Join Now!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: My Unborn Baby And CF

  1. #11

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    hi it's me again... orginator of the topic.
    it's all being taken care of. it's still just a wait and see game that i think has me all up in knots.

    If both parents carry the gene, there is a 25% chance of having a child with no genetic problem. However, there is a 25% chance of having a child with CF and a 50% chance of having a child who is a carrier. This means the child does not have CF but can pass the disease or trait to his or her children.
    If only one parent is a carrier of a defective CFTR gene, the child will not have CF, and there is a 50% chance that the child will have no genetic problem. However, there is a 50% chance that the child will be a CF carrier.

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #12

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    You could always have an amnio. But all that would tell you is whether or not the baby has CF. If the baby does have then your husband is a carrier. If the baby does not then your husband may still be a carrier and you would want to have him screened before having any more kids. Good luck!

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #13

    RE: My Unborn Baby And CF

    You meant 75% chance of having a healthy baby right? If you are both carriers, the baby has a 25% chance of having CF. We found out with this pregnancy that my husband and I are both carriers and decided not to do the amnio because of the risks. We are going to have our baby's cord blood tested when she is born. I freaked at first, but after getting on this site daily and learning more about CF, I really don't think about it. I am just trying to enjoy this pregnancy since it will probably be our last and we will deal with whatever comes our way - we always do! Good luck to you.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #14

    RE: My Unborn Baby And CF

    25% chance of CF, 50% chance of carrying the gene, and a 25% chance of being free of CF or the gene.
    The phenotype [how it physically looks] your child would have a 75% chance of no CF whatsoever and be 'healthy' although still carry the gene but since that doesn't apparently manifest itself physically it wouldn't show up as a phenotype and still be 75% for non CF. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #15

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    Hi, my name is Jennifer. I am a 24 year old with CF and am trying to conceive. I have been through the genetic testing hoops that you are now facing. Since I have CF, both of my genes are positive. My husband got the genetic testing and both of his genes are negative. Therefore, our baby has less than a 10% chance of having CF. However, our baby would have a 25% chance of being a carrier with no symptoms.

    My recommedation for you is:

    1. Since your husband is not able to get tested, I would recommend getting both of his parents tested for the gene. That would probably be the next best thing. Hopefully, you know both of his parents. If you don't or only one consents to the testing, the test will mean nothing. ONLY ONE PARENT HAS TO CARRY THE GENE FOR HIM TO BE A CARRIER. TWO PARENTS MUST CARRY THE GENE TO HAVE A CHILD WITH CF. A CARRIER OF THE GENE USUALLY DOES NOT KNOW UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE! THAT IS HOW I WAS BORN WITH CF. MY FAMILY HAD NO HISTORY OF THE DISEASE.

    2. If you can't do the testing on both of his parents, you could have his siblings tested. However, if for example his sister is negative to carry the gene, that doesn't mean he doesn't care the gene. IF MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TWO CHILDREN, EACH ONE HAS A 25% CHANCE OF CARRYING THE GENE. ONE MIGHT - ONE MIGHT NOT.

    THE BEST CHANCE WOULD BE TO GET HIS PARENTS TESTED.

    But please don't get upset. Only 1 out of 32 white Americans carry the gene. Only 1 out of 62 Hispanic carry the gene. And only 1 out of 78 Blacks carry the gene. I think it is unlikely your baby will have CF. He or she may be a carrier. But I highly doubt your baby will have CF. I will always offer you and your husband support.

    Jenny

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #16

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    Hi, my name is Jennifer. I am a 24 year old with CF and am trying to conceive. I have been through the genetic testing hoops that you are now facing. Since I have CF, both of my genes are positive. My husband got the genetic testing and both of his genes are negative. Therefore, our baby has less than a 10% chance of having CF. However, our baby would have a 25% chance of being a carrier with no symptoms.

    My recommedation for you is:

    1. Since your husband is not able to get tested, I would recommend getting both of his parents tested for the gene. That would probably be the next best thing. Hopefully, you know both of his parents. If you don't or only one consents to the testing, the test will mean nothing. ONLY ONE PARENT HAS TO CARRY THE GENE FOR HIM TO BE A CARRIER. TWO PARENTS MUST CARRY THE GENE TO HAVE A CHILD WITH CF. A CARRIER OF THE GENE USUALLY DOES NOT KNOW UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE! THAT IS HOW I WAS BORN WITH CF. MY FAMILY HAD NO HISTORY OF THE DISEASE.

    2. If you can't do the testing on both of his parents, you could have his siblings tested. However, if for example his sister is negative to carry the gene, that doesn't mean he doesn't care the gene. IF MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TWO CHILDREN, EACH ONE HAS A 25% CHANCE OF CARRYING THE GENE. ONE MIGHT - ONE MIGHT NOT.

    THE BEST CHANCE WOULD BE TO GET HIS PARENTS TESTED.

    But please don't get upset. Only 1 out of 32 white Americans carry the gene. Only 1 out of 62 Hispanic carry the gene. And only 1 out of 78 Blacks carry the gene. I think it is unlikely your baby will have CF. He or she may be a carrier. But I highly doubt your baby will have CF. I will always offer you and your husband support.

    Jenny

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #17

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    Um, not to burst your bubble, Jenny, but if you and your husband have children, there is a 100% chance your children will carry the gene. Since you have both alelles for CF, and you husband had none, YOur punnet square would look something like this. YOu= cc , because Cf is recessive, your husband = CC. Your kids= Cc


    c c

    C Cc Cc

    C Cc Cc

    IT's explained much better here http://www.cysticfibrosismaleinfertility.com/Before_you_begin.html


    0 Not allowed!

  8. #18

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    Jenny,

    ACtually, your baby has a 0% chance of having CF, and a 100% chance of being a carrier.

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #19

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    Allie and Anonymous,

    As far as having a child as a carrier of CF, I completely understanding what you are telling me. That is what I thought initially. My doctors were the ones to tell me that a child would only have a 25 % chance of having a child that carries CF. I believe what you are telling me. Especially with the punnet square as you mentioned Allie.

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #20

    RE:My Unborn Baby And CF

    I'd say you seriously need to talk to your doctors.....that flies in the face of everything I know... I'm curious as to why he thinks that.

    0 Not allowed!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •