Recent content by AH11201

1. A

Los Angeles GI Doc

Hello! Wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a GI doc in Los Angeles. I'm at the USC CF center, but from what I've seen I don't know if I have a lot of confidence in their GI department. UCLA looks more promising, but I don't know whom specifically to look into. Any...
  2. A

Getting fat on Orkambi

Actually, I did experience something similar. My CF problems are almost all digestive, but I've never had a problem gaining weight. When my digestion is off for whatever reason, I do notice I gain a few pounds, especially around my stomach. When everything is working smoothly and I'm eating...
  3. A

Orkambi drug interactions that were not listed

I started having very uncomfortable GI reactions, but the opposite of what other people were reporting: bloating, constipation, etc., not loose stools. I just stopped it on Monday to see if the symptoms resolve.
  4. A

For people taking Orkambi

Warning to the faint of heart...I'm gonna talk about poop. Has anyone else had constipation while on Orkambi? A bout of constipation isn't uncommon for me, but I'm wondering if it has to do with the drug since the timing is so spot on. The only think I can think is that maybe the Orkambi is...
  5. A

I'm on day 8 now, and thankfully things have gotten way better. The only side effect I have now is fatigue, but it comes and goes and I've still been able to get to the gym a bit. I've always been extremely lucky with my CF and it's never been too bad, so if the side effects dissipated so...
  6. A

Wow, that's really interesting. I haven't been able to get my period naturally for five years (since I was in high school), and I just heard at the CFRI conference that CFTR can affect the hypothalamus, which is essentially your brain's control center for hormones. There are of course other...
  7. A

I'm on day 2 of Orkambi and yesterday, about 3-3.5 hours after taking the first dose, I had a strange feeling almost like an allergic reaction. My throat got tighter, I got hot and started sweating in an air conditioned movie theater, and I had a hard time taking deep breaths. It passed a little...
  8. A

Ongoing War: Iced Coffee vs. Enzymes

This isn't talked about very widely, but you may have low stomach acid that could be affecting your digestion. I've found recently that taking HCl (hydrochloric acid) supplements with Pepsin can help a lot, as can having a little bit of apple cider vinegar in water before a meal (which can help...
  9. A

Inflammation

Have you tried adjusting your to diet to be more anti-inflammatory? Even if you don't have digestive problems, if what you're eating is causing inflammation, that can manifest anywhere in your body. There's a lot of information online about anti-inflammatory diets. If you eat refined foods, cut...
  10. A

stomach aches

If you're looking for a substitute for dairy products, try coconut oil / milk / butter. Especially the butter—it's very creamy and completely addictive. I would recommend cutting out gluten first though (and cutting down on processed stuff in general), because that's more likely to be the...
  11. A

stomach aches

I used to have bad stomach pains, but thankfully they're rare now. I agree with the suggestion to try probiotics (and different brands if one doesn't work, because each one has different strains) and especially to try diet modification. Try cutting out processed foods and gluten (including...
  12. A

New blog post!

Hi everyone! Last month I started a blog, Sardines on the Subway, about my experience using a Paleo diet to deal with my CF. My latest post is about mindset and how you can mentally prepare for any health-related changes you want to make. I could use some more eyeballs, so I'd really appreciate...
  13. A

Zantac side effects and other H2 blockers?

I would check out Chris Kresser and his info on GERD and other GI problems. You can start here: http://chriskresser.com/the-hidden-causes-of-heartburn-and-gerd. Hope that helps a bit!
  14. A

Check out my blog!

Hi everyone! I've launched a new blog, Sardines on the Subway, about my experience using a Paleo diet to treat my CF symptoms. I'm only a few posts in but I'd love for more people from this community to take a look: www.sardinesonthesubway.com. And leave a comment to let me know what you think...
  15. A

Check out my blog!

Hi everyone! I've launched a new blog, Sardines on the Subway, about my experience using a Paleo diet to treat my CF symptoms. I'm only a few posts in but I'd love for more people from this community to take a look: www.sardinesonthesubway.com. And leave a comment to let me know what you think...