Do you play an instrument?

LKBamberg

I've played banjo for a while. But I recently started playing trombone.

I have to say, the trombone REALLY helps with the lungs! String instruments are a lot of fun, but wind instruments will open your lungs, keep them clear, and give you a great incentive to do breathing exercises. I would say it's worth the investment, just go out and buy something and learn to play it!

What do you play? What do you want to?

Twistofchaos

Does a copper windinstrument offer constant resistance on the exhale? Kinda like a PEP mask then. :)
Do you play bluegrass on the banjo? Maybe on the trombone too? Must be great fun.

My main instrument is the piano. Classical pianolessons most of my childhood which I enjoyed a lot. Was also a thing where my parents probably felt they had to put me on something if not sports because of CF. As an introverted nerdy kid piano was right up my alley anyway. (..along with chess.)
In very difficult segments I tend to hold my breath so I need to consciously remind myself to keep breathing while playing.

During my teens I secretly turned into a metalhead though and living on my own in recent years I have a small home studio in the corner of my livingroom. (ie. electronic instruments and a laptop..) Where I make doom metal. Very slow, very long, heavy introverted music. Much like classical music but with guitars, drums etc. Instruments where I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

RockyLass

Hi! I really love music, and have play some instruments all my life. A little Piano, recorder, fiddle and recently got back to playing and really trying to learn, instead of just by ear. At my college, I want to take a music course credit soon. But my most recent has been playing the Irish tin whistle, also known as the Penny-whistle! Boy, does that clear your lungs out good! Especially playing Airs and long tunes, really help. I definitely recommend something of a wind instrument to a CFer. Sometimes it more challenging when I am sick or more congested I end up not playing, losing power, then need to start again. I find it helps sitting in comfortable chair, back straight and chest relaxed as well as diaphragm, and do slow deep breaths. Also, be sure to keep your instrument very clean with alcohol or soap and water depending on your instrument. You don't want to cough out bugs then inhale them back in the next time!

leecee

My daughter who has CF plays clarinet. Although recently a man at the music store told me he would never play a reed instrument because of all the germs that live in the reed. Made me wonder if the time when she had pseudonomas, if they lived in the reed. Or that could have been my over-reacting brain.

LKBamberg

I play bluegrass, do a lot of strumming with modern songs, and am I'm currently learning clawhammer on the banjo.

I think my main focus on the trombone will be classical and jazz.

And to leecee, I wouldn't worry about the reed. If she likes the clarinet, she should play it. If you're worried, just make sure to sterilize it every day, and get new ones more frequently. THere are more than one kinds of health, and there are bugs everywhere, you can't avoid them. So no use in trying to live in a bubble.

JakeS

Hi, i am Jake S. I play guitar, piano, harmonica, digeradoo, and sing. I agree music is great therapy. I played trumpet when young, and have thought of taking it up again. I find singing really helpful as well. Anyone can sing regardlrss of musival training.

A

Alan245

I love to play piano. I have two pianos for this one is fully electric which really help me to compose online pokies and so many tunes for this purpose.