coughing help

BreeAlysia

Warning this might be gross for some people... my coughing the past few days had been getting pretty bad. It's now to the point where I cough so hard I'm throwing up. I just tried to use my nebulizer and had to stop because I kept coughing and then throwing up a little. It also happens when i brush my teeth and sometimes just randomly. It's been happening to me forever on and off, but since I'm already way under weight, I can't really afford to lose anything I eat. Any advice?

nmw0615

Do you know if you culture MRSA? When MRSA is flaring up for me, I have a cough like the one you describe.

BreeAlysia

Do you know if you culture MRSA? When MRSA is flaring up for me, I have a cough like the one you describe.

Not that I know of. In June I was hospitalized for psuedenomonas. That's the only thing I've been culturing lately. But my last check war in June.

I'd put a call into your CF team, see if they can get you in for a new sputum culture. If nothing else, they can suggest changing up some of the meds you use for nebulizers. Also increase your chest clearance therapies, more vests treatments, add in some walking/jogging if you can, or hot steamy showers to maybe cough up and out what's irritating your lungs. Changing things up can sometimes break the cycle of nonstop coughing. Good luck!

MichaelL

I was having that problem last fall when I was sicker. The thing giving me the biggest problem was hypertonic saline. They changed me from 5% to 3% and I was able to tolerate it. The other thing I would do is stop the nebulizer whenever my coughing got too violent. I would then turn it back on when I settled down. Definitely an awful problem to have.

I would talk to your doctor and see if your nebuilized medication can be changed or adjusted.

RockyLass

Not gross at all! Do you have reflux? I have that and if I cough very hard I end up throwing up at random times. Also, if reflux is the issue that can cause coughing fits itself. I take meds for it and it stops it ( throwing up)

W

windex125

I have had that as well, but most times esp. in morning I have dry hacking for a good 2hrs. it is so horrible. My doctor did give me a cough suppressant which I use only occasionally. But most times I take some Robtussin DM that will quite things for awhile. I really have more of a issue when I use my 02 at night that really loosens things up. I also have reflux which doesn't help. I know this sounds crazy but try to sit and take short breaths of air to calm yrself if you can before you go into the full blown vomiting, I know it's hard believe me, but it has worked for me at times. .Pat-59