College and Health Insurance

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
My 17 year old CFer is narrowing down colleges she plans on applying to. Unfortunately, the only coverage option at my Husband's employer is HMO so any out of area providers would not be included on this insurance.

For any of you CFer's that went to college out of state, what did you do for health insurance? Was the college health insurance adequate? Right now she is limiting her choices to schools that would be drivable within a day, incase she needs to come home for an appointment. Basically, all her care would have to be done on breaks and only have emergency healthcare at school.

As a little back ground, my daughter has been fairly healthy. FEV1 is 100% and she has only been hospitalized twice (both times in 2012). We were thinking we could have her doctor give her a prescription of her normal oral meds when she gets sick to keep with her at school. That way if something starts up she can be on the orals for awhile and hopefully make it to a school break before she see the CF doctor.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

W

welshwitch

From what I recall, in college I was "double-covered" as my mom put it. I was on my college's health plan for "normal" stuff (OB-GYN, emergencies, etc.) but still on my parents' plan for "CF stuff". (Kaiser). I went to college out of state, too. So what I remember is I only went to the doctor when I was home from college (winter break and summer, etc.) and my parents mailed my meds to me. I feel like there were enough breaks and time off that I was able to fit in doctor appointments and make sure I got all my meds. Like your daughter, I had (and still have!) 100% lung function. I'm glad I didn't let my CF stop me from going to a great school far away.

peter

Not To be potentially irritating but have you explored Healthcare.gov to see options of where schools are. You may find some presumptions are in error about your daughter's possibilities. Possibly some of the universities have resources for students with chronic conditions. Maybe through their ADA procedures. Some Congressional reps ( not many perhaps) have educational services and may include facilitating your coverage.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Thank you both for your input. Probably will need double coverage if she goes out of state and will check out healthcare.gov.