High Calorie weight gain snack

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Always looking for healthy and not so healthy snacks to boost calories. Daughter is not big into sweets and lately prefers plain raw veggies for snacks(while healthy does not provide any significant calories). Found a new healthy snack; dried chick peas(come in different salty flavors) They have fiber and protein. She likes these. Also bought tiny 4 ounce Ben and Jerry ice cream cups. Just one has about 270 calories and 16 grams of fat. Daughter ate a whole one last night; really liked it. They are the perfect size(I find if portion size is too big, she ends up with a belly ache and won't want that item again) Will have to go buy more and hide them from myself. We are back on whole milk for calories.too Try to get 2-3 cups into her a day.

slugo21

I do alot of crossfit and I need extra cals to keep up. I made a homemade shake that has 3k cals in every 16oz. (2 cups). That's pretty good. I gained 8 pounds in 1 month.

MissAlexsBP

Hi @Rebjane!

Have you ever used ScandiCal? It is one of the weight gain supplements that I really like. It is a tasteless powder; 1 tblsp is 35 calories. I tend to add it to my coffee, soups, salads, etc. You should be able to get a prescription for it if you would like to try it.

I also have chocolate Instant Breakfast with 20 oz whole milk in the morning (along with my other breakfasts!)

Also, I do not know how old your daughter is, but I have been on a couple of appetite stimulants and those have had remarkable effects on my weight gain!

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS really isn't into sweets either. He likes nuts --- dry roasted peanuts, sunflower kernels, almonds; however, due to digestive/past obstructions we limit his intake to a couple times a day. Otherwise he could eat a whole jar of peanuts and not feel so great the next day.

He's discovered Whisps ---Parmesan cheese crisps. He also likes bacon jerky and Costco also has individual packages of beef jerky that are about 100 calories a pack. While he isn't a fan of sweets, I did get some little Debbie fruit pies, which he'll snack on after school -- they're usually next to the twinkies. :) And while he'd often times rather snack on carrot sticks during dinner, I'll also slice up some aged cheddar or other cheese and set it by his plat, or whole milk yogurt cups.

He still gets his carnation instant breakfast with meals at home made with whole milk and an ounce of cream.

Jadegreen9404

My son receives Pediasure 1.5 for supplemental gtube feedings each month. We have shyed away from using his tube since he is drinking them and not having tummy problems. (He was having issues when we did tube feedings. He got to where he would not eat during the day if he had a feeding during the night.)

So, now I give him a cold Pediasure and mix in a chocolate carnation instant breakfast. Big time calories. I give it to him for his drink at breakfast and lunch and dinner (if he will let me). Otherwise its always whole milk, never juice.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
It's tricky finding things she likes. She a teenager now getting conflicting advise from friends(who ONLY want to lose weight or be skinny). We were talking the other day about how many calories she thinks she needs to eat a day. It was so interesting what she thought. I told her she needs 50-100% more calories than a person without CF. I think that might of sunk in. I think I might have to have our nutritionist give her an approximate # to eat per day. My daughter through out the # 1100 calories and I was shocked! We googled for her size and weight 1800 being more accurate. But I suggested rounding that up to 3000 a day. (I am just guessing) Anyhow, always looking for ideas. She does not like chocolate milk but will drink whole milk with a little cream in it. She will eat protein bars. She loves fish. Loves Salmon, which is very fatty. Also loves steak. Homemade bread with soup. She is a good eater but definately likes to be healthy and avoids most cakes, cookies and junk. (which can be easy fatty , foods) Also, sometimes extended family comments on what foods they eat , etc sort of making her think she should be eating salad and twigs. She looks so good; maybe they forget she has terrible absorption and GI issues.

scottj

I do alot of crossfit and I need extra cals to keep up. I made a homemade shake that has 3k cals in every 16oz. (2 cups). That's pretty good. I gained 8 pounds in 1 month.

What do you put in them? Right now I have about a 1000 calorie shake, but would love a higher calorie option. Also, how many grams of sugar and carbs does it contain? I also have CFRD, so I can't just pack them on for the sake of the calories like I used to.

hellen

Cereal, bananas, yogurt or sandwick is all good bossters. Cereal is a great tasting high calorie snack that you can take and eat almost anywhere; just remember to also pack some fruit and nuts. A 50 gram serving will give you about 185 calories. Some cereals can be full of added sugar and don’t offer much in the way of nutritional value, so instead you should go for a healthy cereal option like Special K.
Banana - This fruit is a good source of potassium, quick calories, and fiber. You can find bananas almost anywhere in the world, and at anytime. Have a couple bananas when you can’t get to a full meal.
Not only is yogurt full of protein; it’s a very valuable snack because of the active cultures (good bacteria) it contains. These cultures have been known to improve your digestive system and support a healthy immune system. When you’re shopping for yogurt be sure to read the label and only buy brands that contain “live and active cultures”. A suggestion is to add fruit and nuts to the yogurt as desired for even more calories.
And it’s true you can make a sandwich out of anything: tuna, deli meat, peanut butter, eggs, etc, which you can eat any time of the day! Another idea is to use wraps (like a tortilla) and spread out some salad greens, cheese, and meat and roll it up.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I just discovered Nutella a few months ago. It's loaded with Calories! It goes well with several foods. My favorite is dipping pretzels in it. You can also try crackers and fruit (strawberries!) If you make any recipes with chocolate use the Nutella instead.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I just discovered Nutella a few months ago. It's loaded with Calories! It goes well with several foods. My favorite is dipping pretzels in it. You can also try crackers and fruit (strawberries!) If you make any recipes with chocolate use the Nutella instead.

Have you tried Cookie Butter or Kerfluffle? Cookie butter was originally only available at Trader Joes, but I've found Bischoff brand at Target made from ground up cookies, which I put on graham crackers or nilla wafers for DS. Kefluffle is peanut butter made in small batches in Oregon and I've found it on Direct Eats dot come. They have peanut butter marshmallow and a smore version with chocolate. Soooo yummy.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Have you tried Cookie Butter or Kerfluffle? Cookie butter was originally only available at Trader Joes, but I've found Bischoff brand at Target made from ground up cookies, which I put on graham crackers or nilla wafers for DS. Kefluffle is peanut butter made in small batches in Oregon and I've found it on Direct Eats dot come. They have peanut butter marshmallow and a smore version with chocolate. Soooo yummy.

I will have to look for those! I'm near target a lot. I'll stop in next time and try to find it! Sounds like something I might like :) Thanks for the suggestion.

stylecomfy

Just bumping up this thread, same as I've done for some other recent threads with a similar topic - there is currently a 'recipe contest' on the cysticfibrosis.com/blog page (May 2017). We'll be giving away some gift vouchers for submissions of CF appropriate recipes in a whole range of categories to choose from. PS it doesn't need to be full blown fancy recipes, if you have a simple dish or snack incorporating ingredients suggested in this thread, send a photo and instructions on how to assemble it via the address on the blog. Full details on how to enter is in the blog here http://cysticfibrosis.com/recipe-con...-50-gift-card/