MRSA questions

Makmomma2

So, I had my daughter's Doctor do a throat swab on her (they ended up doing a nasopharyngeal swab- which I think poses a risk that whatever shows up could have come from either the nose or the throat and the only way to be certain of origin would be to repeat the swab?) Anyways we got a call 2 days ago that she tested positive for MRSA and will now have to follow up with infectious disease. When I checked with the lab, they read the report to me and said "a scant amount MRSA present." When I questioned if scant could just mean she is colonized and a carrier versus actively infected the head of the lab said "she is positive and needs to see infectious disease."

She has had a consistently runny nose for about 3 months now, maybe longer. I know people always ask if she is teething (she has had all her teeth for some time now). At times the nasal drainage is clear and anywhere from thick to thin and occasionally thick yellow/ green, at times even coming out of her eyes.

As for genetic testing, her family doctor ordered the test for 98 mutations. However my insurance company claims they never received the request for pre authorization and admitted they are extremely behind with authorizations. I have already waited a week and now will have to wait at least another week until we can even get her blood drawn for it.--- Frustrating!!

Has anyone else ever tested positive for "scant growth?" and then was referred to infectious disease for treatment? I'm not sure if they are concerned that she may be immune compromised, or just don't know if she requires treatment with antibiotics.

On another gross note: she is on adult dosage Miralax, her GI doctor wants her stools to be applesauce consistency and they are, sometimes thicker. However the other day I fed her red beets for lunch and just 6 hours later they were present in her diaper. Is she just not absorbing properly because her body cant or is it too much medication? Her stools have been ranging from bright green to pale clayish color and nasty smelling with occasional mucus present.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
A few thoughts. My understanding is that the culture results show that the bacteria is present and the "scant" versus "numerous" is just how much, but that she is infected. I think its great they want to try to get rid of it now when it might be easier to do than later.

Re the Miralax. My understanding is that you are telling the food, it means that she isn't absorbing them, not that she has too much Miralax. Is she on enzymes? If not, that would seem to be the approach to treating moving too fast. Also, fyi: for us with the clayish color that was indicating a back up and you don't want that, so I'd be cautious re cutting back on Miralax. And as scary as it is re the "adult dosing" that is normal for many with CF.

Makmomma2

Thank you so much for your response. I agree, I am certainly glad they are referring her to ID. I just had confusion I guess with the "scant"-- maybe a bit hopeful too :). I am so glad to hear your response on the miralax. I worry about cutting back because then she gets EXTREMELY backed up and is in terrible pain. I am glad to have such good advice from people who know the ropes!!

A few thoughts. My understanding is that the culture results show that the bacteria is present and the "scant" versus "numerous" is just how much, but that she is infected. I think its great they want to try to get rid of it now when it might be easier to do than later.

Re the Miralax. My understanding is that you are telling the food, it means that she isn't absorbing them, not that she has too much Miralax. Is she on enzymes? If not, that would seem to be the approach to treating moving too fast. Also, fyi: for us with the clayish color that was indicating a back up and you don't want that, so I'd be cautious re cutting back on Miralax. And as scary as it is re the "adult dosing" that is normal for many with CF.