Warding off asthma attacks with a drink?

imported_Momto2

OK, I am NOT advocating the alcoholic type here, especially since it gives me gout! What I am talking about is drinking a super-chilled drink slowly through a straw when I feel the tightness of asthma coming on. Even something simple as ice water helps a lot. Amazingly, it seems to numb the nerve responsible for causing uncontrollable dry hacking for me. I have to sip slowly and really get the fluid to the back of my throat, then swallow slowly. A caffinated and carbonated cold drink seems the best for putting an attack on the back burner. If I am in a public situation or in a car, it least it buys me some time. Anyone else notice this? Have similar experiences? Other weird stuff to control the coughing?

ej0820

I've felt this too. Getting a drink when I'm coughing or about to start helps me more often than not, which is not typical of CF coughing. I've come across many people who dread having coughing fits in front of people who insist on getting them a drink of water b/c it's not going to do anything. I'm the opposite. I have really bad asthma and inflammation so dry cough spells are frequent for me. The colder the drink, the better, certainly! Fizz seems to really help, too. Often, and I know this probably makes no sense whatsoever, but when I feel a dry coughing spell coming on, if I drink enough fizzy something to make me burp, the burp is relieving to my stomach and my chest.

imported_Momto2

Erin, yup, sounds like me : ) Doesnt get much better than ice-cold diet coke at those moments! I also find that Tussin CF can help head stuff off, as well as a small dose of hydrcodone. (learned that one after so many bouts of broken ribs). Not that I would recommend a narcotic, but when the coughing fits/back strain/ect is really really bad, it can reduce the bronchospasms to a managable level for a short period of time. It really does help control the coughing, especially if I know I have to go to an important function that I KNOW the environment will set my lungs into a downward spiral in a matter of minutes. It acts as a muscle relaxer somehow, my lungs arent as reactive. My CF doc has said he's had several folks where this has been the case.

hmw

Caffeine acts as a bronchodilator (I am sure not as powerful of one as a medication) ...maybe iced coffee / iced tea with lots of ice are good choices as well. :)

JORDYSMOM

I drink ice cold water for the same reason. Now if a frozen margarita is the only thing available.... ;) I'm just kidding. Like you said, sometimes it buys you just enough time, but it absolutely does help.

Stacey

T

trghpu1994

I have had asthma all of my life. The doctors have discovered that a lot of my breathing problems lately have come from my one vocal chord that works becoming irritated and making it feel like I was having breathing problems. Water they said and swallowing would help to relax the cords making breathing easier.

K

Kate E

Weird I always find a nice hot cup of sugary tea is the only thing that will help my hacking cough

W

windex125

OMG this post has made my day, I am going thru this right now terrible hacking for 2-3 hrs. every day it is driving me to tears which is terrible. I always have Hydrcodone in the house, but hardly use it as the after effects make me feel really horrible. But it works like magic.My bottle said 2013 on it but yest I took a teaspoon at 1pm and it was like a facuet turing off but the neausea kicked in by 5pm lasted till 8pm. Does anyone have any suggestions. I also find that 2 glasses of red wine work as good, but I do not want to drink wine at 11am. Me the strong one is reduced to tears makes me even more angry at myself. I am just feeling so lost lately. Also don't judge my spelling I am just as bad at that. Any suggestions wld be so appreciated. Pat

dmac

I sometimes get those dry hacking coughs and it is hard to catch a breath sometimes. I, too, find that cold, fizzy, club soda helps. Also I take Tylenol #3 as it helps relax my chest and helps suppress the coughing. However, I've been on Tylenol #3 so many years now that it takes more as my body has become habituated to it. I am an older cf patient at 64 yrs. As time has gone on (many years), the coughing has made pain a daily difficult issue and the Tylenol #3 is the only thing that helps. Like someone else on this thread, hydrocodone gave me nausea. And anti-inflammatory drugs made me have hemoptysis. So, club soda and Tylenol #3 are my go to things in those situations. Coffee also helps as an anti-inflammatory as it has theophylline in it and there is a supplement called pycnogenol the helps with inflammation. A small study was done with asthma patients and it was found helpful. Perhaps they will test cf patients eventually as it does seem to help.

W

welshwitch

Sorry to hear about your asthma attacks! Weirdly, drinking alcohol sometimes MAKES me have an asthma attack. (Could it be the effects of the depressant wearing off?) Sorry to hear about your coughing. For me, getting plenty of rest, relaxing, and thinking about eliminating what is causing my increased coughing usually works. Getting to the source.

imported_Momto2

have you tried hopping in a hot shower for a while? Sometimes shocking my system with COLD but humidified air helps a lot. I havent had trouble with nausea from hydrocodone, but I take a pill. And I've also found Tussin CF helps a lot, or even popping a quick prednisone (although the effects of that can take a while). I cant do alcohol at ALL since I get gout from even a tiny amount. Good luck windex, you have others out there who truly do understand how hard this can be. I hope someones has mentioned something that helps you!!! Oh, did you take the hydrocodone on an empty stomach? Maybe some food too?

W

windex125

What kind of a pill do you take? I'll go buy the Tussin CF today give it a try and I made sure I ate a muffin before taking the Hydro but that did not help. I hate the fact that the Hydro works so great, but I hesitate using itas I know how I'll feel when it starts to wear off, but by then the hacking has stopped so maybe I shd just deal with the nausea? I am so drained from this every day. Also my back is killing me so I've been putting on the Lioderm Patches for that, and that helps. This is going on 3 mts. already the dry hacking I woke at 9am today it is now 12:05 and I am still hacking. I must also admit this does lead me at times to desperate thoughts. I only have one functioning lung the right is completely collapsed and does not even show upon the xray anymore, really weird lookg. I also sleep with o2 at night. If I was clearing with a lot of junk coming out I wld think well that's great but NOTHING usually till evening, that's when things flow. I hate to write and complain, I know we have so many others who suffer way more, but I am feeling so down and trapped in the house, I needed some suggestions I thank you all so much. Pat/59

acheter

I have had asthma all of my life. Water doctor said and swallowing would help to relax the cords making breathing easier.