Baby bottle steam sterilizers for nebulizers...here's some efficacy data

J

jdfoosh357

My daughter is 1.5 years old. We boil her 4 pari nebs every night with distilled water. It's kind of a pain, but whatever. Anyway, I've read rave reviews about the convenience of steam sterilizers, but I shied away bc I wasn't sure of their effectiveness. It hard to argue with this recent study which was published in a peer reviewed CF journal. They inoculated nebulizers with Psuedomonas, Burk cep, Staph aureus, Stenotroph, and H. influenza. They tested multiple popular baby bottle sterilizers, and all of them eradicated the bacteria from the nebs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23267773

I'm going to try a steam sterilizer...it seems pretty convenient.

Thoughts? Hope this helps.

shay

We have been using the NUK baby bottle sterilizer for a couple of years now ever since CF Services Pharmacy sent it to us with a Cayston delivery. We absolutely love it! It is very convenient and portable.

shay

Just a tip, we use distilled water in our sterilizer to avoid mineral deposits from our tap water.

J

jdfoosh357

I ended up buying the Avent bottle sterilizer. Have been using it for a week and find it more convenient than boiling. I really like that I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the burner and melting the nebs. Also we have to use distilled water to avoid a white, powdery build up on the nebs...hard water I assume. I was buying 8-10 gallons of distilled water on every grocery trip. The Avent only uses 3 oz of distilled water so our usage is wayyy down. Like it a lot.

aannddd

I have been using a bottle sterilizer for my son's nebs for 7 years. I use tap water, so it kicks the bucket every 18-24 months due to mineral deposits. At $40-50 for the sterilizer, I would rather pay that then deal with bottled water. My FSA provider lets me get reimbursed for the cost of the sterilizer, because it is for medical purposes.

S

stephen

MEDELA - Quick Clean Micro Steam Bags are:

• Inexpensive - About $1 each and can be used in excess of 20 times each.
  • Holds 4 nebulizers easily.
  • Easy to use - Add a few ounces of water and place in a microwave oven. You can set the time for whatever you’re comfortable with. I set it for 10 minutes.
  • Easy to store - The bags fold. Great for travel too.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We've been using the Wabi baby bottle sterilizer and we love it. It steams then dries the nebs. There is some controversy because it does use negative ions during the dry cycle and some say this can be harmful for people with lung conditions. But, it runs a short time and is not in enclosed area so I feel the benefit of drying the nebs outweighs the risk.