Search results

1. R

constant sinus drainage after lung transplant

I had a lung transplant (and liver) in late 2012. I had sinus surgery in December 2013. But I have constant mucus buildup and sinus drainage 24/7. I blow my nose several times a day and cough up stuff often that I know is from the sinus drainage. I do sinus rinses at least once a day, every...
  2. R

Port questions

My first question about ports is how long have you had them? I've had mine for 3.5 years. I want mine out so badly though. I've had a transplant over 2 years ago. I do use it every month for IV IG though. But the annoying part is that I cannot wear 95% of shirts because they all show my...
  3. R

Does anyone know what I can do about my severe barrel chest?

I'm a girl with a very large rib cage (known as a barrel chest). I'm assuming this is due to CF. I'm small everywhere else so it looks really odd. I even had a nurse ask me what was wrong with my rib cage when she was putting on electrodes. I read that the only real way to help this is to...
  4. R

My right side won't stop twitching & feeling bubbly

My side (kind of back side) right below my ribs started feeling gurgly/bubbly (without any noise) last Wednesday. Today there has been pain that has been increasing and my side twitched for half an hour straight. It now twitches on and off with tenderness and it's just uncomfortable. Now my...
  5. R

My heart races when I just walk. I've had a transplant

I've had a double lung and liver transplant in 2012. My lung function is fine and is as high as it's been after the transplant at about 60%. But I started to get palpitations in October. And now my heart races so much whenever I just walk or do anything that is somewhat physical. I also seem...
  6. R

Does taking immunosuppressants affect body the same as HIV does?

So does taking many immunosuppressants after an organ transplant affect the body the same way as HIV? I know HIV lowers the helper T cells and some immunosuppressants inhibit T cells but I'm not sure if it's the same or causes the same kind of stress on the body. For instance, I'm taking...
  7. R

Crazy tired and caffeine doesn't help

I have been tired for many years so I've been used to it. But lately, it has gotten a little worse. I don't like it because I have classes that I take Monday-Friday so I don't have the time to sleep all day anymore since I have to study and such. Also, I had a double lung and liver transplant...
  8. R

Ringworm after transplant

So I got a double lung and liver transplant last November 2012. I recently got a cat for my birthday in September. We found out she has ringworm though. We have been giving her medicine but it seems to be getting worse. I know ringworm is super contagious so I'm wondering if I should take...
  9. R

I want to become vegan but I need to gain weight

So I've done a lot research on how animals are treated in the meat and dairy farms and it is pretty despicable. Therefor, I want to become vegan but I also need to gain weight. I'm 95 lbs and I'm 5'2''. Is anyone else vegan? Does anyone know a good way to gain weight while being vegan?
  10. R

Can I go to the lake after transplant?

This may seem like a dumb question but I have to ask it anyways. Will it be a bad idea to go out on the lake after a double lung and liver transplant? I'm talking about after 6 months, a year or more afterwards. I'm asking because I don't know if I should sell my jet ski or if I can ever use...
  11. R

how to meet/talk to other cf people

This may seem like a stupid question considering this is a forum where you talk to other CFers and their families.But what is the best way to meet and talk to other CFers? I stay at home almost every day and I'm sooo bored. Thankfully I have a sister (with cf) and a fiance (without cf) and my...
  12. R

portable oxygen concentrator question

I'm looking into getting a portable oxygen concentrator for when I get out of the house (which is kind of rare but I'd like to do it more often). My problem is that most of them only give out the oxygen if you inhale through your nose. My breaths are pretty shallow, therefore I usually don't get...
  13. R

Question

I posted this a few days ago but my post got transferred to the "Transplants" board and I only got one response. Anyways...<span style="font-size: small;">I'm on the list for a double lung and liver transplant. I was wondering if there is a list of things that a transplant patient cannot do or...
  14. R

What can't you do after a transplant?

<span style="font-size: small;">I'm on the list for a double lung and liver transplant. I was wondering ifthere isa list of things that a transplant patient cannot do or have after the transplant? I know that patients can't eat grapefruit and should avoid big crowds.I'm sure there's things that...
  15. R

heart problems with cf?

I was wondering how many of you have heart problems associated with CF? I know that the heart becomes weaker over time with CF. My lung function is around 25% and I'm on oxygen at night and sometimes during the day. But lately I feel as if my heart gets really tired and I get exhausted...
  16. R

throwing up everything from coughing...what to do?

I just got released from the hospital with a few iv antibiotics.  I've been coughing nonstop all day though.  I've thrown up everything that I've eaten and drank.  I haven't even eaten that much because I know I'll probably throw it up.  I have Hydromet Syrup to suppress the cough but I can't...
  17. R

When is it time?

I don't mean to complain but I was just wondering how do you know when your about to die?  I know it's different for everyone but maybe there's a few symptoms that most people have?  I only want to know because I'm soooo exhausted and I feel so ready to just stop breathing.  I'm totally fine...
  18. R

What is the end of life for a CFer like?

I'm just curious as to what happens at the end of a CF persons life?  Is the person most always too sick to breath on their own so they are most always on a ventilator?  Or does the cf patients usually just die in bed at home without any intubation?  I tried looking this up myself but I couldn't...
  19. R

What do you do with your life?

I was wondering what other CFer's do with their life because I have no idea what to do with mine. For example, does anyone have a job/hobby/anything else even though you have to go in the hospital and have doctor appointments frequently? I want a job (at least part time) but I don't know if I...
  20. R

cause of distended abdomen and how to get rid of it

I have a huge distended abdomen and I know the cause is cf. I've read that it develops from constipation but I'm pretty sure that I don't have that. I know many other CFer's have this problem too. What do yall do to decrease it or prevent it?