Dirt

rosesixtyfive

Sam's preschool usually does a unit on plants where they bring soil in and grow plants in the classroom. At the beginning of the year I asked them not to do this activity because we don't mess around with soil. They respected my wishes but now they are asking to create a dirt-digging area on their playground with bulldozers and shovels. They asked if it would bother me if other children did it, but Sam did not participate. Yes, it bothers me. They're choosing an activity that they will then exclude him from. This from the school that has gone bonkers over peanut allergies. Would they let the kids dig in a pit of peanut shells as long as they washed their hands? What is the bacteria that lives in dirt? I told them I don't want Sam squeaky clean, I want him to play and get dirty, we just don't make mud pies or purposefully dig into the soil. What are your thoughts?
Thanks, rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, 5 years old, ddf508

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
with you on the no playing in dirt, but I'm on the cautious end of the scale. The recent CFF guidelines say something on dirt. But I guess I take a different approach on DS (whose also 5) from being excluded from other activities. I try to be nonchalant on things dear son doesn't do because of cystic fibrosis. So if we're at his grandparents and his cousins want to go play in the rain and puddles he doesn't mind and knows that because he has cystic fibrosis there are things he does that others don't and things he can't do that others do. And when aunts/uncles have tried in the past to tell their kids/his cousin not to do something we're not comfortable with DS doing, I've always said, no don't limit what your kids can do to try to make things "equal." At some point DS would eventually realize that things aren't "fair" and I'd rather him just think of it all as part of life...so I stress mommy has to do X, because her Y doesn't work right and that everyone has something that doesn't work right and it won't be until Heaven that we're perfect. Also, I'd hate for someone to "blame" DS for limits, which might eventually happen. But if there is a concern about the dirt and it coming into the room from the outside project, I guess I'd check with his CF doctor to see what the proper approach is for dirt. Another idea is to use the Love & Logic approach with Sam and ask him to brainstorm ideas of how he could be involved in this project even if he isn't out in the dirt digging. For instance, could he be a reporter who interviews his classmates with a video camera (provided by the school) on the project? Could he be a "teacher's assistant" and give out required assignments for the students, such as "Katie, today you must measure each radish stalk" and report the results to me. Something that engages him and allows him to participate.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' 3rd grade class dissected owl pellets. What the owls barf up in pellet form after getting as much nutrition out of whatever they've eaten -- usually small rodents -- so fur, bones.... Ugh! Didn't know until after the fact or I'd have stressed about it. Supposedly owl pellets are sterilized when packaged for school, but.. Ewww!

piggylu

Hi, i completely understand your concerns!! For people with CF, there are some bugs that we can get from soil. Mycobacterium Avium Complex, NTM, b.Cepacia, Mycobacterium Abscessus. I will research to see what others may pose a threat for CF patients.

MOM247

We try our best to keep our backyard perfect for our children to play in. Yet, still they find places to dig up "dinosaur fossils" & every kind of creepy crawler.

Last year my son & his Kindergarten friends really got into digging at recess. Fossil hunters!! This year his PE teacher had my son help install one of those hand-motion digging toys. I allowed him to participate, because I'm learning to pick my battles with him. I also know there's no stopping it. I can only control so much. I'll continue to pack the Purrel & Pray:) Hugs!!!