Search results

1. J

Help with Sputum Culture Results

I just got a copy of my 7 year old son's sputum culture report. His doctor is out of town, but was told they would watch it but no treatment now. My question is what does it mean? Heavy mixed respiratory flora at 3 days. Positive at 3 days. Org 1: Light Staphlococcus Aureus. Then it gives...
  2. J

mild staph

My seven year old son (diagnosed in Feb) just cultured mild staph after having symptoms with what was apparently a mucus plug. I was a little surprized that he cultured anything. He has, in the past, cultured h influenza and strep with minimal symptoms (bronchoscopy) and had 3 "pneumonias" that...
  3. J

Asthma or pneumonia???

This is all new to us in that my 7 year old son was recently diagnosed with CF (Feb of this year). I posted a few days ago about my son having pain in his lower left lung and back when doing his vest. I took him to his ped on Friday and they ran PFT's. His FVC went from 103% to 89% and his FEV...
  4. J

Pain while doing vest???

Hi, My 7 year old son, who usually enjoys doing his vest treatment (chance to watch TV) compained today and cried that it really hurts him when it inflates and then when it runs its cycle. He was diagnosed in Feb. of this year and only been doing treatments since April after 4 lung infections in...
  5. J

4th Pneumonia

Hi, My son Justin was diagnosed in Feb. He has had 4 pneumonias since Feb. 11. He is completely PI. My question is, should we expect one pneumonia after another? He has had a total of 4 since Feb. 11!!!! He was symptomatic with 1,2 and 4, and the 3rd was diagnosed with bronchoscopy. He had 2...
  6. J

Culture results - strep and H. Influenza

Hi, My recently diagnosed 7 year old had his first bronchoscopy after what we thought was two pneumonias (bacterial then 2 weeks later viral.) The CT scan showed an infiltrate which was why they thought he had pneumonia. The doctortook out a large amount of "stuff" including mucus plugs from his...
  7. J

Mucus Plug Question

My 7 year old son had his first bronchoscopy today. He had a pneumonia Feb 11 and one two weeks later. First was bacterial and second viral (we think). CT showed an "infiltrate" in the left lung. Today the only finding was mucus plg (not sure if more than one) in the left lower lung. Is this...
  8. J

Junky cough

Hi, My seven year old son was recently diagnosed with CF. He has had either junky sinus or cough sinceSeptember. Two sinus infections by Thanksgiving and then two pneumonias since February 11 (one bacterial and 1 milder viral.) Recenly he has that junky sinus stuff again and (not coughing all...
  9. J

Poly T Question

Hi, I was reading my son's results and he has a sequence change (F1052V). They did not find a second mutation, but it says Poly T: 7T and 7T. Could anyone PLEASE explain what this means? Thank you in advance.
  10. J

HELP

My 7 year old son (newly diagnosed with CF) got pneumonia almost 3 weeks ago. Didn't feel well in the evening, nausea, tummy pain and fever 103.5. Took to hospital worried about virus or pancreatitis (pancreatic insufficient) and it was pneumonia. X-ray was clear but the CT (to rule out...
  11. J

Pneumonia Question - Infiltrate in lung

Hi, My 7 year old has been going through the diagnostic process for the past year. He became pancreatic insufficent from January of last year to June of this year with fecal elastase levels going from 148 to 25. He did not have a positive sweat test. Last Friday night he complained of nausea and...
  12. J

Pancreatic Questions - Help!!

Hi, My beautiful 7 year old son is being evaluated (and currently treated for possible) atypical CF. Hehad a normal sweat test and one confirmed mutation (associated with negative sweat tests.) His plancreatic function declined quite rapidly from January to July of last year (fecal elastase...
  13. J

Any Information on F1054V

Hi, Does anyone know anything about F1054V? My son has is PI (fecal elastase >25) has been found to have this mutation. They still have not found the second (although they have found 4 polymorphisms.) I would really appreaciate any information. Thank you in advance. Justin's Mama
  14. J

Question about mutation 3154T>G

Could anyone give me any information on this mutation? My 7 year old was found to have this one but they could not identify the other. He has severe PI (fecak elastase level 25). Thank you in advance. Josette
  15. J

Nasal congestion question

<P>Hi,</P> <P> </P> <P>My 7 year old son is going through the process of being diagnosed.  He has minimal pancreatic function (fecal elastase was down to 25, stopped checking) and is on enzymes now.  One "rare" mutation was found, but we will be repeated with Ambry to look for the second.  We...
  16. J

Question about progression

<P>Hi,</P> <P> </P> <P>We are just going through the diagnostic process for my 7 year old son.  He began with pancreatic insufficiency right after turning 6.  He started with frequent loose stools (8+ a day).  In late January his Fecal Elastase number was 148, by early March it was 70 and by...