When do your CF doctors glove up?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
So at our son's last CF appointment, the doctor (and entire team) came in the room gowned and gloved up per the new CFF guidelines. The gloving up outside the room kinda seems strange since they are then touching the door handle to get in. Do your CF doctors glove up before entering the room?

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I will have to pay better attention next time. I know at least some of the members glove up in the room, but I don't know for certain that they all do. I'm pretty certain the Dr and RT do, but not sure about the dietician, social worker or nurse.

Oboe

Gloves when they enter the room at any time, but doctors only gown up when they come to listen to my lungs. Like, if they come in and stand near the door and ask questions they don't tend to gown up. Nurses do both always.

Edit: I just realized this was for appointments, not hospitalizations. No, I haven't seen a gown in an office setting. Gloves, though.

Printer

Gown up before coming into the room. In the room, on the wall, are three boxes of gloves, small, medium and large. Purell first then apply gloves and Purell after removing gloves. Gown is removed outside of the room. This is required for everyone who enters the room, not just Doctor's and Nurses. Boston Children's Hospital & Brigham and Woman's Hospital.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
At the clinic, hand sanitizer entering and leaving the room. When ds was last in the hospital 5 years ago, same thing unless the individual was culturing something severe or had influenza.

When ds was in the NICU, my MIL, who'd been on a TB floor in CO 30 plus years ago (where gowns, gloves and masks were required) remarked on how the RTs, while would use hand sanitizer, would go from went from bed to bed, not gowned up, not gloved up and would hold the infants up to their chests to administer cpt and nebs. It's no wonder ds came home from the NICU with a horrible cough and culturing a bug common to nicus.

Michael Allison

So at our son's last CF appointment, the doctor (and entire team) came in the room gowned and gloved up per the new CFF guidelines. The gloving up outside the room kinda seems strange since they are then touching the door handle to get in. Do your CF doctors glove up before entering the room?
It's a good thing. The CFF requires it. Many larger CF clinics with a lot of "other" traffic outside the clinic in the hospital have been doing it for over a year now. Smaller clinics with less traffic may have just started doing it recently. Infectious disease control is a good thing. I have to wear my mask into the hospital until I leave (except in my room).

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks all. My concern though is the gloving up before entering the room since they are then touching stuff outside...at a minimum the door knob!