Transitioning from Masks to Mouthpiece

rosesixtyfive

We are having a difficult time transitioning from the mask to a mouth piece where Sam actually has to bite down and breathe in through his mouth. Anyone have advice on helping the transition. Sam says he gets saline in his mouth using the mouthpiece.
Thanks,
rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, ddf508, 4 years old

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
our son just tirned five and they havent mentioned transitioning...i like masks because gets to sinus too. another poster i seem to recall said that her clinic in holland maybe has son ise masks for that reason...i say all this so that you dont feel preassure to tranistion too quickly... maybe with xopenex butnot hyper sal until hes older... also i sent you a pm on simething else... hugs and prayers
Love

jshet

My son is 17 with other special needs besides cf, and still uses a mask. His doc. said he can do it forever, it is fine to use it. Plus it leaves his hands free to play, so in our situation, it is the better choice.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS is 11 and still uses a mask, as do several other children his age in our area. As mentioned before -- hands free gaming, medicine into his sinuses... I have had him use the mouthpiece when he's coming down with a cough or cold to make sure he gets some deep breaths in with his pulmozyme. First time he used pulmozyme though I was amazed that his nose ran -- something that never ever occurred until that time at age 3 as his nasal mucus is so thick.

D

Dhobs

We transitioned our daughter at around 4 years old because she said the mask was really uncomfortable. One of us would sit there through the whole session and coach her breathing until she got it down. We still remind her to take deep breaths but she does fine with the mouthpiece now and she bites on it just enough to not have to hold it while she plays video games.

Gnome

My son didn't transition from mask to mouthpiece until he was 7/8 years old. We were told at the time that the mouthpiece does absorb more medicine and at age 7 the transition was easy. We weren't having any serious health issues with CF where optimum medicine intake was essential.