Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We can't put it off any longer <sigh>

We can't put it off any longer <sigh>

<P>Yep, it's true. Sean is getting a G-tube next week. No one is happy about it least of all, Sean. He's sworn up and down that he will be giving up all activities and that without a doubt, I am ruining his life. Of course I know I'm not ruining his life, we're just trying to get him back on the growth chart before it's too late. However I know this will be emotionally challenging for him. When he tells me his summer will be the worst ever, I can't really argue with him... no swimming or tubing means our two vacations will be more like torture than vacation.</P>
    <P>As an added bonus Sean gets to do a three week course of antibiotics.</P>
    <P>It's been said before but, "CF sucks!"</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>

0 Not allowed!

<P>Yep, it's true. Sean is getting a G-tube next week. No one is happy about it least of all, Sean. He's sworn up and down that he will be giving up all activities and that without a doubt, I am ruining his life. Of course I know I'm not ruining his life, we're just trying to get him back on the growth chart before it's too late. However I know this will be emotionally challenging for him. When he tells me his summer will be the worst ever, I can't really argue with him... no swimming or tubing means our two vacations will be more like torture than vacation.</P>
    <P></P>

0 Not allowed!

<P><BR></P>

0 Not allowed!

Why can't he swim? I swim with my g-tube... I can understand tubing if he is on his stomach but if he is on his back he should be fine.... Maybe the first 6 weeks until the track is healed up but after that he should be good to go right?!

But yes, cf sucks and its hard to do ivs in the summer b/c you cant swim, I would rather have ivs in the winter for sure!

0 Not allowed!

Why can't he swim? I swim with my g-tube... I can understand tubing if he is on his stomach but if he is on his back he should be fine.... Maybe the first 6 weeks until the track is healed up but after that he should be good to go right?!

But yes, cf sucks and its hard to do ivs in the summer b/c you cant swim, I would rather have ivs in the winter for sure!

0 Not allowed!

<br />
    <br />But yes, cf sucks and its hard to do ivs in the summer b/c you cant swim, I would rather have ivs in the winter for sure!

0 Not allowed!

I'm surprised you say no swimming, I just had a g-tube placed a month ago and I was told before I was discharged that I could shower, bath, swim like normal. I wasn't thrilled about getting one either but it's honestly not been as bad as I thought. The only annoying thing is having the tube just hanging there or getting it snagged on something. When I go out I wrap/tape it down or wear a tighter tank top under my shirt to keep it from hanging out below my shirt. Also have they talked to you at all about having it switched to the mic-key after it's healed? I was told I have to wait three months but then they'll change it and it'll be pretty much unnoticeable unless I'm wearing a bathing suit.

0 Not allowed!

I'm surprised you say no swimming, I just had a g-tube placed a month ago and I was told before I was discharged that I could shower, bath, swim like normal. I wasn't thrilled about getting one either but it's honestly not been as bad as I thought. The only annoying thing is having the tube just hanging there or getting it snagged on something. When I go out I wrap/tape it down or wear a tighter tank top under my shirt to keep it from hanging out below my shirt. Also have they talked to you at all about having it switched to the mic-key after it's healed? I was told I have to wait three months but then they'll change it and it'll be pretty much unnoticeable unless I'm wearing a bathing suit.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Blog Entries

Yes it sucks, I'm sorry for what you're going through. If its any consolation, tell Sean my boys were 13 and 9 when they got their g-tubes. They are now 20 and 16. They have played town baseball and basketball, participated in all scouting activities (including overnight camp), go on vacation and on sleepovers, swim and a number of other "normal" activities. You make it work, because it is best for your health. Its not always easy, but in the long run, he will be healthier.
    Good luck, I understand.

0 Not allowed!