Orkambi or Trikafta?

marius2305

Hello,
My 14-year-old son has cystic fibrosis, duble DF508 mutation.
Soon, in Romania, we will benefit from Orkambi and Trikafta medicines.
From your experience, do we need to start with Orkambi and then move on to Trikafta or it is best to start directly with Trikafta?
Are there any rules that recommend Orkambi or Trikafta?
Thank you.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My son started with Orkambi because it was the only corrector available at the time. He benefitted greatly from it in terms of growth, decreased sinus issues, not culturing the same CF bugs (infections) he'd cultured since he was a baby. He switched to Symdeco when that became available and again in a few years switched to Trikafta when that became available.

He didn't have issues with any of them. IMO if he can get Trikafta, go with that.

stephen

Super Moderator
My son started with Orkambi because it was the only corrector available at the time. He benefitted greatly from it in terms of growth, decreased sinus issues, not culturing the same CF bugs (infections) he'd cultured since he was a baby. He switched to Symdeco when that became available and again in a few years switched to Trikafta when that became available.

He didn't have issues with any of them. IMO if he can get Trikafta, go with that.
I agree!

jimcaldwell

Administrator
Trikafta is a superior product. Orkambi seemed more like a pre-release version and Trikafta is much more refined with less side effects and better efficacy.