suctioning 4 month old

Alessababy

My 4 month old baby has been congested for almost a month now with mild retraction. She was admitted for a couple weeks due to psuedemonas. Which she no longer has according to the last culture she had. But she's just congested very bad. We got sent to ENT and they found nothing. While she was In the hospital they used the wall suction but no mucus would come out. Now we're back at home and more mucus is coming out but the bulb suction isn't effective. Mucus rarely comes out and you can still hear she has more. Anyone have any ideas or tip to help take out mucus?!

Beccamom

Do you do Manuel chest PT? If the chest PT is not working I would call your CF clinic and ask if you can come see the physical therapist or respiratory therapist that teaches the chest PT. I improved after a couple of trainings and we get a refresher training beforenwe go on vacation without the vest. Later my daughter got her mucus clearance vest. Also have you tried the saline nose spray to make the nose mucus thin enough to suck out with a bulb? The pharmacist can help you find age appropriate nose saline.

lovemyboy507

Hi we used the nosefrida snot sucker (you can buy them and the filters on amazon) we made sure we washed everything very carefully after each use (I had about 10 in the end!) and used that with a squirt of saline wait a couple of minutes then suck the mucus out. I can't say my son liked this but it really made a difference we still use this when he is really congested now- hope that helps.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We increased chest physiotherapy. I'd also give ds a bath morning and evening. Use the steam from the bathtub to loosen things up, as well as saline spray. Then I'd suction after a few minutes. DS' nose never ran and it wasn't until he was a toddler and able to do saline rinses that he was able to clear our that thick sticky mucus.

MGrossan

Often the bulb is difficult to use. A thin plastic tube with a syringe suction works more effectively. One such commercial device is called Nosel Freda but any plastic tubing with a syringe or oral suction works. Using a spray such as Simply Saline to thin the mucus is also helpful: must avoid saline that has preservatives.

Sunshineblue

My 4 month old baby has been congested for almost a month now with mild retraction. She was admitted for a couple weeks due to psuedemonas. Which she no longer has according to the last culture she had. But she's just congested very bad. We got sent to ENT and they found nothing. While she was In the hospital they used the wall suction but no mucus would come out. Now we're back at home and more mucus is coming out but the bulb suction isn't effective. Mucus rarely comes out and you can still hear she has more. Anyone have any ideas or tip to help take out mucus?!

I use a battery operated snot sucker it plays music while sucking out the snot got it at Walgreens