Recent content by chris27rocker

1. C

Metaneb does anyone use this?

I'm sorry to disagree, but it is NOT the same as IPV. I had an IPV at home for years, without seeing any improvement. The metaneb is more similar to a bipap machine with occilations. I believe that it helped with my bronchiectasis.
  2. C

It's not yet available for home use, but when it is, I believe it could replace the vest. If you use it carefully, you can get a lot of benefit from it, although your cheeks, neck, and chest muscles WILL get sore at first. Because it expands your lungs, I feel like I get an immediate...
  3. C

I used it 4x/day whenever I was in the hospital, and I would drive an hour into the city to use it at the hospital as an outpatient 4x/week, it made that much difference! I worked closely with it before my transplant, and I firmly believe that I wouldn't have lived without it. If anyone would...
  4. C

Go to meals

One of my favorites is Spaghetti Casserole: spaghetti noodles, cream if mushroom soup, green pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, black olives. Bake it, top it with cheese. Delicious chicken: bake chicken breasts with a sauce of cranberry sauce, dry french onion soup mix and French dressing. Serve...
  5. C

prednisone

I'm four months out, and I'm on 5mg morning and night. (Total of 10mg per day.)
  6. C

Pulmonary MRSA a problem for CFers?

Sorry to say it, but it ruined my life. I never went to the hospital, had 100% lung function, etc until I cultured MRSA in 2005. I started going in every six months, then less, until I spent three months a year inpatient, and the rest of the time on home IVs. I got a transplant in 2013, and now...
  7. C

Need some CF friends!!!

My name is Chris (short for Christine) and I'm 24 years old. I was diagnosed at 9 months, but it should've been at birth. I got down to less than 15% FEV1, but then I had a double lung transplant almost three months ago, and God gave me my life back. I'm rocking 85%-90% now! I'd love to listen...
  8. C

does anyone do IV saline hydration while on meds?

I always found a lot of benefits to having IV hydration: mucus clearance was easier, I was able to eat more because I wasn't full of water, and my IV's seemed to last longer when I kept them open with fluids. However, as I got sicker (I recently had a transplant), I suffered with chronic...
  9. C

NG Tube Trouble

I'm in the hospital for pneumonia, waiting for transplant. I had an NG tube placed Friday, but it hurt my throat like crazy. Then early Saturday morning I gave one solid cough, and it came out. The thing was still secured in my nose, and a loop of it was sticking out my mouth. I got another one...
  10. C

Questions about PharmaNAC regarding CFRD

I've tried a lot of "stuff" - I have inhaled glutathione, eaten oil of oregano, taken curcumin, you name it - and pharmaNAC is the only thing that made me notice a real difference. I get a good response from my insulin, too, so I take it in the morning or early afternoon. That way I can monitor...
  11. C

Alternative Pain Medicine

First off, I'm sorry to hear of his/your problems. Pain has been a new challenge for me in the last couple years, and it's definitely the hardest thing I've had to deal with. That said, I have had experience with the TENS. It's good for surface pain - muscle, mild joint pain, skin deep stuff...
  12. C

Cayston making it more difficult to breathe?

I've had that problem with Cayston from the start, but I've managed the symptoms because its the only PA drug I have left. I take Xopenex or Albuterol right before my dose, and if I start swelling, take an NSAID like ibuprofen. A cold pack on my chest seems to bring occasional relief as well.
  13. C

Ibuprofen tto treat inflamation

Another consideration - I'm prone to bleeding, and I noticed a definite correlation between Ibuprofen and minor hemoptysis and nosebleeds. Just something to watch for.
  14. C

Chronic aches & pains

Marcie- HPOA stands for Hypertrophic Pulmonary Osteoarthropathy. It means that the growth factor released in my lungs to try to heal them from an exacerbation leaks out and causes extra bone to grow in my joints. (Ouch.) My CF docs hadn't seen it before, but I understand that it's pretty common...
  15. C

Chronic aches & pains

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I'm in a similar situation, although I have HPOA, which at least explains the joint pain. I've had acute kidney failure in the past, so I'm careful about NSAIDS, but I do take them. I can't speak to the stomach issues, sorry. I've had quite a bit of relief...