Feeding Tube Question???

markinohio

About five weeks ago, I got a feeding tube to help gain weight at night. I use Nutren 2.0. It was fine for the few weeks, then I began to experience pain and discomfort in my upper abdomen near my diaphragm. I had an x-ray done and the doctors told me my bowels were full of "poop". I did a bowel cleansing and it helped ease the pain. A few days later, the discomfort returned, just not as bad. When I breathe in deep or cough real hard it feels like something is pressing on something and the pain increases. My doctors believe it's because my bowels are full and now I'm taking Miralax to help that problem.
Has anyone else had pain and discomfort from the feeding tube and know what caused it? I like using the feeding tube because I have put on about five pounds in a month. I just don't like the way my stomach feels.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

T

ToriMom

Have you tried switching the formula? My daughter was on a formula called Deliver for a few years. When they no longer made this brand, she was switched to Nutren 2.0. She had a hard time tolerating this brand. We switched over to Two Cal HN. She has been using this brand for about 8 years with no problems at all. Just a thought...?
Talk with your gastroenterologist to see if this is an option.
Keep us posted!
Michelle

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Also is there fiber in it? Our son uses boost plus essentials and I swear when he had the one with added fiber he immediately got backed up.

jbrandyn

Keep in mind that they could be unrelated, a lot of us get obstruction, obstopation, or intersusseption (small intestine slipping into the large intestine) as a normal result of CF. So it could very well be the case that you just have to see a GI doc and get a regimen to keep your bowels moving.
I have this pain all the time and I just have to keep doing what my GI doc says to keep my bowels moving.

MikeInMT

When I had my feeding tube in, I was on Jevity 2.0 and never had ussues with it. Like others have said if your formuka has a lot of fiber that coukd be doing it.
Something else to think about.. if you run tube feed over night, how often and how many enzymes do you take?