Jobs for people with CF?

J

Jason1981

Hi, I've been reading this forum for awhile, and decided to post . Anyway, I'm 32..never had any kind of job, live with my dad and step-mom. I tried college years ago, but didn't even know what I wanted to do (this was back when I was living with my mom in Louisiana, instead of in the Fairfield/Susiun area of California. )

So...I have no job experience, no vehicle (except a bicycle, and there are buses...but the buses don't run every day here. ) and if I were able to go back to college (or some kind of trade school, maybe?), I have no idea what kind of job/career would be good for someone with CF. Doesn't help that I'm also a bit shy around people at first.

I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of jobs are good for someone with CF? I'll probably edit this later to describe my situation better, I guess.

Living with CF really sucks.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
My suggestion would be some kind of office work. What'd I'd suggest is you look at the various job openings and figure out what interests you and what doesn't require a lot of training. It might be a customer service on the telephone or web work. Look at the job require,nets and then look at tech or community college programs that are cheep. You don't want to go into debt for this. And the. In the meantime find a part time gig in a related area so you have so e work experience and make some connections. Rather than monster.com etc. I'd search for the names of local employers and then go to their webpages and look at the job openings posted on their web.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I do phone based customer service in the corporate office of a large company. before that, i worked as a bank teller for 3.5 years and was a nanny for a year right out of college. during college i worked several retail jobs (clothing stores) and did a couple summer stints in fast food to fund my laying around on the beach for a summer ;)
If you're more introverted (i am) maybe look into more admin type jobs. These also don't always require a college degree. You could look into getting at least an associates degree from a local community college and take a variety of courses to see what you might like. i had no idea what i wanted to do and majored in history because i liked it. as you can see from my work history i have not gone into a field where i used my specific knowledge of history (teaching or something like that) but the primary skills learned (reading, writing, research) translate to a lot of different fields so that helped me.
not all "work from home" jobs are scams so do your research and find a legit company that offers work from home options that you might qualify for.

marc0198

Get an endorsement in special education. There are lots of jobs, good benefits, and when you add summers to sick leave, personal leave, and winter and spring breaks, you get about four months off. Pay isn't great to start, but no one stops you from summer work if you need money.

peter

Of course you need to consider the air quality for whatever you do. If you do not have a regular exercise regimen you might like a physical job where lifting or physical stamina requires lung function. At first that may sound contradictory. If you look at the government labor statistics web site you may find some interesting job descriptions (and average pay regionally categorized) and options. All jobs have "ratings" with respect to various demands. Definitely lots you qualify for but I'm thinking you need the benefits of physical (maybe shy of "back braking" though) where coughing wouldn't be noticed or all least not be conspicuous and your serotonin and endorphin levels get boosted, your gamma nervous system gets utilized, and muscles tone up.

Simba15

I do not advise this! I worked i sped for many years. You are around ALOT of germs. Kids are not clean - they cough and sneeze everywhere. The stress of being a teacher is huge. I was discriminated against by a sped school for having CF.
Get an endorsement in special education. There are lots of jobs, good benefits, and when you add summers to sick leave, personal leave, and winter and spring breaks, you get about four months off. Pay isn't great to start, but no one stops you from summer work if you need money.

musclemania70

i agree. DO NOT GET A TEACHING JOB!!!
that is the worst possible scenario because all kids/teenagers do is carry germs around. CONSTANTLY. they are always touching things, each other, lockers, equipment, and pass it along to the next person. my best friend is a teacher and she is ALWAYS fighting colds.. not a good idea!
office work is a good suggestion!

Oboe

I remember someone linking a website in a similar thread at some point that hired disabled folk to do phone work, customer service stuff, from home. I think it was NTI@Home. I don't have any experience with them personally, but it might be something to look into.

MichaelL

I would also agree with the suggestion of office work. You'd have contact with less people than with a retail, restaurant or teaching job which means less exposure to germs. I worked in an office job for 22 years before my health declined. Offices employ people to do administrative type tasks such as working in a copy room, mail room or being an administrative assistant. Those will require some training but not as extensive. I know when I lived in Chicago there were schools for administrative training. Good luck!

J

Joe2007

A job that requires few business trips and does not put you in contact with numerous people would be ideal. Obviously you will have many more options if you develop skills. You need something to offer an employer. Getting computer/IT certifications may open many doors. Unskilled entry level jobs will pay you nothing and will adversely affect your health. Invest in yourself first before signing up for slave labor.

erock77

I chose office work partially b/c of my CF. I wouldn't recommend work where it's physically intensive, as Peter suggested. You may not always be up for that task, although exercise is good, don't make a career based on it if you know you get sick regularly or couldnt always handle it. If you know you cough a lot, stay away from food service.
Try a guidance counselor, book or online resource that might help you figure out your interests. Get some training first too. You want to walk into an interview with at least some applicable background. Unless it really doesn't need training.

calebf

Teach yourself Javascript and start coding web applications using the MEAN stack (Google it). You can teach yourself for free. It's in demand and will continue to be. To freelance (use a website like Elance) you don't need a certificate or degree, just do some projects for cheap and/or free to build your profile. Once you've got some clients you'll make good money ($50+/hr) while adhering to your own schedule.

rmotion

First question is what are you good at and what do you like to do?
What is the status of your current health? What can you do to be healthier and thus work more or differently.
What hobbies, interests or activities have you done in the past.
Unless you have been sick your whole life and you are 32 you must of developed some skills or interests. Often times we use the "label" of CF as an excuse and to our detriment.
Yeah CF does suck and it is hard and we all have to struggle with the same constraints. The only difference is what you decide to do with those choices.
I would not focus on what job you can do as opposed to what small business or service can you do.
Can you walk dogs, clean homes, house sit etc. Can you use a computer? Online work is something that can be done from home. Can you build websites, do online marketing etc.
Look at what small businesses you can start with minimal outlay. Look at the bookstore or amazon for those types of books. Look at www.entreprenuer.com or the SBA has programs for disabled small business owners. Look at "Discover your Strengths" or 4 HOur work week for ideas and inspiration.
Can you do charity work and maybe combine some of the above skills.
You are asking the right questions you just need to think out side of the box some. If you can not do that then that is the first thing you need to do.
Have hope new meds are coming down the road and will help us stay healthy.
Note: I am going to be 44 and have always found work by creating a business or working hard. Currently I run my own online business and work as a property manager. I have worked in the past as a sales person, real estate broker, owned a juice bar, owned a property management company and a variety of other jobs. I wish there was an easy answer but keep looking.

J

Jason1981

Oh, I have no plans to do anything around food. Last thing people need is someone coughing around their meals. lol And no way I'd be able to teach, either. Just watching my neice when I visit my sis is tough enough..and like one poster pointed out, it'd be too easy to get sick from kids (especially during winter, when there's fun things such as the flu, and runny noses, etc. )

Phone stuff from home isn't a good idea, since --as I think I mentioned-- I live with my dad. He uses the phone/fax for his work (picc line stuff) and this house isn't exactly soundproof. lol

And to rmotion, the status of my current health isn't too bad, since I like to keep active (used to study martial arts, but now I bicycle for workouts). I didn't have much hobbies in the past, since I lived mostly in rural parts of Louisiana and Mississippi, till I finally moved to California (I think I moved in 2006 or 2007, maybe).

About the only things I really did till then was study martial arts, played video games, surfed the web on crappy dial-up..and fishing, sometimes. Not much to do in the towns I lived in.

Not sure how good I'd be at building websites or doing javascript. If it requires algebra, well, then I'm out of luck (I stink at algebra. lol).

Yes, I can use a computer, but for right now, about the only thing I can program is the DVR for the tv. lol

MAYBE dog walking would be good. It seems like many people have dogs around here in Fairfield (and there's other places in the SF Bay area I can get to by train), and most of the dogs I've encountered are very well behaved. And I love dogs, so that's a plus. Though while looking on craigslist, it seems that people who want dog walkers would prefer the walker to have a dog-friendly vehicle. Even if I could get one, there's no place where I live to park it.

J

Joe2007

The first thing a job seeker needs is a positive, ambitious, and goal oriented mentality.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Okay Jason. Let's try that again, shall we? Caution Note: I am not a psychiatrist or a counselor. I dont know if there are any on this forum. But, it really does sound like you're depressed. Stuck in the I'm no good at anything and nothing will work mode. As Joe said, the first thing you need is a positive attitude! Depression is not an unusual place for anyone with a chronic medical disability. So I would really suggest you start there. Does your CF Team include a psychologist or at least a social worker? Most do, so check on that and make an appointment, ask for a referral or some help for your depression. If not, ask your primary or pulmonologist for a referral. Or ask your Dad for help finding one. .. Or anyone else you trust . . . Friend, minister, . . . Absolutely reach out. It WILL get better. I already see huge potential in some of the things you've said about yourself. Reach out so you dont keep yourself stuck in this mode. It's no fun there, and you deserve to feel good and have fun. And you will.
As for a starting place for employment, here's what I see in you so far. . . The same stuff you've said, but just viewed from a positive place.

1. Martial Arts. Apparently you like it and have been involved in it a long time. Ask your various local martial arts if they need any assistance. (even check the YMCA and other organizations as well as the private instruction places). Even cleaning out the trash cans, if not helping in a class. You can always work yourself up the ladder. If they don't, then take a class there. . . As you hone your skills, and they get to see you working at it, you can move up to a position that helps teach and then maybe even teach a class independently. And remember, get involved in everything they do and volunteer to help at everything they do and go to everything they offer - they will see your enthusiasm and you will become valuable to them. You might start out helping with the kid classes. I know you said you don't like taking care of children. I don't know how old your niece is, but even teachers tend to prefer one age group over another. Different ages require different levels of supervision and different kinds of supervision. You might like the itty bitty ninjas or perhaps the teenagers. Or the adults. Maybe you want to learn another form of martial arts too and make yourself more valuable. You like martial arts. Work it! You will love your life and be excited about every day.

2. Video Games - if you are one of those who have video games on the brain, then work it too! I saw some advice here to learn programming. Video games need programmers and tech people. Check out your local tech school and see what you need to learn to work in the field. To make your own games. To be a support person for gaming sites. Etc. The field is endless. I don't know much about it, but you do. Do not assume you have to know this stuff already. It doesn't take long at a good technical school to learn this stuff. Even if it's a year, or two, let's face it - a year or two is going to pass anyway, so the question is whether you will be farther along to doing something you love or not. If you take ONE STEP in that direction, you will be closer ...... Pick up the phone. And by the way...you can always have a second line installed in your house if you need it, for a nominal monthly amount.

3. Dog Walking - you said yourself not all the dog walking positions require a car, though many do. Call the ones that don't. Save what you make and get a car. Or go one better. . . Call your social worker and see if your local or state service has a car buying assistance stipend. Ask for suggestions on how you can get a car for employment.

Theres lots of options. They don't all pan out instantly, but if you work it, you will find one. I really think a counselor will help you think through your options in a more positive light toward a solution. Really. Let us know how you work this.

J

Jason1981

Well, there is ONE good thing so far: Because my mom (who lives in another state) is now getting social security (she's semi-retired. works only one day a week now, but soon she'll be completely retired), somehow, I'm able to get benefits, as well.

I'll be off SSI..but I guess that means I'll be on SSDI (actually I think I'm on it already..some money was just deposited today in my account, and it's not what I was getting from SSI)? Either way, at least now there's no limit to how much money I can save up in my bank account. That's one thing that really stinks about SSI.

I'll probably be joining a gym again (tried "In-Shape", till I realized how expensive it was from month to month. Maybe re-join the 24hour fitness). I wouldn't mind eventually being one of the instructors for the workout programs they have there. (For example, Les Mills Combat...kinda like a Tae-Bo with the intensity of Insanity..but without as much jumping around, so it's easier on the joints)

As for getting a car, I plan on trying again for my driver's liceanse. Tried it when I was a teen, but I was pushed to take the test before I felt I was ready. The written part was easy..the driving part , not so much.

But like I said, I'll be trying again, so I at least have a driver's license. Might even try for a motorcycle one. At least there might be room where I live to park a scooter/motorcycle .(Not sure how those would do on windy days, though, especially since unless I got something like one of those -wheeled kinds, it'd have to be pretty small for a short guy like me to be able to use it safely. ) Kind of difficult to park a car , when half the garage is used for storage, the other half is used for my step-mom's SUV, the driveway is used for my dad's truck (the half where all the stored stuff is in the garage), and the area near the driveway were I could park a car is used for my dad's work vehicle.

I'll definitely be talking to my social worker on Monday (if she's in, hopefully), when I go for my CF checkup.

Maybe submitting an article once in awhile to cracked.com. It's not a magazine anymore, is it? I remember liking "Cracked" and "Mad" magazines. Who knows, maybe I can think up some amusing stuff to write for one of them once in awhile (and I remember the cracked.com website saying they don't care how often or how little you write something for them). It wouldn't pay much, but at least it'd be something for once in awhile.

Anyway, like I said, I'll be hopefully talking to my social worker on Monday (I might need to, anyway, because it's getting even more annoying trying to get insurance to approve my enzymes. Looks like I'll be stuck eating just soup for the weekend since I'm out)

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Jason......now you're on a roll! There ya go....you've got a plan and ideas and a positive attitude. I like it. Let us know how it goes.....

J

Jason1981

Too bad I don't have my own vehicle..one thing I'm interested in is voice-over stuff (voice-acting seems like it could be pretty fun). But the closest place is in San Francisco, and some of the classes end after the trains wouldn't be running, I think. (well, the Amtrak from Richmond, CA back to Suisun, anyway). Ah well, maybe one day.