Weight Gain

CysticAlex

In the past year, my Cystic Fibrosis has affected my diet and appetite quite badly. I have been told to eat more foods containing fat, as i am not putting on any weight. This is then messing with my creon tablets. I am very rarely hungry, and when i do eat, it is something full of fat to try and make me gain weight. This has led me to having a lack of nutritious food, and has caused the hospital to put me on Complan shakes. It is really affecting my health, and i dont know what to do anymore as i just keep losing weight, despite all my efforts to gain it. Any help/advice greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in hearing from those in the same situation as me, or who have been in the same situation as me to hear what they did to help.

kenna2

From time to time my appetite can fluctuate to where I will eat everything and anything, or i don't want any food at all. My doctor put me on Marinol and I've had no problem eating and gaining weight. It helped me even when NG Tube feeds wouldn't work, it's saved my life a couple of times. Marinol is a synthetic form of medical marijuana but it works. I started out taking it when I was in the hospital and then at home for a couple of months. Now that my weight is stable I only take it when I don't have an appetite at all or when I'm in the hospital. Another thing I would wanna know is are you diabetic? High blood sugars can really mess with your weight.

carolinen

I sympathise. I used to watch my diet carefully to avoid weight gain, but now I'm underweight and have vitamin deficiencies and osteoporosis. And when you've lost your appetite or are feeling sick from iv antibiotics, there's nothing worse than being pressed to eat. A friend bought be a blender, and making nutritious shakes that actually taste nice has really helped. I often start with an ensure nutrition shake but maybe you could use your complan as a base. Then I add banana, dates, honey,avocado, cream,full cream yogurt etc. I keep chunks of banana and avocado in the freezer and blitz them straight into the shake. I find having it really cold makes it easier to drink lots. I also find adding ginger or mint helps when I'm feeling nauseous. As you've found, concentrating too much on fats is counterproductive. I believe in trying to have real food, and food that's delicious and you actually want to eat, and then enriching it. So, your favourite food or soup, but with cream added to the sauce etc. Avocados and bananas are my go-to foods, as they are quite calorie dense but not too heavy. Hope that helps. Good luck.

fel

Are any of you on this thread pancreatic sufficient? My son is PS, but he is still struggling with low weight. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) he doesn't really care for junk food/fast food.

MissAlexsBP

Hi!

Are you on any appetite stimulants and/or receptive to taking them. It's a bummer to take another medication, but appetite stimulants have helped me a lot. Originally I was put on Megace, which made me an eating machine and I quickly gained 10 lbs. I was taken off Megace because it is known to raise blood sugars, however, I have been on Mirtazapine for a while now and it has helped me maintain my weight. Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck!

Praetorian

Alex,

I don't know your daily habits or energy levels, but what has worked for me so far is to focus on proteins and use fat as a secondary energy reserve to help digest and utilize the proteins. I dislike eating in general, so I have had to make it nearly regimental; make myself eat in moderation 5-6 times a day, rather than a great deal at a time fewer times.

I stray away from fat focus, despite long-time medical community suggestion, because it does exactly as you say: screws up enzyme measurement and bowels.

Exercise and a diet bent toward an athletic intake (1.5-2g protein per kg bodyweight per day) has helped me immeasurably. If your energy levels and schedule can handle it.

Another recommendation that has helped me a great deal in the last two-three years is cutting out modern wheat 100%. I made another threat about that in particular in the nutrition section if you have any interest in trying it. Digestion is way better and I am even using fewer enzymes.