People sharing germs

bloggymom

We are entering cold and flu season and I am freaked. We have new "friends" and they are NOT interested in knowing anything about Cystic Fibrosis. Both my husband and I have tried to give them some basic information. (They are mostly my husband's friends). They attend the same church that we do and their kids socialized with our kid. Our friends kids got a cold and they share it with my family.... including me. I am not super sick but not feeling like my normal self....

These people have no intention of staying home from church or social events when their family is obviously sick or even have a cold. I use hand sanitzier and wash my hand faithfully. They cough and don't cover their mouths, the kids share Ipads and fist bump.

I don't want to miss church... I love church. I have a mask but I don't really want to wear a mask for multiple hours with no break (I can stand it for short trips to the store). Is there anything beyond continuing to use hand sanitizer, wash my hands with soap and water, and insist on a 3 feet rule?? I have to protect myself....somehow!! I have spent the last 3-4 cold and flu seasons at home missing out on life. I was hoping not to do that this year. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Before you reply with "Educate them on CF".... we have tried and they are not interested.

nmw0615

First, it's my belief that if people don't want to understand the basics of the disease I have, they will never be counted as a friend. They barely make "acquaintance."

As for missing church...is there another service you could attend? When I was younger, my family attended on Sunday mornings. After some bad eggs ruined that time, we moved to the Saturday evening service. It worked well for my family.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Augh. I'm sorry you're stuck in that spot. You don't want to ruin your husband and son new friends, but need to take care of yourself. I guess another service would be my recommendation, but it sounds like that service is the one where your husband and son socialize with them. If you don't do another service, or just stay home, then the only other thing I'd say is to make sure that you, your husband and son get the flu vaccine now (and get the 4 strain one!). Good luck.

Imogene

Administrator
I am sure that lots of churches have "live streaming". But my church has a wonderful service that is broadcast on line every Sunday.
It is the church of Norman Vincent Peale..."The Power of Positive Thinking"!
I know my faith journey has been enlightened by:

Marble Collegiate Church 29 5th Avenue NYC

www.marblechurch.org

Sr. Carol Perry (Roman Catholic nun) gives the bible study every week. She will be preaching this week.
They have a trialogue and least once a year....Rabbi, Imam, and Ministrer.

I know that many house churches are forming all over the world from this one church.

Never mind that my husband Peter is a deacon there!

Salt and Light,
Jeanne

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have cf, but our son does and I work with a number of people who show up to work sick during cold and flu season -- not just colds but fevers, horrible coughs, strep, stomach bugs. I use hand sanitizer constantly, avoid the community food in the break room, wipe down surfaces, avoid touching my face... Could you show up to church later than usual and "have to sit elsewhere" Or sit on the end of the aisle with the excuse you may have to sneak out for a cough or restroom break.

At the church my son goes to with his grandparents during cold and flu season they'll skip the pass the peace portion of the service and either elbow bump. Maybe speak with your pastor and ask them to make an announcement to parishioners if they're ill to stay home or to keep their distance as there are "several church members with health issues"....

bloggymom

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I think I will start using hand sanitizer more often and insist that my son sit with the family instead of with his friend during church (he was the first person to get sick). No more carpooling to bible study.... they can take their own kids.

RockyLass

This is very selfish they ignore you and your CF, Don't bother to take at least some consideration for your CF or for OTHERS without CF in spreading germs! All you can do is show kindness while at the same time perhaps not being near them for a while. God loves you and doesn't want you getting sick or risking yourself for a church service, he is happy with you.

If you know these people more and when they are better, maybe share some Bible verses about selfishness and giving kindness to our neighbor and fellow brother or sister in Christ. They need to study the Word more and get in touch.

Here is some good verses:

Romans 15:2
Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
Romans 15:5 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,
Galatians 6:2 Bear one another burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Romans 15:5 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,
Romans 15:1 We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.

My favorites:

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

1 Corinthians 10:24
Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

Also, I agree, don't "education them about CF", talk to them about God in showing kindness and fleeing from selfishness. Man wants to look out for his OWN interests, not others nor God, even if them claim to love God, its something people always struggle with.

bloggymom

My situation just got serious. The same people who refuse to stay home when they are sick.... we found out that they have pneumonia. My husband is now super sick (coughing). My son just got sick this morning (body aches and chills). I am freaking out to say the least. I CANNOT get pneumonia.

These people were in my house over the weekend... and now we find out they have pneumonia. They did not have the decency to let me know when they found out earlier this week. I have horrible lung function, a hole in my lung from MAC that is still healing and now I find I was exposed to pneumonia. I feel like I am doomed.

Melissa75

Administrator
Try not to worry to much. Most people who develop pneumonia from a viral URI/bronchitis have a secondary bacterial infection that is not complicated to treat. The antibiotics you probably take daily would cover the strep pneumo or mycoplasma bacteria.

I do feel for you, being sick and exposed to sick people. I think if i were you, i would try as hard as possible to develop strong communication with this family. If i recall correctly, your son is homeschooled, so these peer relationships must be pretty important to him.

rtorres25

I'm so sorry you are sick. I know just what you mean about church. We attend a very large church and the pastor likes to have a "turn around and meet someone you've never met before" time during the service. I've taken to telling people I'm "Immune compromised" when they try to shake my hand. It's easier than trying to explain CF in a brief meeting. I tried just avoiding the hand-shake, but some people don't get the hint and I have to say something. I'm blessed that my husband watches out for me like a hawk. He's quite a germ-o-phobe on my behalf. I would think your husband would speak up for you, too. It affects the whole family when mama gets sick :(

C

cfgf28

Maybe call your clinic and see if they can start you on antibiotic now... and I thought there was a vaccine for pneumonia? I belive they had asked my fiance if he'd had it yet, when he was going inpatient the last time...but he didn't think he'd had one and no one ever mentioned it again during his hospital stay. Not that this helps keep you from being exposed to sick people...

W

windex125

RockyLass I was diadnosed with osteopenia last year right hip and spine lost more bone mass this yr. showed on bone density test are you taking anything for it? I been using the Caltrae chewable calcium with D when I remember .... sad to say?? Pat-CF/59