Join Now!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long for sweat test results?

How long for sweat test results?

Katie has her sweat test on April 21 at 10:30 AM. How many of you were able to wait and get the results that day while you were still at the hospital? It's a Friday, and I would like to know rather than wait out the weekend, if possible.

0 Not allowed!

When Courtney had her first sweat test the hospital called and left a message before we were even able to get home. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sweat tests we had the results in a matter of an hour.

I was told the sweat test takes only a matter of minutes to get the results.

I would call them today and say you want the results.

Seana

0 Not allowed!

We got my son's sweat test the same day of the test, just a few hours later. My son's pediatrician called on the phone with the results. Be vocal in letting the doctor know you want to know the results right away.

0 Not allowed!

Also.....Courtney had sweat tests in 3 different hospitals, in 2 different states and 3 different cities, so I would think it would be the same everywhere.

Seana

0 Not allowed!

look into getting a genic study. I think the results are in in about two weeks. We got our unofficial results in a week. You can just about get one and have the results before you go in for the sweat test. Genic test covers everything, not just CF. And if you have CF, it will tell you what mutation which is very important.

My little girl came back negative on her sweat test due to lab screw up. I can pretty much say she almost died as a result as CF was ruled out and they started looking for other things. It wasn't until later that a genic study was performed that we found out her condition. We checked into the hosiptial that day (about 2 months after the sweat test and a continue downward spiral) and the nurses didn't think she would make it through the night.

Therefore, I'm against sweat tests. Even though the lab screwed up and my girl was to small for the test (less than 8 pounds) so it really wasn't the "sweat test's" fault, I'm still agianst them.

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the replies. I had thought you could get them in a timely manner but wasn't sure how fast. Thanks! I'll let you know soon.

0 Not allowed!

DS's was done mid-morning and we got the results back in a couple of hours. He was in the NICU at the time recovering from bowel surgery. They were pretty sure he had cf; however, sweat test did come back normal. Genetic blood tests showed he had CF. He was probably to little to get an accurate test result. Liza

0 Not allowed!

Genetics testing still misses a good number of cases! Especially if they do the standard CF genetics instead of quest or ambry(which most insurance won't pay until the standard one has been done)

I have 1DF508 and 1 unknown, if we had gone by genetics testing I might not be here!

To me the place to start is the sweat test and basic genetic testing for CF and see what comes up.

The sweat test is still the gold standard and picks up cases genetics testing doesn't(and vise versa)

I know of a little girl with CF, positive sweat test, typical symptoms, treated for CF and diagnosed at a CF clnic. Evne ambry hasnt been able to identify her mutations yet. Without the sweat test that little girl might not be here. Same for me as it would have been easy to pass me off as a carrier

0 Not allowed!

Also right now although the mutations you have is a nice thing to know, its not that important as there are currently no mutation specific treatments.

So its no as important as that one poster makes it sound.

0 Not allowed!

Courtney is also.........

DF508 and one unknown mutation. They still diagnosed her by her symptoms.

Seana

0 Not allowed!