Search results

1. E

Problems gaining muscle/strength (with CF)

Hi, So I've been weightlifting for the better part of 5-7 years. I've done a fair bit of reading and occasionally worked with a fitness trainer to come up with maybe 4-5 programs over this time. I started out powerlifting (5-3-1 program), some circuit training, and various bodybuilding routines...
  2. E

mucus clearing in throat/trachea? Tips anyone?

I'm surprised I couldn't find this topic, but sometimes I feel so much secretion in my throat I feel the urge to clear my throat a lot, sometimes loudly, sometimes it starts to hurt from this. It's annoying, and could certainly draw attention in public. I recall reading someone said the...
  3. E

I have Cali GHPP and am now offered insurance thru job, do I have to take it?

Only relevant for Californians. Since I've gone part time 2 years ago I wasn't qualified for the core private insurance plan they offer through my work and have used GHPP solely. I haven't had any issues recently with GHPP, only when transitioning, and they cover 100% of costs so I'm hesitant to...
  4. E

Anybody master quieting your cough?

I'm surprised I haven't really seen this come up. Sometimes my cough is frequent and very loud. I'd love to have a solution to muffle the sound significantly. I looked for a device last year, they sell cough mufflers for hunters. I bought one and it's a joke. Just a block with dense foam, but it...
  5. E

Working part time or less. What led you to decision?

So I've posted before about being re-evaluated for my long-term disability benefits. I enrolled 2 years ago to work part time. I'm an engineer, worked full time for most of 8 years. I noticed a correlation between long hours and feeling worse with a gnarlier cough by the end of the day...
  6. E

Californians: GHPP and Dental

I have GHPP only, and they say they cover dental here: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ghpp/Pages/GHPPProviders.aspx But they need a CGP number, I talked to a few and nobody knew what I was talking about. I called 1-800-Dentist who hooked me up with Western Dental, who seem the go-to for CA...
  7. E

online dating and CF disclosure

So I've been playing the online dating game off and on for about 2 years now, on top of getting out in the world and meeting people. I was talking to a friend yesterday, telling him I get a little nervous when I feel the need to explain my coughing. With the online dates I tend to hold back a...
  8. E

Private long-term disability interview

I enrolled in my companies long term disability program about a year ago. After a certain period they send someone in person to evaluate my condition and whether I can work any job full time. I'm an engineer working part time now. I'm pretty nervous about this interview as I thought I'd be...
  9. E

itchy cough & trachea

I've only really noticed this getting bad in the past year. I get this swelling sensation like an itch in what feels like my mid trachea & behind my throat. It's irritating and makes me need to cough, sometimes a lot, some loose mucus comes out and sometimes it feels better for a few seconds or...
  10. E

24hr hand purifier? Anybody familiar with this Qore24 or Amosil-Q?

I just heard an ad on the radio yesterday advertising Qore24, a 24-hour hand purifier, creating a barrier that mechanically destroys pathogens on contact, including MRSA. I just ordered some. And did some googling to try to find something discrediting or verifying it's effectiveness, couldn't...
  11. E

home spirometry?

I've read of at least one CFer who does PFT's at home. I recently looked online and saw a few out there, ranging wildly in price and capabilities. I believe FVC and FEV1 are the most critical. Any recommendations? And will insurance usually cover it? Thanks Eric
  12. E

"fluttering" mucus irritation, increased cough for a year+

So I've had this different kind of mucus symptom the last year or probably more. Many days I get frequent irritation where I can feel and hear mucus fluttering as I inhale. It feels and sounds almost like sucking through a straw with a hole in it. I can feel the vibration and audibly hear it...
  13. E

Coughing judgment at the gym (or any public space)

I've had only about 4 occasions in the last 2 years of gym-going that someone has commented on my coughing. I had just started a weight-training program that has kept me motivated, focused and dilligent about getting to the gym. It's good for my/our health and I'd like to have some more muscles...
  14. E

food to lung symptom correlations?

I don't want to seem like I'm advocating anything here, I know there's a lot of parents in this forum, I'm just asking questions. So, I feel like I've noticed a pattern over a few years that certain foods seem to exacerbate symptoms symptoms of inflammation or congestion, at least temporarily...
  15. E

Partner having fears of being alone

So this issue comes up maybe once or twice a year in our relationship, me and my girlfriend have been going out for over 4 years now. Two of the last years unfortunately she's away at school in Seattle and I'm in San Diego. Anyway, occasionally something happens where she can't stop thinking...
  16. E

Anyone in Orlando, FL have some extra CF vitamins?

Hey folks, I'm on International Blvd in Orlando, just unpacked my meds and realized I brought an empty bottle of mephyton and 2 CF Source Softgels, duh. I've got plenty I left at home. I kinda need the vitamin k in the CF water soluble vitamins particularly since I'm a chronic bleeder. So...
  17. E

N-acetyl Cysteine

Not to alarm anyone, but have any of you experienced or heard of CFer's having hemoptysis after taking NAC? It doesn't make sense and I doubt there's a correlation, but I'm a chronic bleeder and try and keep track of any cause and effects I can find. After hearing about NAC off and on the past...
  18. E

Ordering regulated Probiotics & other supplements outside US?

So I need to take probiotics, I'm on a lot of antibiotics right now, but more importantly it helps prevent hemoptysis (bleeding) by improving the absorption of vitamin k. So supplements such as these are unregulated in the US but I saw a post recently about ordering supplements from canada or...
  19. E

Incessant throat clearing & voice loss

I guess it's been going on for years, but it seems worse lately. I asked my doc a couple years ago about the annoying throat clearing, I almost continuously feel the urge to clear my throat. She advised I be more dilligent w/ airway clearance, get a vest, etc. Well, I've done that and I still...
  20. E

"reasonable accommodations" at work, CFer in Cali

So I was working the previous year as a part time employee and collecting CA state disability to supplement lost work hours. It's expired, I've been promoted and am working more, 35-40 hours per week. I worked full time for 2.5 years before going part time. Anyway, our policy is that part time...