Surprising Results with Essential Oils! Give it a Go!

T

TheSaltyOne

"Thieves Oil" and "RC" is the only oils that I buy from Young Living, simply because I haven't found any other company that offers "Thieves" oil, but once I run out I will probably make my own using the same ingredients. From their site it says the blend includes:

Clove† (Syzygium aromaticum), lemon† (Citrus limon), cinnamon† (Cinnamomum verum), Eucalyptus radiata† and rosemary† (Rosmarinus officinalis CT 1,8 cineol).

To be honest.. I haven't noticed any "wonders" from thieves but the person that teached me about the oils swears by it. R.C oil is suppose to be great for airways and especially sinuses. Includes a lot of the different Eucalyptus oils. The ingredients are:

Eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, myrtus communis oil, pinus sylvestris (pine) leaf oil, origanum majorana (marjoram) leaf oil, eucalyptus radiata leaf oil, eucalyptus citriodora leaf oil, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, cupressus sempervirens oil, tsuga canadensis leaf oil, and mentha piperita (peppermint) oil.

Thank you so much for your support. I really hope I can get it for android to. I noticed my old android phone is broken when I was trying to test it out today. So no hope there as well. I'll keep ya updated though!

T

TheSaltyOne

kristenj and of course i know you are waiting for the android version but if you like it enough please spread the word as much as you can so that drug companies, etc, can see how desired it is to sponsor it.

Also, yes I have ran my Ace diffuser all night but only when I'm really feeling bad. I usually will run it 5 min. on and 15 min. off if I run it all night. I don't necessarily believe it does that much while you are sleeping because you toss and turn and what not, but when I'm really feeling bad I will do that. It seems like it might work but I really think the most beneficial is when you can lean into the diffuser whenever it is on.

ladybird

I just got my first essential oil from Young Living - Eucalyptus, and am nebulizing 5 drops in 15 ml of sterile water. (I got my doc to prescribe me the sterile water for sinus rinses.) I think nebulizing may work better than diffusing as it presumably creates smaller droplets? Plus this way, I don't have to buy a diffuser - the oils are expensive enough - and I know it is going directly into my lungs. Does anyone else have experience with nebulizing them?

I did some research on essential oils and have decided on following the recommendation for 'pulmonary fibrosis' from Dr. Scott A. Johnson's book, 'Surviving When Modern Medicine Fails". This was the closest condition to CF in the book.

He recommends:
Oral: 2 x capsules filled with 15 ml of orange oil 3 x a day;
Inhalation: 15 drops of eucalyptus and 5 drops each of frankincense, peppermint and lemon in a boiling pot of water with towel over head for inhalation 1 to 2 times a day;
Topical: mix 5 drops each of frankincense and eucalyptus and 2 drops wintergreen with 1 ounce of vegetable oil and apply to the back and chest twice daily.

I decided to introduce the oils one at a time, adding a new one after a couple of days so I could get a sense of what is working. I also read on this forum of another CFer who had success with eucalyptus so I am hopeful.

Will post update soon.

kristenj

Hey everyone, we'll I've started my diffusing oils experiment! So far I've only been diffusing eucalyptus (15 drops of oil with 2/3 bottle of distilled h20, 5 minutes on, 15 minutes off in the Aroma Ace Diffuser). Has anyone noticed irritation at first? It's only been one night so I want to give the oils a chance to work but so far my lungs feel kinda cruddy and irritated with mild streaking (my lungs have a tendency to streak anyway:( ). Hoping with a few more nights I will notice a difference!!! I'd love your thoughts!

T

TheSaltyOne

kristenj I've not diffused oils for about a week then when I start back up I will usually cough for the first 15 min or so. I have never had streaking though. Also if you are only going to give one oil a try or be conservative with them to start out with Eucalyptus is good, but definitely try LemonGrass if you can. I've met people with that never knew about diffusing the oils but still know about putting lemongrass on the bottom of their shower tub. So if you are looking for a quick result I believe eucalyptus might open you up more and it is considered an "expectorant" but I know lemongrass is suppose to be the best for killing the bacteria. Keep us updated on how well it works for you.

kristenj

Thanks Saltyone! I'm trying not to get discouraged. Seems every little thing makes my lungs bleed:(. I was kind of afraid to try lemongrass because I thought I remembered you saying it was more irritating....? As far as the eucalyptus goes, I actually feel more congested and tight chest than before. Boo. It's only been two nights and I know sometimes oils detox you as well. I'm not sure how long I should try...maybe a week?

M

Mark_s83

Has anyone tried diffusing with a nebulizer or the Pari unit for dispensing Cayston?

T

TheSaltyOne

kristenj when nebulizing it is more irritating. I tried nebulizing the oils one at a time. In that case Eucalyptus was the most soothing and lemongrass was unbearable to inhale cause of all the coughing. I now only diffuse the oils and rub them on topically. But when I first started all this I was hesitant and doubtful that the oils would work so I only bought lemongrass, frankincense, and oregano. The oregano I would rub on my feet and didn't notice much difference, but when I start to rub on the lemongrass and frankincense I started to notice a difference and a major difference when I started diffusing the two. So my point was that if you were to only try a couple oils to see the effect they have on you or to build your confidence that they work I would highly suggest trying lemongrass first and frankincense if possible.

That is strange that you feel tighter after diffusing the eucalyptus though. I hope that you have Eucalyptus Radiata. There are many different kinds of eucalyptus but radiata is suppose to be the best for respiratory. Secondly eucalyptus globulus has gotten some good results. I mainly only use eucalyptus radiata in my blends and sinus rinses since I stopped the nebulizing. I have heard, like you said, that in some cases you will feel tighter and cough more at the beginning just because it's breaking everything up, but I did not experience that when I began diffusing. But overall ya I would give it 2-3 weeks of consistent use of whatever oils you choose to use before you make a final judgement on how well they work for you.

Mark_s83 I have not "diffused" with a nebulizer as in holding it slightly away from my face but I have tried nebulizing the oils in a pari neb and holding it my mouth. It was a bad experience except for eucalyptus radiata oil. When I used eucalyptus (2 drops) with 2 ml of saline it was soothing but after 2 weeks I did not notice any improvements in how I was actually feeling.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Mark_s83, Essential oils by definition are Volatile Organic Compounds or VOC's both terms are referring to the essence sensed by smell not essential as in everything necessary included. Lavender oils range from essential oils sold to perfumeries to heavy plant oils best suited for animal feed.

Nebulizing a light essential oil should be possible although I can't recommend it or recommend against it if MRSA, P.a. or steno or such is the problem. Whatever you decide to try nebulizing it should be an oil that you're not the least sensitive to. Use a dedicated nebulizer piece because it may not be usable for anything water based once oils have been atomized. Try one or two breaths and take a long break to determine if an allergic reaction is going to occur. Keep an EpiPen handy and once you're satisfied that your air ways aren't going to swell closed, continue nebulizing 2 to 4 cc of a chosen essential oil.

I have worked with hundreds of essential oils and most will evaporate instantaneously when droppered onto a hot cup of water. In other words you warm the oil in a brandy snifter partially filled with hot water or over a flame and inhale the vapors. Some essential oils are destroyed at their boiling point or below and a nebulizer will atomize most essential oils so you have choices.

Try nebing one essential oil long enough to know what it does before trying another. Thieves oil combinations might be a good first choice. I believe in keeping my doctor in the loop. It might surprise most new wave medical enthusiasts just how many doctors are open to alternative medical treatments but keep quiet until the patient brings it up.

Be willing to accept or reject any new therapy once you have given it a fair try.

I hope this works, good luck,

LL

humphrey711

Could these oils be used to prevent infection of psuedonomas or MRSA? My daughter is 7 and has never cultured either but I will do what I can to prevent it. She did have her first hospital admission last year for a week and was on IV antibiotics. She is doing well so far this year but we will try almost anything to make sure she stays that way.

Thanks for sharing this information!

kristenj

Hi Saltyone! Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't nebulized the oils because I don't think my lungs could handle it. I do have eucalyptus radiata. I started with that one because I thougot it might be the least irritating. Good news is that last night was night #3 and this morning my streaking was less, my lungs felt more open than yesterday and I am clearing out good. So onward with the experiments:)! I think I will stick with eucalyptus for a bit since my lungs are SO sensitive and then move onto the lemongrass and frank, both of which a my favorite oils! Thanks for all the advice! Hope you are doing well!!!

M

Mark_s83

Has anyone tried diffusing with a nebulizer or ultrasonic unit used for Cayston?

kristenj

Mark, My CF doctors did not recommend nebulized the oils directly...I have heard from others that they can be more irritating that way. I've been diffusing in an Aroma Ace diffuser. Not sure what other people have experienced with this. My lungs are ultra sensitive so I was afraid to nebulize anyway.

M

Mark_s83

Thanks for your advice LittleLab4CF. I tried oregano oil, one drop, in a cup of hot water. Burned my nose and slightly irritated my lungs, but seems to have opened me up a little. Don't have any other oils at present. Do you have a suggestion for brands?

W

Wldhrtd1

I have an 18 y.o son.. At his last visit at clinic, his cultures grew sensitive staf and pseudomonas... as usual. His last 7 months PFT's were 85, 94 and back to 85.. He was part of the Vertex drug study out of MGH in Boston.. He blew 94 while IN the study?! Hmmm, coincidence??Anyway.. I have been reading and rereading this thread and he is up for trying the oregano essential oil. He did mention it to his doc so he knows we're going to try it.. Essential oils straight are not great for your skin as they can burn so we're using a carrier oil or adding it to a cream. Can wait to see the next culture!!! Thanks!!

ladybird

Cassia (cinnamon), Red Thyme and Peru Balsam essential oils are the most effective at killing P. Aeruginosa biofilms, in that order, with Cassia being about 5 times more effective than the next most effective, Red Thyme.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346404/
Selected Antimicrobial Essential Oils Eradicate Pseudomonas spp. And Staphylococcus aureus Biofilms
Nicole L. Kavanaugh and Katharina Ribbeck[SUP]
C:\Users\Ingrid\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
[/SUP]

See also http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38132 for info on how cold-pressed orange oil is effective against TB and MAC

In vitro effects of citrus oils against Mycobacterium tuberculosis and non-tuberculous Mycobacteria of clinical importance

Philip G. Crandall a , Steven C. Ricke a , Corliss A. O’Bryan a & Nicole M. Parrish

Center for Food Safety and Department of Food Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA

Division of Medical Microbiology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

S

senia31

Hi,thank you for the information.I just ordered a diffuser and I'm going to try YL essential oils for my son.could you please tell how do you mix Thieves,how many drops do you use every time with the diffuser and when you rub.A few days ago we received my son's throat culture and unfortunately he has pseudo(for the first time),I'm very hopeful that the oil will help him eradicate it.thank you:)

T

TheSaltyOne

senia31 - I'm sure you have the oils by now but you do not have to mix thieves. It comes as a blend (already mixed). I rub 2 drops of each oil I want to use on the bottoms of my feet morning and night. Then I also will make my own blend (I usually use 12-15 drops of each oil that I want and mix them into one vial) using around 6 different oils and I diffuse this for one hour 2 times a day. It has worked wonders!