Search results

1. G

Tell me about Houston, Texas Clinics

We are considering moving to Houston for work for a few years. We are wondering what Houston's hospitals and CF Clinics are like. We are currently in Calgary, Alberta Canada. We have two kids with CF (age 7 and 4) and so far their health has been excellent. Calgary has a cool dry climate...
  2. G

Creon 10 to Pancrease 16

My kids (age 4 and 7) have both been given a bigger enzyme. My daughter who is 4 years old rejects it completely. Any ideas on how to get my daughter to take the enzyme. It is a very big leap I think. Did anybody else have trouble with this and how did you deal with it?
  3. G

Does Cf and Food Alleries go together?

So my kids have no food allergies. But to me I seem to be asked if my kids have food allergies a lot more than other parent's ofkids without CF.I thinking of one casewhere the preschool teacher askeda classof parentsif their child had allergies to peanutsandshe looked at me when she said it...
  4. G

Interesting Article on Outcome and Hospital Clinic

<br>I don't know if anybody has posted this before but it is a very good read for me. Interesting what Doctors do at some clinics that make them better than others. <a...
  5. G

How long before eating should one take enzymes?

<br>My son is 6 years old and in grade 1 and he was given the responsibility of taking his own enzymes. The teacher is wondering ifmy sontakes them all the time (they saw one on the floor)and is wondering if she should administer them herself. The simplest solution for everyone is for the...
  6. G

How do you handle seeing somebody on supplimental oxygen?

<br>My son was in a summer camp, a reptile camp to be exact, and at the end of each day everybody went to look at all the animal displays.  And I am with my kids who both have CF and they of course want to see all the animals.  The only problem is that one of the other parent who looks about 30...
  7. G

Jazz Singer with CF double lung transplant

I read this in the newspaper today. Not sure if people not in Canada would get this so here it is. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge...
  8. G

Newspaper Article on More Organ Donors

I thought this was interesting. It might increase the number of lung donors. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="ftp://http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/changes-in-care-for-organ-donors-could-double-available-lungs/article1838038/">Newspaper </a>
  9. G

Can you just go up and buy Ataluren (PTC 124)

This is more funny to me than anything. But can you just go and buy Ataluren because I found this in a google search. I wouldnt buy it myself. But I just saw it and was wondering. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge...
  10. G

Ataluren (PTC124) Are study participants close to finishing?

I am just wondering as I haven't heard anything as of late. Some of you were doing the long term study and I was just wondering how close are you to finishing. I know over a public forum you can't say how things went so please don't tell that.
  11. G

Medical Alert Bracelet

So we got a pamphlet from my son's school for a free Medical Alert Bracelet. Perhaps as a well intended precaution. But is there a reason why a child with CF would need a Medical Alert Bracelet (it is free). I don't really think one is necessary as my son has no Asthma, Diabetes or Allergies...
  12. G

Article in Canadian Magazine on CF

I just found this and thought people elsewhere might not see it. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/08/30/surviving-cystic-fibrosis/">Surviving CF</a>
  13. G

Spin: At what age did you quit needing applesauce to swallow enzymes?

Just a spin on crickit715's post. I just wondered what age most CFers quit needed applesauce to swallow their enzymes? For my kids it was 18 months for my son and 1 year for my daughter.
  14. G

Why do I have bad lungs Mommy?

So last night my 4 year old asked me that very question and I wasn't sure how to answer it. He knows he gets Pulmozyme and does daily chest percussions and he takes Crean 10's and a few other meds. Recently he picked up a bug, for the first time, and it was Influenza, however, until now he...
  15. G

I never thought anything was the matter with my son

But on my son's throat swab it came back for Influenza Flu. I knew he had a touch of the stomach flu one day and he has had this almost low grade cough the last few days. The cough deceived me because he would cough like maybe 4 times a day and it wasn't much if any mucus. It wasn't like any...
  16. G

Does CF affect.....

muscle strength. I think I read that somewhere before and I wondered what everyone's experience was. I am asking because my 4 year old almost 5 year old has difficulty in doing a push up in Karate. He also is having some problems learning to skate.
  17. G

How Often Does One Get a Broncoscopy?

Every 2 years? I am asking how often because my son last got one in March 2007. Would they be calling us to have one done in the New Year?
  18. G

Tech Problems: Is it just me or is the CF site acting up?

Am I the only one having this technical problem. It is not a big deal it is more annoying than anything. But everytime I try to open the 6th topic I open the 7th one instead. Is there an easy way to fix it if it is just me?
  19. G

Happy New Year

I just wanted to wish everyone out there a very happy new year! I hope 2009 treats you well, and that everyone have a healthy happy year! See you all next year.
  20. G

Report Lung Transplants Living Longer

An interesting report on Canadian lung transplants and transplants in general. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge...