Job/career for 25y/o male CF'er with 30% fev1

nhaggard07

Im really racking my brain lately trying to figure out what I'm going to do. When I was 18 I moved out on my own and had a decent construction job. After a year of that, the company I worked for went belly up. I moved back home and that experience made me realize I need an education. About half way through my first semester of college I got really ill and had 6 pneumothoraxes over a period of 7-8 months (I was "cured" with a pleurodesis surgery). This put college on hold, thankfully I was able to finish and get credit for the semester from home. My mom helped me file for SSI at that point and Ive been on it since. I didn't file for disability so I can still make around 1k a month in addition to receiving the SSI benefits. I worked at a local restaurant the past few years earning the 1k a month cap, plus my SSI, and for a 21-24 year old living at home, this was definitely a livable income.
Well, about 18 months ago I came down with recurring pneumonia that totally wrecked my health. I had a feeding tube put in around Dec. last year. I always hovered around 130lbs, but since Feb. this year Ive weighed 180-190lbs. My body feels much stronger and healthier now despite the fact my Fev1 has stayed at around 30% the past year. Its a very strange feeling to be the strongest/healthiest you've felt in your life but have no stamina. If I could analogize it would be like I have much more horsepower, but I run out of gas fast. If I carry a decently heavy trash bag to the can outside, Im taking a break and catching my breath after I toss it in the can. If Im lifting something very heavy, my muscles don't burn or ache, but within a few seconds Im huffing and puffing and need to sit down. Even walking at a slight incline for a relatively short distance causes me to really struggle with breathing.
I'm 25 now and want to find something I can do to live a life. My other siblings have careers and their own houses. I know everyone understands to an extent, but it is bothering me that I'm still at home with no job. Its a form of torture in a way to wake up every morning with absolutely nothing to do. I try to find things to do around the house just to break free from the boredom and contribute in some way. I don't want to live like this and I can tell its effecting me socially and bringing on depression.
I would appreciate any and all ideas of what career or job I would be suited to at this point.
I welcome a transplant when my time comes. I feel with a new set of lungs, I'd be a new person.

C

Cardinal

Do you live near a CF research/treatment center? Oftentimes they'll work extra hard to find a CF patient a part time job and they understand very well when you're under the weather. Barring that, a computer job may fit your stamina level - if there's nothing open near you, you could take some computer classes at a community college. Even some online classes. Something to do to move you forward toward a better future.

Are you on a transplant list currently?

calebf

So sorry to hear about your situation. I'm 26. Only 1 year of college. I taught myself a programming language coming out of high school and dabbled in building/promoting websites. Got my first job based on that experience. I now work at an advertising agency doing search engine optimization with a solid income and great benefits. I get job inquiries frequently. Recently was considered for a position where an MBA was preferred, college degree "required". That's all to say that college isn't your only option.

My advice - if it interests you - forget college and teach yourself HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and specializing in Node.js + AngularJS development creating web and mobile applications. PHP, Python, and Java are also popular but I'd recommend just running with JavaScript since you can write a full featured web application completely in JavaScript. Google "MEAN stack" for more info. It's a growing industry and if you establish yourself on a freelance website like Elance or Odesk you can make decent money ($50+/hour) on your own schedule. If you price competitively and know what you're doing you have an instant edge because you live within a US timezone and can speak English fluently. Plus it's fun and you can do it in a hospital room if you have to :) I was hospitalized 4 times this year and taught myself Python during one hospitalization.

You could also teach yourself paid search (get AdWords certified) as well as search engine optimization (SEO) - look at Moz.com and SearchEngineLand.com as starting points - and then reach out to local small businesses to run their paid search accounts and optimize their websites for SEO. SEO and paid search are a bit easier than programming to get into but more competitive and constantly changing. Another idea for working with local small businesses is to just learn HTML, CSS, and PhotoShop. You can make $1000+ on a small small business website. If you can offer paid search and SEO too you could charge monthly after the website build. Tack on setting up their social media accounts as well and charge monthly for basic management of the accounts. Honestly if I was out of a job tomorrow and had no income and no other options this is what I'd do. When selling yourself focus on what you can do, not your education.

Another option is to only teach yourself SEO and do copywriting on a site like Fiverr.com. Honestly you don't even have to be that good at writing to make money doing SEO copywriting. I don't recommend this as a long term option.

Best of luck to you!

ChestMaster

What area do you live in? Most cities have programs that you can access that will help you find a job if you've got a disability. Barring that, you have a fantastic network right here that might be able to help you find something that would suit you. I think Calebf's suggestion was an excellent one. There are tons of jobs you can do from home, on your own schedule, and he's mentioned a bunch that are relatively easy to learn the skills for and market to companies. Let us know what area you're in and maybe we can help! Take good care!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Totally agree with Caleb's suggestion and "wow" that is amazing what you did! But if that doesn't interest you, what do you enjoy? Oftentimes, what you enjoy can be translated into a "career." For instance, if you enjoy politics, some of the internet groups hire news consolidators and if you enjoy reading news that could work. If you post some of your interests maybe someone has an idea.

W

welshwitch

Go to a career counselor to find out what feeds your soul and what you'd be good at! It's amazing what a non-biased, outside perspective can do! There's a good career for you. When there's a will, there's a way. Good luck!

cam

Hey I think we all ben there I know I have im on disability but can work alittle so I do just for something to do but my full time job is doin my treatments and takin care of myself it can get boring and stressful I try and workout and do things with family just whatever makes u happy and fulfilled just take care of ur self is main thing hope u get better and find something that makes u happy

Jake Hyden

I know exactly how you feel. I've been working for a company called Leapforce for the past three years. It's completely work at home, and you can work full-time if you want. I promise its not a scam, they just employ you as an independent contractor. You can find the website at leapforceathome.com. They start out at $13.50 an hour and its kept the bills paid for my last 2 years of college and now that I'm graduated its still the best option for me.