momma's trying not to give up...

ashamalie

This may not be the correct place for this...but I didn't see another forum that would fit, with my very tired eyes.
I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed at 2 weeks old. Recently, he cultured PA for the third time in his life. I'm not sure what changed but this has sparked absolute refusal to take the medication prescribed to him. Enzymes, antacids, vitamins, antibiotics, treatments, etc. It's an all out war to get him to even reluctantly take them. He did finally admit that he's mad he has CF, but we still have to have guns blazing to get treatments done.
What methods have you tried and found successful in getting past this?

I have spent most of the evening crying, searching, pleading...he is the only person in our town who has CF. He feels alone, and I understand. Are there any programs anyone knows of that connect the CFers who are younger, via penpal or other modes?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dear mom, I am so sorry. If you haven't read yet, I'd immediately get and read love and logic parenting children with chronic health conditions by Lisa Greene mom to two CFer. It will give you strength and insight. Big hugs and prayers.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Also, he is old enough to start understanding science..so along the lines of the approach the book you might consider asking him if there would be a time to talk today..start and say that you've been frustrated lately and are sorry you haven't given him a chance to talk...and the play off the discussion you've already had...that he must sometimes really hate cf...that it must be so hard having to do all those treatments. The maybe ask him what he thinks would happen if he didn't? Do you think the doctors might say he needs to stay I the hospital? Not as a threat but asking genuinely if he thinks that could happen....ask if he would like to k ow what the scientists are doing to find a cure for cf? If he says yes, ask if he knows that they just had a bunch of doctors meet and talk about how they can cut out the cf gene ...it might not be until he is older...maybe ready for college, but that other medicines which will help fix his cf are starting to be tested next year. Does he think it would be a good idea to keep his lungs healthy as possible until they are ready. The book has great suggestions that show you how to do this kind of approach, but to me the key is forcing him to think not forcing him to do great,nets...he must do them and the books has ways of giving choices to get him there. Hang I there.

ashamalie

I am going to get the book. Getting him to do the treatments without a fight, and taking the antibiotics like he should are just something he has to do. I don't like forcing him because it always ends with him more angry than we started. But, it's his life. This isn't going to change for him any time soon. I also know this battle is only beginning, as he is only 7.
I think for him it might help to see that other people have gone through exactly what he is now, and survived it well. Being the only one with CF, and having to take the meds...only make him more special in my eyes. I do understand though, how he feels singled out and alone. But momma is fighting this battle too, and feeling his emotions full force.

nmw0615

You touch on something important ashamalie. Your son's treatment/meds/life make him more special in your eyes, in a good way. He probably sees himself as special, too, but in a bad way. It's really difficult to know you're different when all you want to do is fit in.

When I was about his age, I was allowed one day when I did not have to do any of my vest treatments if I didn't want to. I could pick the day and no one could argue. On the days I did my vest, for the duration of the treatment, I got to chose what tv show I wanted to watch. When I got older, my parents bought me special books to read during my vest time (I had to save up for all other books).

As for pills, my entire family (extended even) worked together to make me feel like my ability to swallow 13 pills at a time was the coolest thing ever. They'd make bets against me, knowing gets lose, just so I could be proud about something I had to do.

I would also tell his doctor about his refusal at his next clinic appointment, and then let the doctor talk with him, without any further input or assistance from you unless directly asked, about why everything is important and he should do it. Sometimes it's a case of not wanting to do what the parent says because your the parent. Maybe his doctor telling him will help.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
hugs to you too mommy...yes, we have the same emotional feelings but just can't rebel in the same way! When we spend Christmas morning doing treatments instead of playing under the tree all morning long...it SUCKS! But it is still the happiest morning ever! I wish our son were older and could Skype, but he's only 5 and has speech delays so that wouldn't help. :-( hang in there!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hi Ash. I suspect most every parent has been where you are. And I second the recommendation for Parenting Children With Health Issues. It's outstanding. A bible for any parent. And the techniques are universal - they apply to children without major health issues too. The techniques are part of Love and Logic which has a great website and numerous materials too. I really believe you will find it not only helpful, but downright liberating.

My 9 year old was diagnosed at birth but didn't want to know much about CF until lately. He's just really starting more incisive questions. But he has always asked why he takes enzymes and no one else in his school does. And why others don't do chest therapy and nebulizers. So we've had varying explanations at various stages of his life to these repeat questions, depending on his attention span! My central theme, though has always been to help him think about what challenges we all have. My mantra is Everybody is Different. My personal philosophy and life experiences tell me that if you pull 100 people off the street and start asking questions, you will find 100 stories of lives that have experienced medical, psychological, physical, legal, emotional tribulations you would never want to personally experience. I do not mean to minimize the incredible burden that CF is on an affected individual and the people who love them. CF is one of the most time intensive conditions out there; it is without a doubt hugely emotionally and physically debilitating. No one on this forum doesn't know that already! But recognizing that you are not alone - that all of us experience challenges can help. Obviously that's not quite the way to explain it to a 7 or 9 year old. But for my little guy, I've helped him simply recognize the challenges around him. He has a friend at school who has peanut allergies and has to sit at a different table at lunch. What would happen if he got mad and just ate a Reese's cup?! His school also has an older student permanently in a wheelchair. What would happen if he refused to use it to get around? Another child has a trach. What happens if she pulls it out and throws it on the floor like I suspect she would like to do sometimes! Another has to go to the office at lunch for insulin. What would happen to her if she ate without her insulin? And there are of course various children with asthma, glasses, autism, etc. Yeah - there are lots of kids that look "normal" to you, but they just aren't old enough yet for them - or you - to know what their challenges are; but they have them. If we're contemplating not doing our treatments, or not taking our meds, I have asked how would you feel to see your peanut allergy friend stop breathing at lunch? Or see your classmate dragging his legs down the hall on the floor? That's a bit of emotional blackmail you may not want to use, but I have pointed out the personal and emotional consequences of non compliance before when needed! Now, I'm not suggesting that's the end of his feelings of being different, but it does usually help him keep things in perspective. And I have certainly said, I know hon, do you just want a break from the vest this morning? Ok - let's go ride our bike or do some gymnastics! Swim, climb, shoot a few baskets. Control. He feels out of control of his body and his time and his choices. He feels CF is controlling him and he will show it that HE's the one in control. So I acknowledge his feelings and allow him to exercise some control. Smaller ways that are very effective and detailed in the book include simply saying things like - do you want to do your vest now or in 10 minutes? Do you want to watch TV or play Minecraft while you're vesting? Control. Let him have the control he craves. After all, he really IS in control, isn't he? You can't really force a pill down his throat or physically catch him and put his vest on for 30 minutes without his agreement. So let him choose the things he can - like when, where and how he does these things. But not usually whether he does them.

Sometimes, I let him experiment just a bit. Recently he started "forgetting" to take his enzymes before meals. Now we all know how the chronic refusal to take enzymes can have disastrous consequences and I wasn't going to let that happen. But no matter what conversations we had, he kept "forgetting" at school. It was interfering with his feelings of being "normal" around his peers. Ok. Got it. I kept talking to him as a parent. But he was still "forgetting." So I would gently ask a few questions when he got home. Wow, hon. Really gassy today huh? I wonder why? Do you have any idea? He'd look down at his book and ignore me. Spent all gym in the bathroom again? Oh my gosh, hon. What can we do to fix that? I know you love gym! Let me know how I can help! Eventually he volunteered that he still wasn't taking his enzymes and how he didn't want to get his enzymes before lunch because he would have to give up his seat next to his friends to go get them. So we brainstormed an acceptable work around with him and his teacher - and his classmates - and it's been okay since. One more bullet dodged!

We do NOT however experiment on his TOBI. No no. TOBI is special. We make TOBI so attractive he can't resist. He can stay up 30 minutes on TOBI nights. He gets 30 minutes extra on the electronic device of his choice during TOBI. It's the exception to our maximum screen time in a day. We have NO problems with TOBI, at least not right now! When he's not on TOBI, sometimes I will say it's bedtime - and he will say - "Don't I need TOBI?" When he was your child's age, he got an extra booster pack of Pokémon for a compliant doctor's visit, or a week of perfect performance on . . . . whatever he needed to do! He's a bit past Pokémon now, but Minecraft . . . . anything Minecraft is a great motivator.

I truly like the idea of Skyping. Kids this age really don't have a forum - they're not usually proficient spellers or typists yet. But skyping sounds great. I would love to see a Skyping forum for kids! When DS was having lots of questions about being the only one vesting, I found showing him vesting videos on You Tube were absolutely healing for him. To see another kid vesting - and perhaps dancing to music while he did it - brought a huge smile to his face. He wasn't alone. Maybe we can start a thread with lots of links to helpful videos of other kiddos nebbing and vesting, even swallowing their handfuls of zymies at a time. I also found that some of the comic books our CF Center gave out explaining things like the need for enzymes with superheroes were better at convincing and explaining it to my little guy than I could ever do. And for him to see it in print, not just being told by Mom, opened a whole new world to him - a world where he wasn't alone.

Hugs.

nmw0615

Another thing I remembered last night that helped me was the calendar. When I was your son's age, my parents bought a calendar and some stickers. Every time I did my vest, I got a sticker to place on the calendar for that day. Every meal I took my pills without being reminded, I got a sticker for that day. Once I reached a previously decided on number of stickers, I got a gift card to any place of my choosing. Bribery? Yes. But more importantly, it helped give me a tangible benefit. Because, let's face it, health isn't something you can buy a toy with. It also helped me create a routine.

ashamalie

Thank you all for your suggestions! I never considered skyping, as we've never done it. I'm definitely getting the book.
We have asked for a referral at clinic with psych if necessary, but are thinking that social might have some other options to try first. I think it would be helpful, even if he weren't able to connect face to face, to have some sort of ability to connect on any level with kids or even older teens/young adults that go through the same things he goes through. I will find some of the youtube videos and sit with him and watch. That's another thing I've not considered.
We've tried a sticker chart, that I made weeks of on posterboard, with pictures and all for pills, for vesting, for nebulizer meds. He didn't care. He'd rather go without the rewards than do his treatments. I have no trouble with enzymes and other pills as long as I say "here are your pills." But if I'm not readily available to provide the hand for them, he will skip them. The school hunts him down if he doesn't come in. (This is wonderful in my eyes, but sometimes he's able to pull one over on them and eat before he ever gets the pills. )
CF is so exhausting not only physically, but emotionally as a parent, I can't imagine what it's like to HAVE it.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
so true. I'm usually focusing on how exhausting it is physically and emotionally for me, I forget what it must be like for him. I dread the day he gets there...I know he will. A couple months ago he said with this look of "hey, look what I figured out," "Hey, mommy, I just realized that if I didn't have cystic fibrosis, I'd have more time to play because I wouldn't have to do all my treatments." It broke my heart, but to him it was just an observation and not even a sad one....but I know that day is coming and dread it so much. big hugs.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Will your school give the enzymes to his teacher - maybe in a locked file cabinet - so the teacher can give them right before lunch? At 7, I wouldn't expect him to volunteer himself. If not, can't the person who gives them to him watch the clock and go to the classroom 5 minutes before lunch? Or send him down 5 minutes before lunch to get them. That one seems like it should be easier to solve..... If you are past the pills, and it's nebbies and vest you're fighting, never ask if he's willing, never plead. Cry in private only. Do not yell. Just give choices of when how and where. If he says never, remind him that wasn't one of the choices - but there are lots of others. The book will help immensely on this one! Don't give up. This will pass.

ashamalie

He has to go to the nurses office to get them. He's been pretty good about it so far this year. Some days he sneaks it in but they hunt him down.
Our biggest argument is treatments and Aerobika, because he has to stop playing outside with them. We're going to get a liquid antibiotic and try it. If that fails, we'll end up getting a PICC line to get them in.

Gracie Adams

We did not start having problems until this year with my daughter, who is 19 and will be 20 in November. She has always accepted the cf part, but was diagnosed with cfrd (cystic fibrosis related diabetes) when she was 15. She always comments now, where she talks to other young adults on twitter how sick they are and actually passing away. Sometimes she is like why bother, and it just breaks my heart. As parents we have always made sure to treat her just like her brothers, but still keeping up on meds and treatments. She goes to college and works and tries to have a social life, but it catches up with her. She just spent 2 weeks up at childrens. Just stay on him, even if he gets upset. In high school her teachers looked the other way and let her carry her enzymes and insulin pens, now she has an insulin pump. Thank goodness her friends are always telling her to take her enzymes and check her sugars.

mom2brett

My son was diagnosed at almost 7, he's now almost 12. We still argue about having to do treatments daily & I have to remind him daily to take his enzymes. I feel like this is a normal part of their life cycle. They are going through some crazy things hormonally & add cf on to of that & it causes them more stress. Sometimes refusing is the only way they feel they have control.

We are in Houston & TX Children's here has a program called Child Life. They have people on staff to talk to the kids. They talk WITH the kids, get on their level & explain things to them. Our Child Life person is amazing. She is there during every visit, she gets on her knees next to my son's chair & explains to him what we adults are discussing. He's a gamer & she puts it all in gaming terms for him, it's really helped him understand WHY we have to do things & how it can affect him.

Because he's a gamer his breathing time is special gaming time. I feel like that time shouldn't be a punishment, he doesn't deserve to have to do this, so I make it as enjoyable for him as possible.

It's a tough road we have as parents, and not just because of this disease. But we have to be the strong ones for them. And I love the idea of Skyping other cf'ers. When my son plays on the xbox he's often doing his breathing/vest & explains to others what's going on. I'm sure comparing notes with other cf'ers would be great for him.

Keep your chin up momma, you got this!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
And heres the most recent version of medikidz comics on cystic fibrosis. I believe this is a British site. The comic on enzymes used to be Whats Up With Justin? It explained the inner working of the pancreas and why Cfers need a high fat diet and enzymes. My DS really enjoyed it. It was revelation to him despite our repeated explanations of the same material! Its a comic book - so he was interested! https://www.medikidz.com/shop/page.php?pageid=25#open-specs