does anyone take oil of oregano every day

regina65

I have been told by the guy at the health food store not to take oil of oregano all the time , but I don't think he quite understands my circumstances. Does anybody take it full time. It helps with the inflammation a lot and my sinuses.

Simba15

I have been told by the guy at the health food store not to take oil of oregano all the time , but I don't think he quite understands my circumstances. Does anybody take it full time. It helps with the inflammation a lot and my sinuses.

I do and it works! It keeps virus's away. I don't take it daily. I take it if I am around kids, sick people or feel sick.

Tisha

I often smear it on my footsoles. How do you use oregano oil?
Lavender helped my pseudomonas become sensitive to antibiotics again!

Simba15

I often smear it on my footsoles. How do you use oregano oil?
Lavender helped my pseudomonas become sensitive to antibiotics again!

You can buy oil of oregano pills at the health food store. They come in a capsule with the oil inside.

S

Shelly43

I would love to hear about this also.. How did lavender help? We just went through a year without anitbiotics to help with my sons anitbiotic resistance and I have to say lung damage was on my mind everyday...I would love to hear more about this.

ehtansky21

I have been loitering in a number of essential oil forums:) The rule of thumb, is use it for a maximum of 10 days in a row. Then take a break, maybe a week or so and start up again.

blessings,
missa

knowitall

Banned
It is not recommended to take long term I believe there are some liver and possibly kidney implications along with it not working anymore. It should be cycled and treated like other antibiotics. Take a GOOD brand 2 months tops. Stop a month.. cycle it. Gaia Herbs is an OUTSTANDING brand. Bar none. Awesome.

Epona

An herbalist will not usually recommend taking oregano oil or any essential oil internally (orally) because it is extremely anti-microbial. It is so anti-microbial that it will kill a significant amount of your good bacteria in your guts that you need to digest, maintain your immune system, reduce intestinal permeability, etc. So if you are taking essential oils internally, make sure to take probiotics with it too, just like you would or a pharmaceutical antibiotic. The thing about essential oils is that if taken for long enough or at high enough doses they can become very irritating to the digestive tract (they are literally solvents that destroy lipid-based cell-membranes, and they don't differentiate between your cells and pathogenic cells) and when they are flushed out through the kidneys, they can damage kidney cells if in high enough doses. However, if you take them cautiously, for a short period of time at a reasonable dose, or intermittently to allow your body to flush it out for a period of time, it may be safe. All this said, taking essential oils internally may be a lot safer than taking a course of IV antibiotics, but the difference is that when you're in the hospital they are regularly checking your kidney and liver functions, something we can't do at home when taking herbs on our own. That's another reason why getting in touch with a good herbalist is important, so you can get the doses right.

Another thing: low-molecular-weight volatile oils in herbs, like the thymol molecule in thyme, are specifically good for the lungs because they can pass from the guts into the blood and then into the lungs where they are breathed out, having an antimicrobial effect on the lungs directly. However, thymol can also have toxicity at higher doses, so it's not recommended to take it orally. Steaming with it may be safer and have a direct impact on the lungs (like an old-fashioned nebulizer). But steaming with other low-molecular-weight essential oils like eucalyptus and tea tree oil is considered safer than with thyme oil. I just bought some eucalyptus oil yesterday and will test it out on myself by steaming it. Also, taking herbs in their whole form (and not just the extracted volatile oil) is much safer and does not have the same problems with toxicity. Taking a thyme or eucalyptus tincture, for example, might be just as helpful, and you might be able to take that for a longer period of time.

Oh, and there is essentially no risk of antibiotic resistance with essential oils (or any whole herbs for that matter) because they are too complex for bacteria/pathogens to figure out a way around them. I saw a comment somewhere in this thread about that, so I just wanted to allay that fear. I believe the reason we would rotate herbs is not to reduce the risk of antibiotic resistance, but instead to let the body cleanse the compounds that could build up in the body and become potentially toxic at higher doses.

That's my two-cents. Gawd do I love herbalism school!