Search results

1. F

Eflow / Trio nebulizer used by kids

My son (age 6) just started using a Trio/eflow nebulizer and my question is this: Given the speed at which the meds get vaporized, might my son actually be getting LESS of the medicine than with his old slow jet nebulizer? Has anyone asked their Dr. about this or do any of the older patients...
  2. F

Pari LC neb suppliers

Does anyone have a favorite online source to buy Pari LC plus nebulizer cups? My son's clinic stopped using this brand so our gravy train of free samples ran out (after 5 years) and it is a hassle dealing with the insurance co. limit of 2 new ones every six months. I just want to buy a case...
  3. F

Aztreonam approval delayed

I think yesterday's letter from FDA was unexpected - my son's Dr. had been talking about it as a done-deal. "SAN FRANCISCO -- Gilead Sciences Inc. said late Tuesday it received a letter from the Food and Drug Administration informing the company that it cannot approve aztreonam lysine in its...
  4. F

Long-term Augmentin use

My son's CF Dr. tells us to give him augmentin whenever he has a cold that turns into a cough. But his colds last forever and in May he was on augmentin for the entire month. But then a couple days after we stopped it, he started coughing more. It sounds more like inflammation than mucus so...
  5. F

Turn "economic stimulus" into CF stimulus

The US President's proposal last week to hand out money to taxpayers (& maybe non-tax payers depending on how Congress handles it) seems to me like an opportunity to put CF charities at the top of our "how I'll spend the money" list. It's basically free, unearned money anyway so how about we...
  6. F

Upcoming PICC for 4 year-old

My boy is going in Thanksgiving week to get set up for a round of home-IV. He is experienced with the whole routine and is pretty brave but when the nurse comes to change the dressing & statlock after the 1st week, it is total mayhem. The biggest problem is that the statlock device they use at...
  7. F

Part time jobs with benefits

I spotted this in my daily web news-cruise and thought it might be of interest. If the link does not work, the place I saw it was on msn.com on the homepage today. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge...
  8. F

Airway Clearance troubles

My 4 year old w/CF is taking albuterol, flovent, pulmicort, pulmozyme and colistin twice a day (just once for pulmozyme) and spending 40 minutes with the vest and does his best to huff and cough during it. He also did a round of IVs back in July, but over the past 4 months his CF doc says his...
  9. F

Baby food recall

I just spotted this today. copied below from the company web site: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.earthsbest.com/press/20070216-recall-notice.php ">http://www.earthsbest.com/pres...216-recall-notice.php </a> Contact: Earth's Best Consumer Relations...
  10. F

Dishwasher warning

I took apart the door of my dishwasher recently and was completely disgusted with what I found. Inside the door I found black mold and accumulated food/grease slime in abundance. I'm not talking hamster-sized loafs of mold, but rather a layer coating many of the interior plastic & metal...
  11. F

Alimentum recall

FYI: below is an excerpt from the recall notice: WASHINGTON -- A company is recalling about 300,000 bottles of baby formula distributed nationwide because it might not have enough Vitamin C. The bottles were distributed by a division of Abbott health care company. The recall is for...
  12. F

Factive / Gemifloxacin news

Just an FYI in case anybody is prescribed this medicine, below is a clip from a news release I saw this morning: WASHINGTON - An antibiotic proposed as a treatment for acute sinus infections should be studied further because of serious skin reactions associated with its use, federal health...
  13. F

Keeping Hydrated

In case anyone is interested, we recently discovered a product called "SmartWater". It is basically like pediatlyte or unflavored gatorade. Our 3 year old w/CF would not drink pediatlyte or gatorade in any flavor but happily drinks this, which has no taste, but has the extra electrolytes we've...
  14. F

Home IVs for toddlers

Our son w/ CF is 3. He's cultured pseudomonas and the Dr. said they'll let us do the IVs at home this time after a few days in the hospital to get everything set up. I'm pretty happy about not spending time at the hospital, but if anyone has tips to pass along that might help me avoid...
  15. F

Insurance update

A story in the April 11, 2006 Wall Street Journal talks about an increasing number of states passing laws to require insurance companies to continue covering children on parental policies beyond the previously typical age 19 or while in school. For example, the article cites New Jersey passing...
  16. F

Indigestion from ADEKs

I'm suspecting that ADEKs liquid do not set will on my 3 year old's stomach and am wondering if anyone has encountered this. He used SourceCF drops as a baby with no problem then switched to SourcCF tablets but he decided he does not like the tablets so we offered him some ADEKS liquid we have...