Search results

1. C

New clinic protocol recommeded by Cystic Fibrosis Canada

As of last Friday, Cystic Fibrosis Canada recommends that the medical personnel gown and glove up to meet with patients to prevent cross contamination. My clinic has applied the recommendations immediately and I am hoping that this new policy change will be reflected in how nurses handle the...
  2. C

Avoid hotels unless you want to run the risk of catching MRSA found in all hotels.

Watch this. Absolutely disgusting. http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/Marketplace/ID/2303020389/?page=3 http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/Marketplace/ID/2305885135/?page=3
  3. C

eCAPs, the next cool thing to fight antibiotic resistant infection?

Through the serendipity of science, researchers at the University of Pittsburgh have discovered a potential treatment for deadly, drug-resistant bacterial infections that uses the same approach that HIV uses to infect cells. The National Institutes of Health-supported...
  4. C

NaCl bolus may help make mucus more liquid?

When I went to hospital for influenza in December, I received two 0.9% NaCl boluses within 24 hours to lower my fever and increase my blood pressure. Boluses are where they inject you with a large amount of something to reach a desired concentration of that something in your bloodstream. In my...
  5. C

Why Long-Term Azithromycin Use Increases Infection With a Mycobacterium

Azithromycin is an antibiotic that also has antiinflammatory properties. It is these antiinflammatory properties that are thought to account for the improvement in clinical outcome observed when patients with chronic lung diseases such as cystic fibrosis are treated long-term with...
  6. C

Researchers Find Immunity Protein That Ramps Up Inflammation, and Agents That Can Blo

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130331165601.htm "The research team, led by Bill B. Chen, Ph.D., associate professor, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, conducted experiments in which mice that lacked the ability to make Fbxo3 were infected with a strain...
  7. C

Sterilization requires an autoclave or a pressure cooker

Boiling, microwaving and vaporizing nebulizers only do disinfection. These methods do not sterilize. I was looking for the most efficient way of disinfecting my nebs. I stumbled upon this thread on a biology forum. It is very interesting. There are some people who seem very knowledgeable about...
  8. C

Kale might be bad for you if you have elevated liver enzymes or try to gain weight

Kale contains bile acid sequestrants. BAS bind bile acids in the intestine and prevents them from doing their job (fat digestion). As a result, the liver has to produce even more of them and since it uses LDL cholesterol to do that, it will lower your LDL cholesterol levels. Ursodiol is one of...
  9. C

Exercises to correct that CF-related slouch?

Exercises to correct that CF-related slouch? My shoulders are rotated frontward, I have a typical CF-related kyphosis. I started training the muscles in my upper back in the hopes that it will improve my condition, but I don't really have any idea whether what I'm doing is really going to help...
  10. C

Virtual Photo Walks : Walking the walk for those who can't

Virtual Photo Walks Walk the Walk for Those who Can't. +Virtual Photo Walks on Google+ is a project to allow people using Google+ to be interactive citizens again. Utilizing the hangout feature and smart phones, people are able to visit and interact, with smart phone enabled photographers...
  11. C

Leg pain when at rest, helped by moving/standing?

I've had this infrequent pain that sometimes happens in my tights, knees, shins, ankles or whole leg all the way to my foot arch that partially or completely goes away when moving or standing up and walking. It's not really helped by massaging the area(s). The pain itself is always diffuse and...
  12. C

Hypertonic saline burning your throat?

I'm calling the users of hypertonic saline. Does it happen that it burns your throat so much that it's unbearable? Does it happens only when your throat is especially irritated or is it always like that? I went to the hospital to try it today and after the second breath, it was burning my throat...
  13. C

Nomenclature for describing mutations

"<em><strong>Nomenclature for describing mutations: </strong></em> <em><strong>Amino acid substitutions.</strong> Use the one letter codes A=ala, C=cys, D=asp, E=glu, F=phe, G=gly, H=his, I=iso, K=lys, M=met, N=asp, P=pro, Q=gln, R=arg, S=ser, T=thr, V=val, W=trp, Y=tyr, X=stop. <strong>R117H or...
  14. C

Prednisone withdrawal effects

My doctor gave me a regimen of prednisone to take for 2 and a half week. It went like this : Using 5mg caplets 8 caplets x 3 days6 caplets x 3 days4 caplets x 3 days3 caplets x 3 days2 caplets x 3 days1 caplets x 3 daysExcept that instead of doing 2 caplets for 3 days, I did 2 caplets x 1 day...
  15. C

Any drink/smoothie I can make in bulk?

Do you know of any smoothie or drink receipe that is overly nutritive and can be made and stored in bulk in the fridge for whenever I get hungry? I really, really hate having to prepare food and think of what to eat and as a result I skip meals every day and can often go a day without a full...
  16. C

It is possible to get Kalydeco in Canada

<p class="strong">I just called Vertex. The representative told me that we can have access to Kalydeco in Canada through our Named Patient Program, which is called "Special Access Programme" <p class="strong">Quoting Health Canada : "<em>The Special Access Programme (SAP) provides access to...
  17. C

CF related Sunburns? (Not caused by antibiotics)

Are you getting sunburnt? I met a CF friend today at the climic and she told me that she also doesn't tan and only gets sunburns. It has always been like that for me, even when not taking antibiotics that causes photosensitivity. I'm so white! <span style="text-decoration...
  18. C

Fluoroquinolones and prednisone interaction

The last time I took Levaquin, I was also given comcomittent prednisone. The effect was disastrous on my joints, tendons and muscles, although THANKFULLY it didn't cause any long term damage. So I have found a study that supports this. Read it here : <a...
  19. C

Read this! Aggressive antibiotic treatments may not always be the best answer

First, my own testimony.In the last 4 years, I had something like 6 courses of IV antibiotics. It is my opinion that I did not need most of them. I was pretty much stable. Not a high stable, but stable nonetheless. I had been around 40%-37% FEV1 for at least 2 years.What was happening is that...
  20. C

My experience with Levaquin

Background : I have 2 pseudomonas strains. They both show in vitro resistance to everything I can be given in intraveinous therapy. They are sensitive to Tazocin, but I'm allergic to it. They used to be very sensitive in vitro and in vivo to Ceftazidime, but now they both seem to have developped...