patients are denied Kalydeco and sue

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
No, the State officials were sued for denying coverage ON LABEL to Medicaid patients. If you read the article, it is appalling--the State officials are either completely IGNORANT or spouting B.S. The law requires coverage of on-label drugs unless an "equivalent" is available and the State is arguing there are other CF drugs that are equivalent, such as hyper-sal!!! Arkansas is the only State which made this outrageous claim. There is no equivalent (yet!) to Kalydeco. It's like telling a person with a brain tumor, "here's some prescription strength pain killer for those headaches you're getting."

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Looks like you edited to clarify...thanks. The article is very interesting and shockingly shows either the ignorance of those deciding life and death decisions, OR the purposeful lies the government is telling to support its life and death decisions!

CFParent2

I knew this was going to be a huge issue. The other thing to keep in mind is that Vertex in the past has invested in break through type drugs(Aids related?) only to be surpassed by other companies drugs. Vertex is just trying to get their money while they can. Kalydeco is such a great breakthrough other companies are struggling to compete. The whole free market thing. I am surprised the market is willing to bear a drug costing more than most families yearly income.

CFParent2

Just read the article. The argument about using existing treatments is poor. The argument about states not having the money seems to be more valid, although that rarely stops them from overspending in other areas. If all the states stood together to lower the price would Vertex drop the price? I am guessing they would, but maybe that would stop Vertex from being able to continue research and find a cure for everyone. Extremely torn about this one.