Search results

1. L

IVF

Just an FYI, on Wednesday, my wife delivered our second son--a healthy 7lb 13oz boy. God bless IVF. If anyone has any questions re: IVF, I have become somewhat of an expert :)
  2. L

I need a change ...

I looked at it like this: without a TX, I will die. With a TX, there is a chance. I took that chance and every time I run, play with my son, or whatever else I "used to" do, I thank God my wife MADE me get listed. I was terrified of a TX---the night before I told my doctor that I wanted to be...
  3. L

I need a change ...

I looked at it like this: without a TX, I will die. With a TX, there is a chance. I took that chance and every time I run, play with my son, or whatever else I "used to" do, I thank God my wife MADE me get listed. I was terrified of a TX---the night before I told my doctor that I wanted to be...
  4. L

I've got a cold - Can I still work out?

Just a note: exercise will temporarily lower your immune system. The rule of thumb I always use with my clients is that if the cold is on its way in, lay low and take it easy. If the cold is on the way out, a good bout of exercise (huffing and puffing) will help clear you out. One final note...
  5. L

I've got a cold - Can I still work out?

Just a note: exercise will temporarily lower your immune system. The rule of thumb I always use with my clients is that if the cold is on its way in, lay low and take it easy. If the cold is on the way out, a good bout of exercise (huffing and puffing) will help clear you out. One final note...
  6. L

Testosterone or Anabolic steroids

Injected anabolic steroids bypass the liver and thus, no harmful effects. Pills, however, must pass through the liver and at high enough doses, can cause liver problems.
  7. L

Injected anabolic steroids bypass the liver and thus, no harmful effects. Pills, however, must pass through the liver and at high enough doses, can cause liver problems.
  8. L

When to go on the transplant list

Glad to hear that Dave---you just saved your own life! Best of luck to you. I'm excited for you because I know life after TX---and it can be a beautiful thing.
  9. L

Glad to hear that Dave---you just saved your own life! Best of luck to you. I'm excited for you because I know life after TX---and it can be a beautiful thing.
  10. L

wondering if i am almost there for a transplant

Like others, I would highly advise you start the process. It took me a solid year from my initial consult to TX. I started at about 26% FEV1 (I have no idea what it was at the lowest---I was too weak to take the test-- Once you've done all your testing, sit back and relax with the peace of...
  11. L

wondering if i am almost there for a transplant

Like others, I would highly advise you start the process. It took me a solid year from my initial consult to TX. I started at about 26% FEV1 (I have no idea what it was at the lowest---I was too weak to take the test-- Once you've done all your testing, sit back and relax with the peace of...
  12. L

Same here, Joseph. I was in complete denial. Thanks to Dr. McArdle (Yale) who shocked me into realizing that the end was near. Without that, I wouldn't be here. This is why I tell people not to wait for a doctor to do what Dr. McArdle had done for me.
  13. L

Same here, Joseph. I was in complete denial. Thanks to Dr. McArdle (Yale) who shocked me into realizing that the end was near. Without that, I wouldn't be here. This is why I tell people not to wait for a doctor to do what Dr. McArdle had done for me.
  14. L

Jerry Cahill got the call for Lung Transplant

That's too bad. I had 3 false alarms at Columbia. It's tough....very tough. Jerry, hang in there!
  15. L

Jerry Cahill got the call for Lung Transplant

That's too bad. I had 3 false alarms at Columbia. It's tough....very tough. Jerry, hang in there!
  16. L

LOL
  17. L

LOL
  18. L

It will lead to muscle gain, which is great for CF'ers. However, too much muscle will back-fire because muscle requires oxygen. Extra muscle (beyond normal range) isn't good for low PFTs. If a doc has RX'ed the hormones, then chances are you'll put on just a few pounds.
  19. L

It will lead to muscle gain, which is great for CF'ers. However, too much muscle will back-fire because muscle requires oxygen. Extra muscle (beyond normal range) isn't good for low PFTs. If a doc has RX'ed the hormones, then chances are you'll put on just a few pounds.
  20. L

Dave, you should stop waiting to see what may happen because it won't be pretty. Get listed asap. It won't mean you get a new set of lungs by the end of the week. When you're listed, sit back and take care of yourself. Some wait 2 years! THEN, when the time comes and you get sicker, you'll...