To all the green smoothies drinkers...and anyone with pseudo!!

Tisha

Thanks, Rob (rmotion)!! Such interesting remarks. I'd love to keep more in touch with you and brainstorm ideas. I've never liked sweets much, so I've always stayed away from those calory shakes they hospital gives. I don't have a g-tube (thank goodness!!).
But that red cabbage smoothie, it makes for a lot of servings, doesn't it?? I was just thinking today of creating some kind of shake/smoothie to drink first thing in the morning so I can schedule my physical activity before breakfast without passing out. I'll have to look into smoothies with vegetables and in particular red cabbage. Any recipe website you could tip me of?

Tisha

PS. I recently discovered I'm gluten intolerant, too!! So which are "right carbs" that you mention?

epicurus

I agree that having CF is not a licence to eat junk food! We need top quality nutrition and lots of green vegetables to help to alkalise the body. An acidic body will encourage bacterial infection.

I have a healthy green juice every morning - check out my video for the recipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR1r6aI1sMU&feature=player_embedded

Juicing is very cleansing and detoxifying for the liver.

The body gets all the benefit of pure live nutrients without having to expend the effort of eating and digesting all the raw vegetables. It's a great way to start the day.

Benefits of Juicing:

- Easy to digest
- No need to take any pancreatic enzymes with a glass of juice!
- Raw live nutrients

- Juicing leafy greens is an excellent way to detoxify your liver.
- Chlorophyll (in leafy greens) helps to alkalise your body.

More tips for staying healthy on my blog - http://www.cfandhealthy.blogspot.com.au

M

mom2can

"such an inspiration/concoction that I burned out my blender." LOL!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!! Your post was beyond interesting and enjoyable to read, btw.

Courtney

CF and Nutrition

We are suffering from a perfect storm of health problems

1. Metabolic syndrome - Long term blood sugars, not controlled properly in the body, taxes the system to where most Cf's adults get clinical CFRD. This can be avoided, irrespective of what clinical outlines say. If we don't tax our systems we can do better. Learn about blood sugar and how we are so affected by it.

2. Nutrient Mal-absorbtion - We cant absorb the right amount of nutrients especially fats. This is such a catch 22 that it is so imperitive to get our stomachs straightend out so we get nutrients we need to live. For me it was finding out that I have a gluten intolerance once I was gluten free my health did a 120, notice it was not a 180 - the other 60 degrees is the right carbs and healthy foods. Still work in progress for the rest

3. Inflammation of cells and lungs - We cant help it our immune systems just don't shut off, it causes long term damage. I remember once asking what CRP is on my labs. I was quickly answered that in CF it is always high no need to worry about it. I accepted and moved on. Well what it is besides just an indicator of heart disease but an indicator of unbridled inflammation in our bodies namely our lungs. Its like we have a non stop splinter and our lungs are always inflamed. I bet if we got this under control we would have a 25% bump in PFT's if we got rid of the pseudomonas we would get another 25% bump.

4. Congestion caused by defect in respiratory transport channels - Ah yes the underlying disease mechanism that causes this all. Isnt it interesting that we are here at all. So something must be working to get this far. Isnt it true that babies with Cf lungs are clear and not affected for a few years. Is there something we are missing what really makes us sick and how can we address this. If we are wrong from the beginning what hope so us 41 year olds have.

We have to outline our objectives. Do we want to just gain weight or gain health.

We have to look at everything we know and reverse it, the answer is not as it seems. In the inventors world we call it "reverse assumption", question everything from the opposite angle.

Ie: It is prescribed that eat lots of calories, fat sugar and what not, irrespective of where nutritionally they come from. The goal is to gain weight, so we hit a number to make our CF clinic look good, not control disease process. Traditional medicine just looks at the symptom not the body's healing processes. Lets look at this what would be better an almond butter smoothie sweetened with honey or a milky way and pizza? Hard boiled eggs, olive oil squash or a tv dinner. NO question right.

I saw a commercial for KFC the other day. One time I might of thought what they were showing might be appetizing but now that fried chicken, fries and a roll looks revolting, all this processed dead food that is actually anti nutrient value your body has to work harder to digest and process this junk. It might be 1500 calories but is just horrible for those that want better health. Nutrients are just a transfer of energy the more intact they are the easier it is to get utilized by the body. So what your saying is become a low calorie vegetarian far from it. We need a hunter gatherer diet, gluten free, inflammation controlled diet, raw and some vegetarian but meats and protein too. Fruits and veggies no sugar or processed crap.

Look at the example of Steve Jobs, whose recent death just highlights the extreme, of it doesn't matter how much money you have or who you know you cant out run poor nutrition which leads to cancer. Cancer is just the body's last ditch effort to save itself, so is celiac. In both cases it is a nutritional chaos and the body is practicing self protection. Dr Mercola - Steve Jobs

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...z-on-steve-jobs.aspx?e_cid=20111009_SNL_Art_1

fficeffice" />> >

Look at this article www.greenmedinfo.com "The Dark Side of Wheat"

With CF there is no short cut to health, we have to take a hard look at what we have in stock what is working and where we can optimize our health. We have to work harder and smarter. We have to do what our CF docs say and we have to do what the most aggressive Natural Doc and nutritionists do and say. We don't have the celebrities or big wigs with CF, CF keeps most of us harranged and just fighting most of the time it is tough to make it in a non CF world, the CFF does nothing in this area so we are on our owns. Question if it can be better we have to do something different something more.

Recently I just did a tune up and I made an unofficial tally of who is doing what in terms of what needs to be done in terms of good health.

1. Patients in the hospital order Coke, pizza, jello in large quantities, bad

2. Nurses run on Diet cokes and Starbucks

3. Doctors are often times overweight and just as unhealthy as anyone else.

Recently an associate of mine who works in a cancer hospital just went to a funeral service for a cancer doctor who just died of cancer. Really, when are we going to give nutrition a go as the first stop for long term health. It's just crazy.

We gain weight with a g-tube but the problem is that low value calories and sugar are just stored in adipose fat (usually around the middle) so we gain weight but most of it is in our bellies. I switched from high glycemic carbs to those from squash or sweet potatos and initially lost a little weight but what I did not realize is that I gained it in muscle without even trying. My diabelly tire slimmed down, interesting. Now each day I have new awareness of what to eat and what I can bolus in my g-tube. Yesterday I had such an inspiration/ concoction that I burned out my blender. Today I am off to buy a commercial blender to really get at it. I also use a slow juicer that slowly juices the fruits and veggies to extract more nutrients without destroying them. www.hurom.com

Too much sugar taxes the body and over long term is detrimental to our health and ability to stay well. I often wonder if I know what I know now and did not have CF what could I accomplish. Would I be as motivated and determined. Don't know many healthy people are not, they are lazy or tired or don't care about their health because they don't have to do anything for it they just take it for granted. Well baby walk a breathless mile in my shoes and you will gain some perspective! >>

Sugar fuels our cells but also pseudomonas cells. An excess of sugar allows these pathogens to grow uninhibited.

Sugar is too easy to get and not necessary for mass consumption.

It is ridiculously hard to avoid Dr. Pepper and sugar in my tea. But I look at it as not what I am giving up but what I am gaining. I am gaining better health. Now I am 41 I just wish I put this together at 21 or 12!

If you subscribe to the belief that as man evolved he had to hunt and gather his food, only when he started to farm did his diet get worse. In the case of sugar it was a rare commodity and not readily available. Lets say you eat an apple and it has 1or 2 tsp of sugar, natural fructose with all the companion nutrients, fiber etc that slow the digestion of the sugar versus high fructose corn sugar that is basically a chemical that is rapidly absorbed your body has difficulty utilizing it so it creates a cascade of negative events. One it is stored as adipose fat, two causes inflammation three it fuels pathogens. You'd have to eat 10-15 apples to get the sugar equivalent of 1 soda. Sugar in sodas is too easy thus we have so many problems in regular people we have an overweight epidemic and diabetes > IN Cf we just get the diabetes and inflammation and congestion. It's a lose lose for us.

I can tell a CF'er a mile away, besides the cough, our sound of voice and thin arms and hunched back what is especially clear, self included, when I look in the mirror there is a fallow palor in our faces, a lackI just saw a picture of a young guy with CF who's parent are of some decent financial means and pull with the CF community but his color is off I want to email him and say that even though you are tall and growing your getting too much sugar! . One thing I do notice is that as a group Cf's tend to look younger than most of the same age, is this due to lack of growth or something else. There is a big movement that practices caloric restriction they say it is beneficial and reduces metabolic stress. Well I don't think CF's should restrict our calories but we might be practicing this by default. Not sure just a thought. It is the same look one can attribute to a long term smoker, their bodies are so deplete of nutrients it shows in their faces and hair, voice etc.

> >

Bottom line we need to be uber healthy with CF a larger tougher order to fill in what is an overwhelming disease. But working smarter and different will make you feel better leading to be able to do more.

-------------------------
Rob 37 yo/male w/cf, married 1 dog!
Report this to a Moderator
Reply : Quote : Top : Bottom : Edit
Quick Reply

Cystic Fibrosis » Nutrition » We are suffering from a perfect storm of health problems

rmotion

Good carbs

PS. I recently discovered I'm gluten intolerant, too!! So which are "right carbs" that you mention?
LIjke any thing good carbs are real food. not processed food even though it is gluten free.
ie gluten free cookies are gluten free but just sugar, corn starch and rice flour not real nutritious.
here is a cookie i make that is just awesome and healthy
sunflower raw cookies
1 cup raw sunflower flour - Grind up in a food mill or slow juicer - or even a regular blender with liquids

2 tsp of coconut palm sugar - low glycemic
1/4 cup rice milk, coconut milk or water
2 tbls finely ground carrot - i take the grounds from slow juicer - but you can make in blender too
1 tbls of apple sauce

Blend together in a mixer or blender

1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds or almond or walnut or brazil nuts (high in selenium good for us cf's)

add the sunflower and raisins after blending the wet ingredients

scoop up tsp size amount and place and flatten on food dehydrator (paraflexx paper works well for this)
dehydrate for 12-24 hours depending on temp

note you can "bake these in a conventional oven too - low heat around 200 for 20 minutes - but double check never did it this way.

rmotion

Thanks, Rob (rmotion)!! Such interesting remarks. I'd love to keep more in touch with you and brainstorm ideas. I've never liked sweets much, so I've always stayed away from those calory shakes they hospital gives. I don't have a g-tube (thank goodness!!).
But that red cabbage smoothie, it makes for a lot of servings, doesn't it?? I was just thinking today of creating some kind of shake/smoothie to drink first thing in the morning so I can schedule my physical activity before breakfast without passing out. I'll have to look into smoothies with vegetables and in particular red cabbage. Any recipe website you could tip me of?

I like the red cabbage idea
been looking at the issue of anthocyanins, bilberry can fight psesudo but now looking at othersPlants rich in anthocyanins are Vacciniumspecies, such as
blueberry,
cranberry,and
bilberry;
Rubus berries, including blackraspberry, red raspberry, and blackberry;blackcurrant,cherry, eggplant peel,black rice,Concordgrape, muscadine grape, red cabbage,and violetpetals.
Red-fleshed peaches are rich inanthocyanins.[SUP][11][/SUP]
The highest recorded amountappears to be specifically in the seed coatof black soybean(Glycine max L. Merr.) containing some 2,000 mg per 100 g[SUP][12][/SUP]and in skins and
pulp of black chokeberry(Aronia melanocarpa L.) (table).
However, the Amazonian palmberry,açaí,having about 320 mg per 100 g[SUP][13][/SUP] ofwhich cyanidin-3-glucoside is the most prevalentindividual anthocyanin (approximately 10 mg per 100 g),[SUP][14][/SUP] isalso a high-content source for which only a small fraction of totalanthocyanins has been determined to date. Due to critical differences in sampleorigin, preparation and extraction methods determining anthocyanin content,[SUP][15][16][/SUP] thevalues presented in the adjoining table are not directly comparable.
Nature, traditional agriculture,and plant breeding have produced various uncommon crops containinganthocyanins, including blue- or red-flesh potatoes and purple or red broccoli,cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, and corn. Tomatoes have been bred conventionallyfor high anthocyanin content by crossing wild relatives with the common tomato to transfera gene called theanthocyanin fruit tomato (aft) gene into a larger and more palatablefruit.[SUP][17][/SUP]

So here is a great smoothie recipe
2 Bananas
1/2 Cup acai
1/2 Blueberry
1/4 cup red cabbage
1/4 brazil nuts
2 tbl Rice or whey protein
1/2 cup rice milk or apple juice
1/2 cup ice or vanilla frozen yogurt or sherbert

rmotion

For you smoothie drinkers what blender do you use? Mine just broke and I am looking into the expensive Vitamix or Blendtec but don't want to spend the money if something works just as good.
sorry fo rthe late response
i use the ninja blender and the magic bullet.
ninja cuts everyting up and the magic bullet makes it very smooth, but if you can only get one get the ninja

warriormom

Re smoothie recipes

look up my almond smoothie
and acai smoothie in the nutrtion section - good to drink and good for you.

RMotion, I love your recipes and totally agree with your emphasis on quality nutrition. My challenge is my son will not drink smoothies. I have to do it all through his tube and the trick is finding ingredients that won't clog his feeding. I do use a vita mix but still much of the ingredients do not go through. Any sugestions are greatly appreciated.

G

goherbs87654

Hi I have one question in mind, is there any possibility that red cabbage and blueberry have a bad reaction inside the body? What I thought is blue berry is an acid and trying to mix it with a vegetable, it could have some sort of reaction. Just wondering.

verix

Juicing RED CABBAGE seems to help getting rid of PA!!

My son had a positive culture of PA in January. First time ever; considering that he is 10 y/o, diagnosed at 4 months old, I feel even lucky because he has been PA free for that long, I knew it was just about time to get PA, I spend endless hours reading about CF, in this forum and other sources, as a trained mom, I was alert for the next CF battle.
The Dr. prescribed TOBI to my son, (first time on inhaled antibiotic), she suggested one month on, do the culture again, one month off, and then, with the culture results back, to take a decision about a more aggressive treatment, such as 3 months on TOBI, or IV's...
Well, with the bitter news, I order the meds and, at same time, searched for non invasive, non harmful natural help. I read in this forum, I guess, something about RED CABBAGE. A study that suggested that the red pigment in red cabbage has antibiotic properties, specially to kill PA!
I started juicing the whole family twice a day with a combination of red cabbage with apple and carrot, for a sweeter taste. When Tobi arrived, my son started the monthly treatment and kept the juicing as new healthy habit. And a month later, we went back to the clinic, the ptfs went back to baseline, they take a culture, which 2 weeks later was negative. Doctor advice me, this can be a false negative, sometimes happen: Come back in a month for another culture.
Guess what? We have FOUR NEGATIVE CULTURES in a row. Dr is excited, my son surpassed his baseline from fev 85% to 96%. Five months and we still juicing... after all is a great source of vitamins for all of us... and who knows, maybe red cabbage works... at least, will not harm my son...
Please, if you find this experience interesting, please tell your doctor. I am not taking any treatment away from our CF clinic, I am just trying to add some magic from the wisdom of the kitchen. I feel that juicing red cabbage has changed our life, but, again, this may be just silly thoughts of a mom.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Can someone tell me exactly what a green smoothie is and where I get recipes for one that a child who hates fruits and vegetables might drink?!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Verix, can you give me a recipe for your cabbage smoothie? I'm thick headed. I could really use a ballpark at proportions as well as each ingredient.

rmotion

RMotion, I love your recipes and totally agree with your emphasis on quality nutrition. My challenge is my son will not drink smoothies. I have to do it all through his tube and the trick is finding ingredients that won't clog his feeding. I do use a vita mix but still much of the ingredients do not go through. Any sugestions are greatly appreciated.

A nutribullet has the power to really mix that up. Look up Blenderize Diet. or a book call Complete Tubefeeding

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011315p30.shtml