Would you Recommend the Vest?

Sarah 95

Hi there, I'm 24 years old female and I would love to hear peoples opinions about the cystic fibrosis vibrating vest? Do you think they help a lot and would you recommend one? My hospital does not recommend them for us but im curious to try and see if it works for me? I just find it hard to do physio without help sometimes! looking forward to hearing your opinions, Sarah

kenna2

Some people love the Vest and it works well for them. For others , like me, I don't feel it does enough or gets to the areas I feel are clogged. I would recommend getting a Vibralung. It's quicker, a lot easier to use, you can do meds with it running, and it's able to work your airways from the large down to the tiny ones where the Vest can't reach. I feel I get a lot more out than I ever did with my years of doing the Vest.

Krysm3

Hi! So I got a vest last year at the urging of my cf center doctor and didn’t find much relief from it. In fact, my husband performing manual cpt works better than the vest for me. I also got a Vibralung last year and I LOVE it!!!! I did not like it the first week haha but it works so much better than the best for me also. If you get one, just make sure you have a proper nebulizer. Also interesting enough- I read an article from cf today website that said the vest didn’t actually improve lung function, so it could be a total waste of time, money, space. Definitely look into Vibralung!

MissAlexsBP

Hello!

Sorry for the delayed response!

I have a Hill-Room vest model 105 and love it! Initially when I was younger (I'm in my 30's now) I was not super compliant with it because it was 'just one more thing to do', but as I got older and my doctors encouraged me to give it a try I started to notice the benefits. I've never been a very productive cougher, but even with that being said, I have noticed a difference when I do the vest consistently. I try to do it at least 2x a day while doing nebs, but if I'm feeling particularly crummy/chest tightness I will try to do it more than that.
I'll also add that in my experience Hill-Rom's customer service has been second to none! :)

Good luck!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My teen has had the vest since he was three years old. Prior to that we did manual cpt. He does his vest 3 times a day, more if he's sick. He plays video games, watches tv, plays on his laptop....

My son (20 yrs) loves his vest. He uses it for airway clearance and when he’s not feeling well runs it at lower levels for a massage like feeling too.

AnAnGeL

Hi there, I'm 24 years old female and I would love to hear peoples opinions about the cystic fibrosis vibrating vest? Do you think they help a lot and would you recommend one? My hospital does not recommend them for us but im curious to try and see if it works for me? I just find it hard to do physio without help sometimes! looking forward to hearing your opinions, Sarah
I liked the vest when I used it for a few months before transplant.

Mkos1980

I got the vest at age 16 which was almost 24 years ago. Used it here and there the first few years. Otherwise it has sat in my parents closet at home for prob the last 20 years. I got usually nothing out from it and have used autogenic drainage therapy since then.