Rights at work regarding cigarette smoke exposure

Beccamom

With my job I go to people's houses to work with small children. I recently started in a home where they definitely smoke inside. I also smelled pot on one visit from another apartment, not the home I was in. I am going to ask my boss to be reassigned to a different home.

Does anyone know if an employer, in my case a hospital system, can require a person to be exposed to smoke? I can get a letter from my CF doctor, but I am I curious if anyone knows what my rights are in the U.S.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Assuming your employer has more than 15 employers, federally they must reasonably accommodate you cf. it would seem entirely reasonable to accommodate by assigning only non smoking homes, unless there aren't enough homes or employees. Most employers don't want to risk it and will bend over backwards. I'd check the hr materials on line. Print them off and ask to discuss with boss along lies of an issue has arisen and I need your help to find a solution.i found this information to help us...blah blah blah

Beccamom

Thank for the advice my boss agreed to reassign me. We have 71 employees. I didn't have to tell her about my CF at least not yet.

Assuming your employer has more than 15 employers, federally they must reasonably accommodate you cf. it would seem entirely reasonable to accommodate by assigning only non smoking homes, unless there aren't enough homes or employees. Most employers don't want to risk it and will bend over backwards. I'd check the hr materials on line. Print them off and ask to discuss with boss along lies of an issue has arisen and I need your help to find a solution.i found this information to help us...blah blah blah