Polyps and Sinus Atomizer or Sinus Irrigation?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Ugh. I am so confused. My 9 year old had his third surgery to remove polyps two weeks ago. The ENT has put in a propel implant in each sinus to try to hold the polyps from coming back so quickly. They are like little cages that have a steroid in them. They dissolve after 6-8 weeks. At first he suggested nasal rinses, but after the cultures cam back with several ugly bugs, he wants to try a topical delivery system for TOBI by a machine called a NasaTouch. It's a sinus atomizer , also called a portable powered nasal irrigator. The meds are compounded by a pharmacy out of California, the only place I can find it. The distributor of the machine is sinutopic inc. the website for the machine is supposed to be sinusscience.com, but there is really nothing there either. This machine is supposed to deliver the meds to all the sinuses topically. It's not really a rinse. I am absolutely skeptical and concerned. Has anyone tried this? And with TOBI ? Has anyone taken TOBI into their nasal cavity in any form - like through sinus irrigation, or through a SINUS Nebulizer rather than one meant for inhalation into the lungs?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of people doing both abx sinus rinses as well as a sinus nebulizer Sinustar is one brand. Haven't heard of this though

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Have you tried searching on pubmed.com? I searched for topical and sinus and got some hits. Maybe some of the other key words? I'm always reassured when I read the abstract of the medical literature on something. Hang in there

kosdancer

That's probably worth doing; I did tobramycin rinses for years. However, my ENT just told me that research has shown tat the most effective treatment is saline nasal rinses.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hi kosdancer. Do you have any idea if your ENT is referring to particular studies showing saline rinses are more effective than antibiotic rinses? Thank you!

athletixbc

I've never used Tobi for my sinuses, but I have added Gentamycin to my sinus rinse bottle. It's a similar drug to Tobi, but slightly less irritating. Never heard of sinus atomizer before.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I just posted this in another threat too - but thought it would be useful here:

Aha! Interesting article about to be published in the Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. It appears they have documented a correlation between lung pathogens and those found in the sinuses. And have experimented with methods to eliminate them centered on topical administration of sinus antibiotics as well as oral treatment for the lungs. I'm not sure how I get a copy of the articles full text though, since you apparently have to have a subscription - which costs $334! I will have to ask out pulmonologist or ENT. IF anyone here has access, could you share?

http://www.cysticfibrosisjournal.com/article/S1569-1993(14)00072-1/abstract

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I'll check later today to see if I have access. You might just try calling your local public library and ask them to get a copy of it via interlibrary loan. They should be able to and for free.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Thank you so much! That was definitely a "duh" moment for me - I didnt consider contacting the library. I figure I won't be able to access through the library until actual publication, even though the full text copy is available online. I feel a little pressed for time to get it, since the steroids were too much for my little guy even with the topical application thru the NasaTouch. He was swallowing and breathing too deeply rather than just letting it bathe his sinuses. I think the machine better controlled by adults rather than children. So the doc pulled him off both the steroid AND the antibiotic he was atomizing. Not just the steroid. I'm a bit concerned that he probably should remain on the sinus antibiotic and I don't want to lose ground. You are appreciated AboveAll.