Enzyme intake -- how many do you take with meals?

musclemania70

There are supposed to be limits with the amount of enzymes you take with meals. However, i found that the only amount that works for me without stomachaches is 8 Creon 24k with meals.

How many Creon do you take with meals? Your age?

i think as we age, we need more enzymes but there is no true guidance from the docs on this. They tell you not to take more than 5 with a meal but 5 is not nearly enough for me and i am at the strongest dosage.

Thanks for reading!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When ds was a baby we were given a general idea as to how many enzymes to give him, but adjust accordingly based on output. Unlike some of my friends we were never given a maximum allowable so if ds eats pizza or theater popcorn, I'll give him a couple extra enzymes. He gets 8 Creon 12k with meals and 4-5 with snacks on a regular basis if he has something that I know has a lot of extra fat, I'll bump up the amount. I figure not all pancreases function equally. So now days the prescription is written based on what he usually eats rather than a generic number.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Our CF center refuses to dose based on intake and will only give maximum per weight. DS was getting tons of stomach aches and floating stools, so I added a meal and made them smaller so that he could have the maximum dose per the doctors but was getting enough based on fat intake. I believe the maximum dose is within an hour so if you can eat more often with smaller fat intake. I seemed to recall the maximum dosing could handle like 24 grams of fat and he was having nearly 40 grams for some meals.

T

tattertott

I just recently got converted from Pancrease MT 10's to Creon enzymes just last year. I had been taking the MT 10's since I was born till I was 21. With those, I had to take 10 for meals and 6 for snacks. Now that I'm on Creon, I take 4 for meals and 2-3 for snacks. I do think they need to get increased with age because my enzyme intake has had to have been adjusted about 13 times throughout my life.

erock77

It's definitely been increased through my life, mostly my teen growing years.
I take 12-14 Zenpep 20's w/ meals and less with snacks, depending on the snack. I used to take 16 Creon-20's, but Zenpep helped me get down. I haven't heard of anyone who takes more, so I'm interested if my record still holds. That being said, the docs have been pretty concerned since I take over double the max recommended dose. But haven't had issues yet, which seems lucky. So I wouldn't recommend it. It's also annoying that I have to open a new bottle every 2 days or so.

J

Jason1981

I try taking as little as possible for each meal. Otherwise , it umm....goes out the other end pretty quickly. LOL Seriously, though, I take maybe 1 to 3 Zenpep (the 20,000 units) with meals. Sometimes I take 4 or 5 , if I'm eating a big meal, or something that I know would be more difficult to digest.

For example, if I eat an egg or two, I can get by with one pill(sometimes not even one pill, if I'm drinking something like warm tea. ). Something like a big grilled hamburger on the other hand, I'll take four or five pills.

I might actually be doing it wrong, but I don't want to run out of capsules TOO quickly. Getting a new prescription approved is a pain, when it comes to insurance. (I have Partnership Healthplan of California. I think that's also Medi-Cal, which is California's version of Medicaid, I think)

W

windex125

I take 1 in the morning as I only east yogurt-pc of fruit then larger meal 2. I am taking Creon 6000 I was PS my whole life had my first attack in May 2 wks in hosp. now this added and they took away my wine. OMG I am really so upset I am 59 what few pleasures do I have left??? Pat