Health Insurance -- adding spouse or kids

W

welshwitch

Wow! How did it take me until age 34 to figure out how much it would cost to add a spouse to my health insurance? I have great coverage through my work and only have to pay about $70 per month out of my paycheck. But if I were to add my boyfriend (domestic partner) it would balloon to over $500! If we were to have kids, it would be over $1,000 per month! Holy cow! How do people do this??? And is this typical, or does my work just have really crappy insurance for spouses and families?

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
It does sound about right. My husband has crappy insurance through work, but his coverage is paid 100%. Adding a spouse is about $450, and family coverage is about $900.

C

cfgf28

Pretty normal...though my employer has great insurance. ..for family mine is $102 biweekly..and the better coverage w a lower deductible is $153 biweekly...I think single coverage is around 35 biweekly...my fiance s employer based insurance is $60 a week for single coverage. ..once we are married he will drop his and go on mine, and it will stay the same as I already have family coverage for my kids...