Rheumatoid Arthritis

marisalynn

I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has Rheumatoid Arthritis in addition to CF. I was having some joint pain a while back, went to a Rheumatologist, who did some lab work, diagnosed it as Palindromic Rheumatism, but said that based on my lab work, I will develop RA. I was started on Colchicine, which seems to help the joint pain for the most part.
Long story short, I have been having a lot of increased chest congestion the past month, and I have read that RA can have an effect on the lungs. My FEV1 is 90%, which is the best it's been in a year, so that's not the cause. I see the Rheumatologist in a couple of weeks, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with CF and RA. Thanks!

Marisa, 26 w/CF

iefisherman

just had a bad bout of ankle pain that was awful. Landed me in the ER. Blood tests showed high uric acid in my blood so my primary care is treating me for gout until i get into the rheumatologist next month. Very painful, keep us posted on what you find out.

Epona

Rheumatoid arthritis, like all autoimmune diseases, is caused by leaky gut syndrome, or increased intestinal permeability. Given that studies have shown almost all CFers have some degree of increased intestinal permeability, we are at a higher risk for autoimmune diseases like RA, celiac's, etc. The solution is to heal the gut lining with the GAPS diet, developed by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. I have much more info on this protocol and how to deal with autoimmunity and CF with nutritional and natural health care on my website: www.cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com

The fundamental cause of leaky gut syndrome is poor diet, though it is exacerbated by frequent use of antibiotics and other pharmaceuticals. Antibiotics cause an imbalance in the gut flora (called dysbiosis) so the target of any dietary change and supplementation regime is to rebalance the gut flora. Your RA symptoms can be greatly reduced or eliminated with the GAPS (anti-autoimmune) diet. There are many stories of RA symptoms disappearing on the GAPS diet, or even the Palo diet (which is less strict).

I hope this helps. Be well.

J

Juniper

Hi Marisa I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis nearly two years ago. I'm on steroids and methotrexate I have suffered many flare ups and don't seem to have a day I don't wake up in pain or with swollen joints My consultant keeps increasing my methotrexate dose saying this will work but then when my chest flares up as it seems to do more recently now I can't take methotrexate whilst on ivs so it's a vicious circle. The methotrexate suppresses the immune system so I think that's why I need ivs more regularly. It's no fun hope you get sorted out x

Epona

Hello Juniper. I am sorry for your pains. Please PLEASE go online right now to www.theglutensummit.com and listen to the lecture by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. She clearly outlines how autoimmunity develops, how RA develops, and how it can be cured with cleaning up your diet and correcting your leaky gut. It is so unfortunate that most modern docs have not educated themselves with the latest research on autoimmunity and its connection to the gut, so all they can offer patients are steroids and other pharmaceuticals to mask the symptoms. But you can address the root cause of the issue and remove the symptoms completely naturally by healing the gut. Please go listen to this free online summit and educate yourself - we need to spread this information!!!!!

Be well.

J

Juniper

Thanks epona will definitely check that out I do feel the meds aren't getting me anywhere

Katie615

I had the same thing for years as a teenager, but when I came to UCSF my doctor prescribed colchicine (now colcrys) for me and now I only sometimes get joint pain (it's was my shoulders and hips, so really when it used to happen I couldn't move at all, I would end up in the ER pumped full of morphine) when it is really rainy or cold. Colchis worked like a miracle for me - an absolute miracle ?

Hi! Sorry you're having so much trouble. I have what is termed "CF Arthropathy," which is essentially, RA without the degeneration. It just hurts in every joint in my body sometimes. I take Neurontin (generic name: Gabapentin), which is used for arthritis in an off-label kind of way. I've found it reduces the screaming pain to a dull roar. Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you!

Me again! I remembered two other things that help: 1) swimming pools. The pressure from the water can help. 2) compression gloves and socks. VERY useful. Good luck!

RobinB29

Celiac

When I had wicked joint pain they thought it was CF related arthritis and then I got an upper endoscopy and they figured out it was Celiacs. I would get checked just in case. After I went GF my joint pain practically went away, it just crops up when I'm sick or if I'm on IVS I seem to have reactions to all kinds of food proteins. I think everyone with CF should be checked for Celiacs frankly.