Search results

1. B

CF Parents Survey Company

http://www.rarepatientvoice.com/sign-up/ For those of us who are cf parents or those with cf, you can sign up to take surveys and get a $10 gift card (amazon, Starbucks, or dunkin donuts), just for signing up. Looks legitimate, so I thought I would pass it on. If you put my name down, I can get...
  2. B

Just discover that my wife and I are carriers.

Congratulations on the pregnancy! It is scary. but you're actually in luck with having G551D as one of your mutations. If your child does have CF, once they're a little bit older, they will be able to take Kalydeco, which is a miracle drug. Right now, for CF, that mutations is basically akin...
  3. B

Trying to gain weight -- am I doing everything?

Marc - I suggested adding weight-lifting to add muscle mass (above), so don't ignore all the advice. :)
  4. B

Trying to gain weight -- am I doing everything?

First, a lot of appetite stimulants need to be cycled, so you are on for a while, take a couple of weeks off to get it out of your system, go back on for a while, etc. Then, there are ways to eat healthier without loading up on cookies. Roast vegetables in olive oil and drizzle some flavored...
  5. B

Enterobacter - need information please

My son has cultured it for a while. (He's 2.5.) Our clinic doesn't treat without symptoms. It is a common bacteria in digestive tracts and they think he cultures it because he vomits so often.
  6. B

Need help and ideas for my toddler - having a rough time and on 4th hospital stay

I would definitely increase CPT to 3-4 times a day. (We give our son 2 puffs if albuterol before each treatment.) Also, are you pounding hard enough when you are doing the CPT? I have always pounded really hard on my son and he has stayed mostly clear. (He will be 2 on Sunday.) I know some...
  7. B

Weight Loss & Panicking...

A couple of things: -Is she on an acid suppressor (zantec, etc.) to help make the enzyme work better? -Is she getting her Creon dose based on the fat she consumes or her weight? Once we switched our son (now 22-months-old) to enzymes based on fat consumption per meal, he started gaining a lot...
  8. B

Need Help, Once again, I wasn't ready for this

I have always had horrible sinus issues. (I'm a carrier, not someone with CF.) I had horrible polyps, deviated septum, etc. My doctor recommended surgery when I was about 15 or 16, but I was able to put it off until I was 24. I wouldn't recommend waiting as long as I did, but a couple of months...
  9. B

Bubbles: fishy mask general question

We sterilize bubbles after every use. We use the baby bottle sterilizer like we.do for the nebs and spacers. This is what our clinic told us to do so we do it.
  10. B

Health decline after becoming a mother?

Is adoption a possibility for you guys? If you want children but aren't fully committed to pregnancy, maybe it is something your partner would consider. Or surrogacy? You would still have the germ risks, of course, when your child is school age, but you would avoid any risks from the pregnancy...
  11. B

PTC124 (Ataluren)

CFF has said they didn't get the results they needed from the phase 3 trials of ataluren for cf so they are trying to figure out what to do next with it. (Higher doses, pairing it with another drug, etc.) This was discussed at the national volunteer conference earlier this month. Very...
  12. B

Protein powder and carb loading supplements

There is an adult with cf living in the UK who is in spectacular physical shape and gives great advice to others with cf. His name is Ben Smudge and you can probably search for him. I bet he would have some great advice for you. Good luck!
  13. B

Help! Sterilizing

We wash everything I'm hot soapy water and put it in the baby bottle sterilizer with distilled water. We use the event 6 bottle sterilizer but our rt said any of them is fine as long as it is not one that goes through the microwave. We used to boil but the baby bottle sterilizer really changed...
  14. B

Women & Zithro 3x a week

Have you tried adding a probiotic to your regimen? They do wonders at preventing yeast infections from zithromax
  15. B

Help! Should I just let it go?

Has she been tested for celiac disease or milk protein intolerance/allergy? Both of those things can cause the really loose stools.
  16. B

What are the chances of a mistake being made on the genetic test?

I would talk to your CF doctor about what's going on and see if s/he would refer your 4-year-old for another blood test to test for your two known mutations. I do know of at least one case where the family knew what mutations were involved, but the lab tested for the WRONG ONES. Better to make...
  17. B

Help, my 1 year old won't take her enzymes

One other thing to consider with that age. Whenever my son is getting a new tooth, it's hard for us to get him to take anything, not just enzymes. So, if it only lasts for a few days, she might be getting a new tooth and just doesn't want to open her mouth.
  18. B

Help, my 1 year old won't take her enzymes

That was about the age we switched to level 2 pears for the enzymes instead of applesauce. At 20-months-old, we're still doing the pears. And, we have refused to feed him when he's refused enzymes. We said, if you're not going to eat this, then you're getting down and you can't have your bottle...
  19. B

Need help with Non Compliant Family Members!!!

Here's the thing. You are the parent. It is your house. He is your baby. If he gets really sick and ends up on IV antibiotics, you're the one who will have to move into the hospital for somewhere between 1-3 weeks. We were in the hospital for just 3 days with a 6-month old, and it was not a fun...
  20. B

health insurance + job questions

Can you try switching to a company that offers benefits to part-timers like Starbucks or Trader Joe's? I don't know how good the benefits are, but it would be better than nothing. I know TJs also has management training and they sound like they promote from within, so if your health can handle a...