Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: mycobacterium avium complex

mycobacterium avium complex

Bookworm that was a excellent response OMG great... I started culturing MAC in the late 90's I did get treated with the cocktail of 3 meds for abt 8mts. But these were very sensative to the liver and kidneys and had to have mtly blood work as well. After that we did not specifically treat just for MAC I also heard abt Denver but choose not to make the trip from NY I read alot on line abt it some was very scarry, and I did some research as well and when I found out it was from dirt and water I thought ok so now what? I always had a garden flowers and veg. every year, never thought that cld be a issue, so gave that up quick. Also our water here on Long Is. in NY is considered what they call hard water alot of minerals I spray bleach into the shower head where ever I remember to do it,not sure that helps but always run it a few mins before and keep the window open in the BR. Whenever I did have to do IV's we always used a different meds, but the MAC has become resistant to all but I still do well with Zithro and Bactrim when I'm really sick and that has not been for some time. Once you culture it I think you always will? I also go by the way I feel day to day week to week, rather than what I just cultured. I am on Bactrim 365 days a year. Just finsihed 2nd round of Cayston as well. So Tamara don't be to worried that will make you sick as well, and I agreee that probably 50% of CF people do curture MAC good luck Take Care/Be Well - Pat 56/CF

0 Not allowed!

Good to see that you are getting some responses here from others. I'm sure a lot of people have a lot to contribute on this topic. I forgot to mention an important symptom - increased cough.<br>
    <br>In terms of water and showerheads, I've been spending more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure out how I can improve water quality if necessary. I've read quite a few studies on mycobacterium and it is a very wily bug to kill off. Apparently chlorine doesn't do it and it is really attracted to growing in plastic. It grows in the resin in water softeners and UV treatment damages the mycobacterium (gives it lesions) - but it apparently recovers after some time. If you have water filters, it's possible the mycobacterium may multiply there, so it's a tough call - about whether you're improving things or making them worse.
    <br>
    <br>One thing that I did read was that you should use a metal showerhead if possible and clean it with a stiff brush monthly. My current solution is just to buy cheap showerheads and replace often, because I'm not sure what I can clean with that will get everything. The NTM info site likely has more information about the study with the showerheads. I've done a lot of research on google scholar for mycobacterium avium and water articles.

0 Not allowed!

Good to see that you are getting some responses here from others. I'm sure a lot of people have a lot to contribute on this topic. I forgot to mention an important symptom - increased cough.<br>
    <br>In terms of water and showerheads, I've been spending more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure out how I can improve water quality if necessary. I've read quite a few studies on mycobacterium and it is a very wily bug to kill off. Apparently chlorine doesn't do it and it is really attracted to growing in plastic. It grows in the resin in water softeners and UV treatment damages the mycobacterium (gives it lesions) - but it apparently recovers after some time. If you have water filters, it's possible the mycobacterium may multiply there, so it's a tough call - about whether you're improving things or making them worse.
    <br>
    <br>One thing that I did read was that you should use a metal showerhead if possible and clean it with a stiff brush monthly. My current solution is just to buy cheap showerheads and replace often, because I'm not sure what I can clean with that will get everything. The NTM info site likely has more information about the study with the showerheads. I've done a lot of research on google scholar for mycobacterium avium and water articles.

0 Not allowed!

<br>

0 Not allowed!

sorry - duplicate - due to server problem

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Good to see that you are getting some responses here from others. I'm sure a lot of people have a lot to contribute on this topic.

In terms of water and showerheads, I've been spending more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure out how I can improve water quality if necessary. I've read quite a few studies on mycobacterium and it is a very wily bug to kill off. Apparently chlorine doesn't do it and it is really attracted to growing in plastic. It grows in the resin in water softeners and UV treatment damages the mycobacterium (gives it lesions) - but it apparently recovers after some time. If you have water filters, it's possible the mycobacterium may multiply there, so it's a tough call - about whether you're improving things or making them worse.

One thing that I did read was that you should use a metal showerhead if possible and clean it with a stiff brush monthly. My current solution is just to buy cheap showerheads and replace often, because I'm not sure what I can clean with that will get everything. The NTM info site likely has more information about the study with the showerheads. I've done a lot of research on google scholar for mycobacterium avium and water articles.

0 Not allowed!

Good to see that you are getting some responses here from others. I'm sure a lot of people have a lot to contribute on this topic.

In terms of water and showerheads, I've been spending more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure out how I can improve water quality if necessary. I've read quite a few studies on mycobacterium and it is a very wily bug to kill off. Apparently chlorine doesn't do it and it is really attracted to growing in plastic. It grows in the resin in water softeners and UV treatment damages the mycobacterium (gives it lesions) - but it apparently recovers after some time. If you have water filters, it's possible the mycobacterium may multiply there, so it's a tough call - about whether you're improving things or making them worse.

One thing that I did read was that you should use a metal showerhead if possible and clean it with a stiff brush monthly. My current solution is just to buy cheap showerheads and replace often, because I'm not sure what I can clean with that will get everything. The NTM info site likely has more information about the study with the showerheads. I've done a lot of research on google scholar for mycobacterium avium and water articles.

0 Not allowed!

<br />
    <br />In terms of water and showerheads, I've been spending more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure out how I can improve water quality if necessary. I've read quite a few studies on mycobacterium and it is a very wily bug to kill off. Apparently chlorine doesn't do it and it is really attracted to growing in plastic. It grows in the resin in water softeners and UV treatment damages the mycobacterium (gives it lesions) - but it apparently recovers after some time. If you have water filters, it's possible the mycobacterium may multiply there, so it's a tough call - about whether you're improving things or making them worse.
    <br />
    <br />One thing that I did read was that you should use a metal showerhead if possible and clean it with a stiff brush monthly. My current solution is just to buy cheap showerheads and replace often, because I'm not sure what I can clean with that will get everything. The NTM info site likely has more information about the study with the showerheads. I've done a lot of research on google scholar for mycobacterium avium and water articles.

0 Not allowed!