems to be harder to breath my lungs feel really congested could this be due to pollen because it is high at this time of the year where i live i dont sneeze or have runny nose but

P

pencf

Pollen

My daughter has been coughing more and more the last few wks., kind of a drippy cough, post nasal drip actually. Doing Flonase or Nazonex helps. It always happens this time of year, but has her lung functions decrease her tolerance does too. I am not sure what allergens are in the air right now, a few wks ago I would have said mushroom pollen cause I starting seeing them popping up in my yard.

any one here allergic to pollen and what does it do it used to never bother but my lungs have been going downwards and i think this is what may be bothering me cuz for the past week ive been caughing alot more and it seems to be harder to breath my lungs feel really congested could this be due to pollen because it is high at this time of the year where i live i dont sneeze or have runny nose but

A

Allansarmy

Hello there monds1234,

I have been an allergy nurse for 18 years now. This time of year is pretty common to have your type of symptoms. The most common pollen this time of year is Ragweed (one plant can produce up to a billion pollen grains and spread up to 400 miles) regardless I am sure it grows where you live. Since I am not a doctor I can't really tell you what to take. First thing is consider getting allergy tested. Skin testing via Intradermal is by far the best and accurate methodology available to date. This is where a very small amount of allergen is placed just beneath the dermal layer of the skin. Its best to not only be tested for Ragweed but a number of things at the same time. So in my opinion Dust mite, House Dust, Danders (Cat and Dog), Pollens (Grasses, Trees, Weeds) and molds are appropriate. This will not only tell you for sure if it is indeed an allergy trigger but it can help you prophylactically prepare for the allergy season if its indeed a pollen. If it happens that you have some indoor things (for example Dust mites) then there is several things that you can do to help lower your allergic load. Once you help lower your allergic load it can help with other things that you are exposed to.

I can tell you a few things that are safe. Consider nasal washes like the one from Neil Med. The sinus rinse (use distilled water only) works wonders for people with allergic rhinitis. It helps wash the pollen out of the sinus in a safe and effective way. It also helps wash the other thick mucus and overall has been known to lower the amount of sinus infections you may get. Take your shoes off by the front door as it may track in pollen from outdoors. Change your clothes immediately when you are home for the day. Take showers at night, this will help wash the pollen out of your hair and skin so your not bringing that into your bed.

If you get tested and you test positive enough, the doctor may recommend immunotherapy. This has been around for over 100 years now. It has some risks but it is still safe for even pregnant people to take. Immunotherapy is designed to dramatically reduce allergic rhinitis.

Hope this helps.

-Michael

JENNYC

I just wanted to chime in. I don't have CF but my son and I do suffer from severe allergies. I was sick with sinus infections probably more than I was well. We are both on immunotherapy now and our lives have completely changed!! It is wonderful!! I know everyone is different, but I am one that attest that it worked miracles for us. My lung function was worse than my dad who was a smoker before I started, I couldn't even do more than 2 minutes on an elliptical and I am in pretty good shape and only 33, was 30 at the time. And now boy I can get up and go!! Just wanted to chime in! Good luck!!

K

kgfrompa

My Allergies are really making my lungs work over time I get shots and take Singulair and flonase.The Doctors office said this is going to be the worst season on record.I just got off IVS after three weeks but Living in North west PA in the mountains and Ragweed every where I am having a tough time!