My heart races when I just walk. I've had a transplant

randomgirl

I've had a double lung and liver transplant in 2012. My lung function is fine and is as high as it's been after the transplant at about 60%. But I started to get palpitations in October. And now my heart races so much whenever I just walk or do anything that is somewhat physical. I also seem to get out of breath when my heart races but not extremely so. This heart racing thing recently started and I have a pulse oximeter but it's so slow and doesn't read until at least 2 minutes after I put it on and it doesn't read me when I move. It gets normal soon after I rest. Does anyone know what this could be? I know my lung transplant coordinator would not really care that my heart races after just walking so I'm not going to mention it to her.

CFcarebear

I would tell your coordinator, especially since you are out of breath. It could be an early sign of rejection, but I'm praying that's not the case for you.

randomgirl

I actually did end up telling my lung transplant coordinator. I told her that I also have thrush so she gave me some Levofloxacin (antibiotic). I feel like it is rejection starting but no one seems to take me seriously. Thank you.

donin

Randomgirl - I hope it's not rejection. Can I ask about your transplant experience? Where did you go? How long did you have to wait? Thank you.

B

BreathinSteven

Hi randomgirl... I'm uncertain why CFcarebear is moving toward rejection -- the fact that you've got a liver along with your lungs probably complicates things a bit... Here are the symptoms Mayo lists for lung rejection:

[h=3]What are the warning signs of possible rejection?[/h]If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your transplant coordinator immediately:

• Fever over 100°F (38°C)
  • "Flu-like" symptoms: chills, aches, headache, dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting
  • Chest congestion
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
  • New pain or tenderness around the lung
  • Fatigue or generally feeling "lousy"

The idea that you currently have 60% lung function and that's as high as it has been (and apparently is not dipping at this point) -- it would seem that exertion with 60% lung function would lead to a much stronger heart rate increase than "normal" people... You probably want to question that with your clinic... The fact that you have a liver could make rejection symptoms different than a lungs-only transplant...

If you're concerned that it might be rejection - and you're not getting far with your nurse coordinator - maybe you should schedule a clinic appointment to speak directly to one of the doctors and find out why they are not concerned...

Thrush is a fungal infection - I believe usually caused by the candida fungus... I don't believe that Levofloxacin would normally be prescribed for that... We usually get some type of mouthwash / gargled medication for cases of thrush I thought... So - if they're prescribing Levofloxacin, they must be agreeing with you, in some way, that you may have some lung / infection involvement going on...

Love, Steve

randomgirl

donin- I went to Houston Methodist for my transplant and I waited about 23 months to get the call. I can answer any other questions. I don't mind at all.

BreathinSteven- Hi Steve. Thank you for listing those symptoms. I've done some research (not that I'm an expert or anything) but a person does not always present all those symptoms when they have rejection. Well for almost 2 years, I have not had my heart race until now. Nor have I been out of breath as easy as I have been lately. My transplant coordinator talks with the doctors and then she tells me what to do. So the doctors should know too. Thank you for your suggestion though. I also just had a clinic appointment at the end of October and things were fine then. And you're right...Levofloxacin is for bacteria, not fungal infections. Antibiotics actually make yeast infections worse or can create them if they someone didn't have them to begin with. And usually people are prescribed Nystatin mouthwash when they have thrush but that didn't have an effect on me when I took it for months. Thank you for helping :).

B

BreathinSteven

You're absolutely right, Randomgirl... rejection can present itself in many different ways beyond the "standards" I posted... Also complicating matters is your liver transplant - I have no idea what odd symptoms liver issues may present! I hope you get this all figured out... Love, Steve