Phage against pseudomonas staphylocoque aureus

Richard Gamba

Hello everyone,
Here is someone here whose lungs are colonized with pseudomonas, staph aureus tried a phage therapy ?If yes, what are the potential side effects and risks of phage therapy in CF patients?
Heard a lot of good things on Phage this time, so I'd like to try.

Many Thanks,

Richard

Johny81Johny

Hi Richard,

in these days I am in contact with bacteriophage Institute in Tbilisi (Europe - Georgia) and in Wroclaw (Europe - Poland).
They have phages for pseudomonas aureginosa, staphylococcus, and Burkholderia cepacia too...
One CF female patient from Australlia started phage therapy for multi-resistant Pseudomonas aureginosa few days ago.
Link to her experiences and blog here .
I am searching for more info and crossing fingers!

LKBamberg

I am also looking into it. My doc's are kinda resistant to it. But I think it will be very effective! I say keep up the search.

CFParent2

I am also looking into it. My doc's are kinda resistant to it. But I think it will be very effective! I say keep up the search.

I looked into this about 10 years ago. Insurance would not pay for this and they were just starting to have offices outside of Georgia ( the country near USSR). Overall looks like a great old technique that lost popularity when antibiotics came out. Thing that is scary for Doctors is that you are introducing another bacteria to fight another bacteria. Each bacteria would have to have FDA approval the way our system is set up. I guess it is ok to have stuff growing in your yogurt (probiotics) that helps with digestion, but not in your lungs.

RayRDT

Are there clinics in North America ??? Does is really eradicate chronic PA with biofilm ??? Where can I get more info ???

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
There's limited phage therapy because the outcomes are not always predictable. From the bacteria's viewpoint they are at war with other microbes from yeasts and viruses to competing bacteria. Apex predators in the single cell world are phages so a bacteriophage would be needed to attack and consume P.a. These exist in uncountable varieties and most of them are unsuitable in humans for the purpose of eliminating a certain type of infection.

This goes full circle to the discovery of antibiotics. Discovered, not made or modified, antibiotics are the chemical weapons that one organism like the Penicillium r. mold uses to kill pathogenic bacteria and not our cells. Sending one bacteria to kill another is part of the art of gastronomy or the preparation and preservation of fine foods. Gastronomy can thank a lot of dead people who paved the way to whey and yogurt by trial and sometimes fatal error. The path from antiseptic to antibiotics went through microbiology or the study of microbial civilization including its warfare. Humans have specific types of infections that pass from person to person but our parakeet or cat isn't at risk. We've been studying bacteria for over two centuries. That's a lot of information that began with seeing animalcules or protozoa in a drop of pond water. We have learned what kills what and harvested their chemical weapons.

Whether it's multiple antibiotics or an engineered microbe that excretes a biofilm solvent and whatever else is lethal to P.a., the problems are the same. Long before we had the technology to inject genes into bacteria, careful and imaginitive breeding, engineered everything from more productive corn to more productive microbes from which we extract antibiotics.

With the genetic tools today, the outcomes of genetic engineering holds tremendous potential for phage therapy. The two challenges of phage therapy are, resistance to consuming GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) be it blackberries or phage therapy and modeling the long term stability of a single celled bacteriophage. Of our white blood cells, we have many types of stable bacteriophages, genetic modification of this type of cell isn't what phage therapy is about. It would be a great tool in MDR bacterial eradication. I don't want to be negative about a promising technology but infecting us with one bacteria to kill a other carries the potential for evolving to feed on us when stocks of P.a. run out.

This is why doctors don't have a lot of enthusiasm for intentional infliction of a live bacteria in us. We are closing in on the intricate biochemistry of bacteria. In fact the complete genomes of several bacteria have been translated into the functions and processes at the molecular level. We are gods of the bacteria, in terms of the compendium of knowledge and our deep understanding of how bugs work.

Every tool in fighting MDR infections should be considered and reconsidered.

LL

Imogene

Administrator
LL: Thanks for the explanation. I read it a few times, but still I know I am science challenged!
I think in a previous discussion, you did tell me about the importance of biofilms.
I believe you said something like after the drugs that change the CFTR (like Vertex/ Kalydeco) do their job, CFers may still be left with PA and other infections.
That's where biofilms are needed.

So I contacted a company we previously had some information about..LouLou will remember this!
Innovotech in Canada.
They had been working on biofilms.
Their current General Manager did write back and apparently they changed their focus:

Hello Jeanne,
Thanks for your email. Over the past few years one of our main focus had been around the biofilm susceptibility line of products especially bioFILM PA kit. This year our company's focus, strategically speaking, is totally focused on our new antimicrobial silver. The biofilm susceptibility tests have not resulted in significant revenue for the company and are not likely to in the near future, for a variety of reasons such as lack of marketing resources or a strong marketing partner, cost of regulatory compliance, difficulty in getting approval for payment or need to educate the relevant service providers. That's why we decide to put bioFILM PA on hold for now. The trial of bioFILM PA™ led by the Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto was completed in December 31, 2013. The completed report date is expected to be by the end of Q3 2014.

CFParent2

LL: Thanks for the explanation. I read it a few times, but still I know I am science challenged!
I think in a previous discussion, you did tell me about the importance of biofilms.
I believe you said something like after the drugs that change the CFTR (like Vertex/ Kalydeco) do their job, CFers may still be left with PA and other infections.
That's where biofilms are needed.

I am no expert either. But unless the colonization and damage was already severe, I would think the same mechanisms that stop non-CF people from being colonized would fight off PA or MRSA when the CFTR function had been returned to normal operation. So anyone corrected early enough would not run the risk of even having those infections.

If the colonization and damage were severe, possibly a one time treatment would be required to do a clean-out or even maintenance if there were pockets of damage where stuff collects.

LKBamberg

Hello all!

I'm happy to report that I am currently on phage therapy, and WOW I couldn't have imagined better results. I'm getting my PFT's chekced in a few days to see if my lung function goes up; even if it doesn't, I gotta say, I'm quite happy with the amazing increase in my energy and quality of life.

I'm taking phages for MRSA and pseudomonas. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions. This is the culmination of 6 months of research.

RayRDT

I would really like to speak to you. Which country are you from, maybe I could call you ? I'm seriously looking into this but just started my research ...

RDT.

LKBamberg

Ray--

My research includes direct communcation with a clinic in Georgia, reading countless scientific papers (my background is in biochemistry and biology), speaking with a researcher in Washington who is doing work with phages on an academic level, and a physician treating patients with it :)

Lots of work. And it shall be yours! Email me at lief.kaiser@gmail.com, or my number is 503.732.0342.

I live in Portland, Oregon, US.