Recent content by TexasTapdog

1. T

Explain how my PFTs went from 111% last month to 94% today

Something to consider as you move through teen years into a young adult, different ages have different pft standards, just from my CF clinic experiences. This is only an example as I don't know what/when the current happen... I remember when I turned 18(adult, hah) I had about a 20% drop in...
  2. T

Insulin Pump Users

Hi Melissa, I have been a pump user for about 1 year, I do not vest, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I only access around my belly button or horizontally left and right as far as my sides. I know there are other options, but I'm too thin and don't want to dose into muscle as it burns too much...
  3. T

Relationships

I'm a 35y/o male with DDF508 and CFRD, so I don't have much to add on the non-cf point of view. My supportive wife has a made a blog to help share recipes and experiences of living with a CFer; plus a couple other off CF topic interests of hers. Maybe her blog could provide insight into his...
  4. T

"cfrd"

Hi Angela, I want to start by saying I don't understand your numbers(metric I suppose?), ie "weight 7st"; "sugar up to 23"; "fev... early 30's", I am from Texas maybe it was just my education, haha. With that being said take my advice with caution but have you considered an insulin pump? I...
  5. T

The " cure " Selenium

I'll go with the "this story is kinda nuts" concept and say that I have no experience in this area <-- not a docter. The story peaked my interest on what Selenium is so I looked up some info, minimal at best. Also I say don't buy another pill if it can be had in your food. With that being...
  6. T

Is Texas a good state to live in with CF, are Insurance and CF Hospitals/Centers good

I'm in the Fort Worth area, currently on United Health Care(UHC), previously BCBS. I feel the BCBS was better in the sense that referrals were not required for every Doctor except my PCP. Copay's were less overall by 20%'ish. Coverage for dependents was cheaper too. Scooter
  7. T

Can pets spread pseudomonas to owners?

This is just some simple research to say yes its possible BUT I have to say I own 2 dogs and a cat and I support animal ownership I do not post this to be against animals. I think our decisions with anything in a life with CF all depends on how much of a bubble you want to live in, I choose not...
  8. T

Germ control and shaking hands

I know your looking for ways to tell people 'back off', but I've learned that in this society it is not easy to do. Thus I've tought myself to 'seperate' my hands and uses. I shake instead of hug, when someone comes in for a hug(who isn't family so they don't know about the cf) I simply hold my...
  9. T

hemoptysis from flying?

I have not flown in years because of this issue. About 10 years ago it was explained to me that part of the lungs(I think the alveoli) do not expand and contract quickly enough to compensate for the quick pressure changes experienced from major airline flights. I was advised to fly in smaller...
  10. T

hemoptysis from flying?

I have not flown in years because of this issue. About 10 years ago it was explained to me that part of the lungs(I think the alveoli) do not expand and contract quickly enough to compensate for the quick pressure changes experienced from major airline flights. I was advised to fly in smaller...