Heat Rash? (variant, mild CF)

C

CarsonClark

A little context:

At the age of 5 I was diagnosed with asthma, but the treatments and symptoms never seemed to quite fit. At 20 I went to the Mayo Clinic and they started piecing it together. I have high salt content in my sweat, low sperm count, increased mucus, recurrent pneumonia, irregular stool, and skin quickly wrinkling under water. But when they sent my DNA off to Johns Hopkins they only found one of the two required genetic mutations. Ultimately the doctor diagnosed me with "variant, mild Cystic Fibrosis." It has been a strange experience. On the one hand, I've been fortunate enough that my symptoms were mild such that I could play college basketball. On the other hand, I couldn't finish the season because of pneumonia. Meanwhile, people who don't have CF don't get it and people with CF treat my condition as though it's not real. I say that not to complain--I count myself fortunate--but I do have this weird existence with "variant, mild CF." No one quite knows what to do with me. Hopefully that wasn't too much background info...

I'm now 29 and living in Texas. In June I was on a long, hot walk outside. Was sweating profusely and broke into a full body rash. At first it felt like just a mosquito bite (to which I've always have great sensitivity) on my forehead, but then it appeared on my cheek. Without 5-10 minutes it was appearing everywhere, though my legs weren't as bad. Benadryl and a cold shower knocked it out. That that the first time I'd ever had such an event. I thought it might have some environmental cause or something. Well, it happened again in September. Same thing. I thought maybe it was a response to Ibuprofen or something. Tried to recreate it the next day. Outside in the sun sweating big time. Nothin'... Then it happened again last night. Same thing. Hot day. I was on a long walk. Sweating. Broke out. I should mention that I'm going through a very difficult and stressful season of life right now. It seems to be heat + stress that causes it, but I honestly don't know.

So, I guess I'm primarily just looking for comments and suggestions for things to research. Is it probably heat rash? Could it be something else other than heat rash? What could be the possible causes? What is going on biologically that causes it? What can I be doing to prevent these outbreaks as best I can? Etc. I'm open to any and all comments and suggestions. Thank you.

H

Hail2Pitt

Well, if nothing else I can empathize - I have "mild" CF as well, and also get periodic rashes that are brought on by heat. I've never gotten full-body rashes, but I get it on my stomach, chest, back, and shoulders. And same thing - Benadryl and a cold shower knocks it out. I only seem to get it when I'm hot and sweaty and doing something outside (i.e., doesn't happen when I'm working out inside), but there doesn't seem to be a real pattern to it. I'd never attributed it to CF and/or stress, but perhaps you're on to something.

Sorry I'm not really any help, but I'd be interested to hear if you learn anything more about it!

A

Anto704

I dont have Variant Mild CF but just the full on CF.
But i sweat alot too in hot weather and can sometimes come out in rash. But i have sodium Chloride tablets in the summer as it helps to replace the salt that you lose. Are you on them? if not maybe that is a idea. Especially if another syptom you get is cramps.

kmhbeauty

I have a mild progression of CF. I have gotten an all over rash before but I assumed it was bad shrimp that I ate that day. I cant remember if I was out in the sun or not. I did get a shot in the butt and it went right away. I have been getting a small rash a lot lately around my joints along with pain. Are you having any joint pain? Maybe its something when you immune system is low. That's when Im getting these small rashes. They take a few days and then they are gone. Im starting to notice im getting it more often though. The only think Im seeing is not enough sleep and low immune system when I do get them.

A

Anto704

With the rashes i dont usaully get joint pain, although in saying that sometimes i get joint paint and the red spots on it sometimes but i found out that that was Low Bone Density and just needed more Vitamin D. But i have a low immune system too as i have CF related diabetes so it makes my immune system lower. Have you spoke to a doctor about these rashes? maybe they could do a blood test to make certain what it is :)

azmaveth

Hey there!

I also have what is considered a mild case of CF. I had similar symptoms as you in my youth and wasn't fully diagnosed until just a few years ago. I have one mutation and a 5T variant. My sweat has always been very salty, and I am able to rust "stainless" steel with my touch. I have had rashes just as you describe, which I surmise is because of the extra salt on my body as I sweat. Different clothes will give me more or less of a reaction, but I haven't bothered trying to track down which materials seem to interact the worst with my salty skin.