Help with PFT results

jshet

My son had his clinic visit today, and he had a drop in his PFT's. His doctor said he is not too concerned because his FEV/1/FVC and FEF 25-75 were pretty much the same as last time. Of course being a mom, i can't but be a little concerned. I must admit, i still don't understand reading these results too well, and thought the most important number was the FEV1. Anyone understand these results?

Today Last time
FVC. 3.50 (79%). FVC. 3.69 (84%)
FEV1. 3.32 (87%). FEV1 3.55 (94%)
FE.v1/FVC. 95 ( 113%). FEV1/FVC. 96 (115%)
FEF 25-75. 4.91 (116%). FEF 25-75 4.83 (115%)

until todays test, his FEV 1 has always been in the 90's. He is having no symptoms. He did bring up a bronch., but he has a bleeding disorder, so that could cause more harm than good. They did do a throat culture , like always, but thus far has never cultured anything too nasty.
Thanks in advance, Jshet

nmw0615

I wouldn't be extremely worried yet. It's a drop, but it's the first drop. It could have just been an "off" day for your son. I've had those when I thought for sure I'd be high 50s, maybe even low 60s, only to blow a 43. It if he continues to trend down that it becomes a real concern.

Obviously, just make sure he's feeling good and there's no real changes in sleep or cough patterns. If there's a change, let the doctor know.

jshet

Thank you nmw0615. Yes, i have decided i Am not going to worry about it. I think it worried me because his last PFT's were higher than these, and with the last ones he was coming off of 2 sinus infections, and this one today he has been very healthy.
just gonna relax and wait for the next one.