Allergies with low IGE

Beccamom

My scratch are positive for a large number of allergies, but my bloodwork shows my IGE level is very low. My daughter has the same allergy and blood test results. My sinus CT scan shows lots of mucus from allergies too.

So does anyone else have this? I have been reading about non-iGE mediated allergies and that they are treated with mast cell stabilizers such as Zyrtec and Chromolyn Sodium. I found Nasalcrom nose sprey over the counter with Chromolyn Sodium as the active ingredient. I tried the Nasalcrom nose spray and Zyrtec and they seem to be working. I am not a medical person, so if anyone has experience with these medicines or positive allergy skin tests and low IGE bloodwork please share what you know.

emilymainzer

IgE test is often performed as part of an initial screen for allergies. Symptoms of allergies may include hives, itchy eyes or nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, tight throat, and trouble breathing. A RAST test (short for radioallergosorbent test) is a blood test used to determine to what substances a person is allergic

Melissa75

Administrator
Beccamom,

I had fairly low IGE numbers and nice big welts for dust, some molds and cats. (Dogs showed up only when they used a specific formulation "superdog" haha, at National Jewish Repiratory Hospital.)

Since having allergy shots for four years, my IGE is even lower, I believe. And I am much better--can clean a dusty closet and pet a cat with almost no eye and nose reaction. Lungs are a different story...reactive still to irritants and allergens. Moldy, dusty, smokey places--I wheeze and tighten up quite a bit still. There are definitely different reactions.

I take singulair (deals with the leukotriene reaction) and symbicort. I tried sodium cromolyn but didn't like it. I tolerate HTS well, but SC made me itchy-cough. Honestly though, I didn't try it for very long.

Good luck figuring this all out.

Oh, and I'm old school and avoid traditional allergy meds because of the ol' bronchiectasis warning of "don't dry yourself out." Clearance is #1. BUT there is research to suggest otherwise.

See NoExcuses' blog for interesting allergy research ("Saveferris" here)
http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/search/label/Allergies

ymikhale

I don't have a suggestion, but my dd's case is even tougher. Theu do not know what she is allergic to, her IGe is low, scratch test all negative. Go figure.

Beccamom

I don't have a suggestion, but my dd's case is even tougher. Theu do not knowwhat she is allergic to, her IGe is low, scratch test all negative. Go figure.

why do they think she has allergies? Does she have a stuffy nose and is her mucus clear?

knowitall

Banned
It should be treated anyway regardless of IgE. There are a lot of papers written by UNC and and Standford, which as you probably know somewhat authorities in CF. They've noted when allergies, aspergillus, or yeast are treated regardless of IgE serum levels, there is noted improvement in BMI and lung function most respectively small airways.

Beccamom

It should be treated anyway regardless of IgE. There are a lot of papers written by UNC and and Standford, which as you probably know somewhat authorities in CF. They've noted when allergies, aspergillus, or yeast are treated regardless of IgE serum levels, there is noted improvement in BMI and lung function most respectively small airways.

how should they be treated? I tried allergy shots for 5 years with 2 different allergists. I have tried all the nose sprays and pills the allergist recommended. I do sinus rinses.

Could you point toward any of the papers from unc or Stanford. I would like to learn more.

i hate steroids as most people probably do.

Doublestemcell

Double Stemcell For All Type Of Allergies
Healthy stem cells are transplanted to the affected areas of the body—in this case, the immune system. Once there, they receive messages from the cells around them and begin to take on the function of those cells. They literally become immune system cells. They are designed to heal and rebuild, and they strengthen the immune system through regeneration.
For More Visit
Phytoscience